Do I really need bug spray? Solid or spary air freshener?

kangaroodle

DVC Member
Are there a lot of mosquitoes that I would need to bring bug spray? I will be on the May 10th Western cruise if that helps anyone answer.

I've seen a lot of people mention bringing air freshener for the bathrooms. Is a solid room freshener OK or is a spray like Glade better?

Thanks for any info!!! Kathy:p

Although I've never had problems with mosquitos, on one of our cruises I was severely bitten by something...maybe sand fleas? I ran around with giant flea bite looking lumps for the rest of the cruise. I suspect it was something that I was allergic to. It only happened once, and never to hubby, but now we always bring bug repellant sun screen just to be safe.
Personally, I would bring one of the sprays from Bath & Body Works. They come in a small spray bottle, and they are POWERFUL.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Sand Gnats - Be afraid, very afraid !

Avon Skin-So-Soft, or the OFF! knockoff called Skintastic is about the only defense I know of that helps. Key West (mangrove swamps) and whatever the swampy areas in Cozumel are called breed Mosquitos. The Gnats breed in sandy soil. As long as the wind is blowing you should be OK (from both Mosquitos and the Sand Gnats). I think it's the fragrance of these products that keeps the Gnats away.

Your normal bug spray will do little to deter a Sand Gnat. These critters are called "No-See-Ums" and will tear you up.

Lots of posts a couple months back about the Sand Gnats at Castaway Cay.

GenieDana,
Do the sand gnats tend to come out more when it's wet? And do they hang around the sand? The only different thing when I got all bitten up was that it had rained just enough to wet down the sand, and I spent more time than usual in a lounge chair reading. I'm wondering if the wetness got them stirred up and if they jumped up out of the sand to chow down on me!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

As others will probably testify from experience, there may be some truth to moisture theory??? Experts help me!

We don't really have that many in Tallahassee to speak of (North Florida), but growing up and spending time in central-west Florida they seemed to come out in the morning, before it heats up, then return again in the evenings. With the high humidity, when objects are cool, condensation forms (even without rain). Temperature / moisture may be the keys to their activity???

Some more information on these critters:

http://www.lowcountrynow.com/stories/040302/LOCgnats.shtml

http://www.bugspray.com/article/sandflies.html

Hmmmm, just when you think it's safe to come off the ship.....

Rae

I was not bothered by either bugs nor bathroom smell....I wouldn't waste the packing space packing air freshener, there was no need for one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter