Do I have any other options here? Sister conned my dad into buying a trailer and has stopped making payments.

As I was on the phone with my dad and the finance company, my sister said she would make the payment and did so that's the update on that. I spoke with three attorneys, one in MI and two in Ohio (my dad is in MI and the trailer was purchased from a dealer in OH.) Those conversations were not encouraging. My dad is now getting in home help from the VA so I'm happy about that. Family dynamics can be tricky sometimes. I will take the momentary calm for now. I have no choice. This situation nearly put me in the hospital from stress.

I voluntarily surrendered the trailer the other day and the finance company came and picked it up. We will see how things work out from here. My sister called and made a payment, thinking that would save it but it did not. I am glad it didn't. It is just less my dad will have to pay after the trailer is auctioned. The driver from the tow company could not have been nicer and more professional. He said he felt sorry for my dad and went through something similar with his own family. I did get an increase in hours of care for my dad from the VA. But they can't administer meds, only give med reminders. Onto the next hurdle.

I voluntarily surrendered the trailer the other day and the finance company came and picked it up. We will see how things work out from here. My sister called and made a payment, thinking that would save it but it did not. I am glad it didn't. It is just less my dad will have to pay after the trailer is auctioned. The driver from the tow company could not have been nicer and more professional. He said he felt sorry for my dad and went through something similar with his own family. I did get an increase in hours of care for my dad from the VA. But they can't administer meds, only give med reminders. Onto the next hurdle.
Thanks for the update. :flower3: Probably the best-case scenario, for sure, but maybe a hard pill to swallow for your Dad's pride. Aging isn't for sissies and caring for our aging parents definitely isn't. Grace and peace.

A clarification. A POA can be executed by any adult to another adult to sign for them in the situations listed on the POA. This does NOT take away the right for the person themselves to sign for anything they want to sign for. People who no longer have the capacity to make decisions for their finances need a Guardian of Estate. This removes their right to enter into loans and other financial contracts. Only their guardian can do so. People who no longer have the capacity to make non financial decisions need a Guardian of Person. That gives the right for the Guardian to make decisions on living arrangements, etc. it’s hard if a person is in an ‘in between stage’ or struggling with making good decisions but not yet incapable. Guardianship is granted by the court and you have file with the court to do so. In Ohio and Michigan it is a county court filing.

It’s hard caring for our elderly parents, and it can be very damaging to our health. That’s why it’s so important to remind yourself that doing your best is enough. And keep reminding yourself of that.

I thought I posted that we voluntarily surrendered the trailer a couple of months ago. It just sold at auction for $6200, leaving a hefty loan balance. We sold my dad's house and he is now in a senior living facility. It has been a whirlwind couple of months. This isn't the perfect outcome but at least he's safe and my sister can't scam him again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter