Do I need a GAC?

bigiainw

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

I am a bit confused. Having read some of the posts regarding the issues around obtaining a GAC, I wonder if I really need bother. I Have visited previously with my mother who has severe arthritis and needs a wheelchair for "endurance issues" but is capable of transfers etc and have never been questioned or denied access to any rides or disabled access areas, but I am visiting WDW for the first time next month with my 6 year old foster son who has CP, is confined to a wheelchair with no independent mobility and a severe learning disability who would have great need of the access which the GAC affords as he cannot wait in lines for long periods and does not like crowded spaces much. He is obviously disabled and is unlikely to be mistaken for able bodied and faking it, so do I still need to get a pass or will his disability itself suffice? I would appreciate any advice anyone could give. There was some advice which I read previously on the wording of a Dr's letter to support the issuing of a GAC. Could anyone point me in the right direction to find this. We see his consultant neurologist tomorrow and would need her to facilitate any letter at this visit.

Many thanks

Iain ::MickeyMo

Iain,

I'll give you a quick answer that I "think" is correct - I believe that if a person is in a wheelchair they do not need to get a GAC because the fact that they are in a wheelchair is "proof" enough as you say. I believe that the GAC is more for those with "invisible" disabilities. I'm sure those with more knowledge will answer your question definitively.

Have a great trip!

Carol

Actually I suspect you should get a GAC. Using a wheelchair will allow you to go through whatever line is wheelchair accessable and for almost all lines that is the regular line that everyone else uses. Since you have additional needs other then just an accessable line you'll need the GAC to explain those needs.

Iain, I stop by Guest Relations at the first park I visit on our vacation. I would suggest you do the same. I think you will feel better. I have never needed anything from my doctor - CMs have always been fine with my word. Have fun!

I Have visited previously with my mother who has severe arthritis and needs a wheelchair for "endurance issues" but is capable of transfers etc and have never been questioned or denied access to any rides or disabled access areas,
Someone in that situation does not need a GAC. The CMs can see the wheelchair and will direct you to the wheelchair accessible access areas. Many of the regular waiting lines are accessible, so you wil often wait in the same lines with everyone else.
I am visiting WDW for the first time next month with my 6 year old foster son who has CP, is confined to a wheelchair with no independent mobility and a severe learning disability who would have great need of the access which the GAC affords as he cannot wait in lines for long periods and does not like crowded spaces much.
Someone in that situation would benefit from a GAC. He has a visible disability and would be directed to the wheelchair access for rides, but he has other needs that are invisible that would not necessarily be met by just having an accessible entrance. The GAC is a tool to let CMs know other things that might be needed - like quieter place to wait, a place to wait away from other people, etc. The GAC is like insurance, not always used, but good to have if you need it. If you are going when the parks are not busy, you may not need to use a GAC at all. Even when we have gone over Easter (one of the busiest times), we have often used DD's GAC only once or twice a day.
There was some advice which I read previously on the wording of a Dr's letter to support the issuing of a GAC. Could anyone point me in the right direction to find this. We see his consultant neurologist tomorrow and would need her to facilitate any letter at this visit.
Although some people do bring letters, you don't need one and legally, they can't ask you to provide one. What you do need is to be able to explain what difficulties the person will have or, if you can, what sorts of conditions they need. "He can't wait in line" isn't helpful to the CMS. It's much more helpful to explain the situation a little - "He needs a quieter place for waiting in lines because ________ (fill in the blank)" or "He does __________ when waiting in crowded places."

Wow, again SueM gives the absolutely complete answer.
I wish we had someone like SueM in our local inspectional services dept when we were getting a building permit so we could install a lift, an elevator and accessible bathrooms in our home; instead we had six months of back and forth to City Hall getting incomplete info every time. ugh. All done now tho :)

With regard to the OP, I agree, you should get your boy a GAC, as there are still some "invisible" issues it would help with. I also have a 6 yr old wheelchair-bound boy, with very similar issues. Perhaps another time you are there with him the two of them can have a race :teeth: (DS loves going fast in WC; not totally safe, yes, but the smiles....)

Thanks all for your help. I can only echo pumpkinboy's reply in that you are indeed the tops Sue!!:bounce:

Thanks for the kind words.
I'm an RN and used to being thorough and I enjoy giving information, so it's really nice to have a place where it is useful to be able to do those two things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter