DMV-Renewing Drivers license -The real ID ?

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
UPDATE 6/29/2018
I stayed up all night studying. I went to bed about 3am after studying and taking a shower. I woke up at 6:10am and was at the DMV this morning at 7:10am. there was already a line wrapped around the front and side of building. DMV opened at 8am and I was let in the building for writing test by 8:30am. I didn't realize its all done on the computers. I went to one and it was logged in for drivers license application so I went to another computer and there was also two young guys getting ready to start their test too. We watched the video on our individual computer. It asked for my thumbprint but it didn't recognize it. Then I heard the other two guys say it wasn't recognizing theirs too. The lady came over to see my screen and I quickly shoed her my DMV renewal paper and told her I was told I needed to take this written test but its not on my DMV paper of whats needed to renew so do I need to take this test. She looks at it and says it doesn't state you need to take a test. I told her that's what I was told and showed her I was there the day before completed paperwork, did vision test and paid. She took my paper and did something on her computer, printed something out and hands me my new recipet and says "here you go you should get your drivers license in 2 weeks.

Can you believe that!?!?!? I don't know why the other lady thought I needed to take a test. I thought it was horrible to just show up each time and not knowing if there would be a random surprise test, It just didn't seem right to just throw it on people at the last minute. Thank God it all worked out.
Most would be annoyed but I'm just grateful it worked out in the end. Plus I got an early start on a bunch of errands. The morning has been nice and cool. I even took DD out to lunch and we were all done with everything by 11:23am :)
--------------------------------------------------------
I went to the DMV today. Boy do I have a lot of respect for those workers. It was busy and non stop.

Well , I have been able to renew online for several years now. I had to go in 5 years ago to get the updated license that came out 5 years ago. Well I got a renewal notice that I had to
1. go in person
2. take a vision test
3.have thumbprint and photo taken
4. pay $35

I go through all the steps
1. first line info line cuz the man at the door wasn't there. Showed paperwork.Then got sent to line #2
2. line #2 fill out the application on the computer
3. line #3 go show proof again , sign paper, eye test, thumbprint, pay
Then she tells me there's not enough time to take the test so I'm getting a temporary. I'm like test? What kind of test (paper only said eye test)? She says I have to take a written test.
Me: Is this something new? I've beening renewing for years and never had to take a test.
DMV: no its not new. You take a test every 5 years.
ME: But I've never had to take one when renewing
DMV: it random
ME: OMG! I'm nervous now . I better study. What happens if I fail?
DMV: You've been driving for years, you'll be fine

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God it was closing time and I didn't have to take the test right then and there!!!! DMV lady was nice and gave me a book to study

She said its only 18 questions

Has anyone had this happen? I've been driving for 28 years and no tickets or accidents(knock on wood). Please tell me theres a mix up and I don't have to take the written test-lol! So any advice on do I need to study the entire dmv book, just study the new laws any tips or advice??? Yes, I'm stressing. Test anxiety. I was there 2 hours but was told just walk in and tell them I'm here to test

Last edited:
I went to the DMV today. Boy do I have a lot of respect for those workers. It was busy and non stop.

Well , I have been able to renew online for several years now. I had to go in 5 years ago to get the updated license that came out 5 years ago. Well I got a renewal notice that I had to
1. go in person
2. take a vision test
3.have thumbprint and photo taken
4. pay $35

I go through all the steps
1. first line info line cuz the man at the door wasn't there. Showed paperwork.Then got sent to line #2
2. line #2 fill out the application on the computer
3. line #3 go show proof again , sign paper, eye test, thumbprint, pay
Then she tells me there's not enough time to take the test so I'm getting a temporary. I'm like test? What kind of test (paper only said eye test)? She says I have to take a written test.
Me: Is this something new? I've beening renewing for years and never had to take a test.
DMV: no its not new. You take a test every 5 years.
ME: But I've never had to take one when renewing
DMV: it random
ME: OMG! I'm nervous now . I better study. What happens if I fail?
DMV: You've been driving for years, you'll be fine

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God it was closing time and I didn't have to take the test right then and there!!!! DMV lady was nice and gave me a book to study

She said its only 18 questions

Has anyone had this happen? I've been driving for 28 years and no tickets or accidents(knock on wood). Please tell me theres a mix up and I don't have to take the written test-lol! So any advice on do I need to study the entire dmv book, just study the new laws any tips or advice??? Yes, I'm stressing. Test anxiety. I was there 2 hours but was told just walk in and tell them I'm here to test
I would probably start with finding my state's official DMV website. (Watch out for fakes.) See what it says about the rules for renewal.
I wouldn't be happy either if this happened to me. But, if it is something the DMV can do randomly in your state they can do just that.

I’m in CA. I’m just shocked it wasn’t listed on my dmv renewal paperwork that I needed to do a written test. I can understand if I had tickets or accidents. I’ve been practicing :/

With CA, A road test may be administered if a Department of Motor Vehicles employee believes there’s a reason at any age. Basically they can choose random just like TSA does random searches.

With CA, A road test may be administered if a Department of Motor Vehicles employee believes there’s a reason at any age. Basically they can choose random just like TSA does random searches.
I'm only 46 . I dont have any ticket or accidents. Never been arrested . Clean record. I'm just confused because it wasn't stated on my paper. You would think to atleast prepare the person.

I'm trying to search but it mentions senior or 70+ and yes there are so many fake pages uugh!

Anyone work for Ca DMV? Are there random written test for driver license renewals (I got the new" real id" ) Or why am I having to take it after all these years? Will I have to do it every 5 years?

Maybe she wanted to make sure they got out on time at night and randomly chose every single person in line but told them there wasn't time.

I'd try another DMV office, it may not have been noted in the system that you have to take the test. Who knows though.

I'm trying to search but it mentions senior or 70+ and yes there are so many fake pages uugh!

Anyone work for Ca DMV? Are there random written test for driver license renewals (I got the new" real id" ) Or why am I having to take it after all these years? Will I have to do it every 5 years?
I'm in CA too and your experience sounds so fishy to me! My dad, who turned 76 this year, had to go in to DMV to renew his license. He needed a eye test and he had to take the written test also. When he got the notice in the mail several months ago, he was told he was going to have to pass the written test. I'm assuming it was because of his age. He was so worried and nervous about failing it. He picked up the drivers handbook and studied hard. They also have practice tests that I think you can take online. I went with him for moral support and also because he wanted to be able to take an actual written test, everything is on the computers now. He is old school that way. I tried to explain to the lady there his anxiousness, but she insisted he try the bank of computers they have you take the test on. She said they are transitioning to all online, no more written tests. It's a touch screen and she showed him how to get started. I think he was more worried about not being able to go back and change an answer he was stumped on. I think you're right about there being 18 questions- I think it depends on if you keep getting them correct. If that happens then you don't go through all the questions. At least that was my dad's experience. Anyway, I do believe anybody can be required to take a written test when they renew, but they have to give notice.

I'd try another DMV office, it may not have been noted in the system that you have to take the test. Who knows though.
Her post mentions she was given a temporary license. I would think once that happens, the DMV knows what her status is.

Happened to my DH last week and he is still dealing with it. He was also told that it was a random selection but for him, he is a commercial driver and holds (I think) 7 different kinds of licenses. He has to retake all the written tests (each test having as many as 100 questions). He is not a happy camper right now. Of course after waiting forever in line, he was only able to get through 2 of the tests so he had to go back the next day. But the second person wanted additional proof of ID. She would not just take his passport, she also wanted his SS card but would not take his since it is laminated (something his mother did when he was 10 and he has used it successfully for everything since). I just can't believe what they are putting him through there and because he is a commercial driver, his job depends on him getting this all straightened out.

That's crazy! I'm in CA, I thought only seniors needed to retake a written test. I hope this doesn't happen to me! :scared:

That's crazy! I'm in CA, I thought only seniors needed to retake a written test. I hope this doesn't happen to me! :scared:
Did you read my update on my first post. I didn't have to retake it. I guess there was a mistake worker thought I needed to but it wasn't on my paper. It was the end of the day around 5:45pm so she was probably ready to go home or it done to see if they get extra money?? You have 3 trys to pass the test if you don't you have to pay another fee to retake again

She looks at it and says it doesn't state you need to take a test.
See my response in post 9 for your explanation. The previous worker seems to have found a way to make people go away near the end of a long day.

I'm in NJ and have never had to test to renew. I've only had to physically go to DMV a few times to get a new picture. Usually I can renew via mail.

Perhaps they retest after a certain age but I'm not certain about that.

My half brother had to go in to take a written test when he turned 83. He had to take it 3 times to get a passing grade. He hasn't had a ticket or accident since 1968.

My mom never had to go in an take a test up to age 90. She never had an accident or ticket ever. Both are in California.

I will have to go in next year, and my wife this year to get a Real ID in California. Since we can't discuss politics here, I can only say our lawmakers are IDIOTS IMHO for setting things up in a manner where our licenses don't meet Real ID criteria.

Mom had to take the written test when she turned 70. She did not pass :( But she hasn't driven in 10+ years, she said she wanted it for emergencies, but there's always someone with her. There is a free Senior ID in CA but they wouldn't process it the same day. ARGH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!