Do kids really like GF?

DisOrBust

<font color=CC66CC>Tag Fairy does tags only, the A
I am struggling as I do every year on deciding which resort for my Families trip (DH, 3DDs 4months hopefully,5 and 8yo and 70ish parents). Ever year I hear from my parents that they aren't sure if they can make another trip with their health blah, blah blah.... they go and my Dad out runs me at the parks,lol! Dad has always expressed a wish of staying at GF and I almost did it last year but was read the riot act by my girls for AKL. THEY lLOVE AKL!! Would they be dissapointed at GF? I am think for4 nights gf/5nights AKL. After reading the horrible gf thread I am begining to doubt my decision. I just think the POLy or AKL is more fun for a kid or am I wrong?? It would truely kill me to go to GF and be so dissapointed in our stay. I am thinking of being safe at aKL then sorry? Any thoughts?

Last year, I stayed at the Poly and was able to walk around the GF a few mornings. They were just putting the finishing touches on the new pool, complete with mountain, slide and new bathrooms next to pool. The view of the MK is fantastic, and at night it is magical. The Electric Water Pageant can be seen every evening from GF's beach. Two years ago my friend and I had the pleasure of attending GF's "Afternoon Tea.'' I must tell you that you, your 2 older girls and Mom would ADORE this special treat! In the beautiful lobby there is always live music playing (or so it seems). From a lone pianist to the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra, you are always entertained. The other major benefit from staying at the GF is the proximity by monorail to the MK. I do not think you would be disappointed, as it will make your daughters feel like Alice or Mary Poppins, your Mom will feel like a Dutchess and you will come out smelling like a rose!
All the best, Wilma:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

The Grand Floridian is a gorgeous resort. I had my parents stay there when they came down to visit. I think I spoiled them, because now that's the only place they want to go!

But, I'd say, give it a shot... for your Dad. If he's anything like mine, you will have made his day. As for the girls... I'm sure they will love it as well. The GF has a beautiful new pool that they just built about a year ago... complete with waterfall, and water slide. You can rent Water Mice, and go playing around the lagoon... or watch the fireworks at night from the beach. Plus, it's on the Monorail. So... let them read you the riot act... and then "Okay, yeah, you're right, we love this too" later on. :)

We stayed at the GF for two nights last September, just after they opened the new pool. The grounds are really lovely, and it's so nice to take the boat to MK, or the monorail. The rooms are OK, pretty but nothing special, and the food at Gasparilla's was OK too. Self parking there is a royal pain, about a 1/2 mile hike across the road! My DD was 10, and not impressed by the pool, but she is spoiled from stays at BC. And we had a horrible time with our rooms, a party next door the first night, and when we tried to switch the next day they sent us to several smelly rooms before we found a nice one! But our second night there was in a nice room overlooking the marina. I think it was probably not a "garden view" room. Our family has no desire to stay there again, but our experience was probably not the norm. Diana

We were wondering the same thing as you and decided to go with the GF. We like that there are two pools, the monorail/boat is great to MK with little ones and the grounds are beautiful so it will be nice to walk around. We are leaving in four weeks and can't wait!

The whole of our family LOVE the GF.

We have a 3 y/o son and he loves the resort, especially The GF kids club.

I would give GF a try - it is a maginificent place to stay.

:)

Well, although we haven't stayed there, it is definitely on the list of resorts that DD wants to stay. It is gorgeous, most of the kids extra activities take place here, and they have a brand new pool. Not only that, it is so cool to stay one stop away from the Magic Kingdom. If we didn't go so often, perhaps we could afford to stay there, but I just can't go without my Disney fix, so we stay in a moderate and visit!

I think most of the complaints about the Grand Floridian have been about the concierge service, Royal Palm Club.

Last year we stayed in Boca Chica, lagoon view, and we all enjoyed it, including my 2 DSs who were 10 and 13 at the time :) They even enjoyed having Afternoon Tea with me! Being the only female in the family, DH and DSs have to do some "girly" things with me, but they did enjoy it :)

My sons liked being at the Grand Floridian, they loved the monorail, and boat service to the MK and Polynesian, where we had a few meals.

I think you have a good idea by splitting your stay between the GF and AKL. Good luck and have a great trip! :)

I think you'll love the GF. I say do it for your Dad. When your girls grow up perhaps they'll follow your example and pick a vacation spot that you want to try:D ! Psst...by the way, what did you decide about the Chef's Table? I won't tell a soul;) !

We have stayed at the GF two years in row with our 4 year old twin daughters and 6 year old boy. We have stayed at many other resorts and they just do not compare. The GF people have been fantastic and the kids love the resort. The convienence of resort to the magic Kindom is worth the extra money with kids. You can leave the MK and be in you room in 10 minutes by boat. Then return by monorail. If you have kids their is nothing better than convienience in Disney.

Another vote for the GF. We even stayed in the much talked about RPC this past July and had a fantastic time. Our children, ages 16, 12 and 6 have been going to the GF since our youngest was just 9 months old. First of all, you cannot beat the transportation. Being right on the monorail is especially convenient when you have a little one. So much easier than trying to fold up a stroller and get onto a crowded bus. Secondly, the view of the MK castle, the fireworks and the electric parade are just beautiful. You can hear the train whistle and if the wind is blowing just right, you can hear other sounds from MK attractions. Next is the new zero tolerance pool with waterfall and slide. A lot of fun with my bunch. The quiet pool has kids activities every afternoon. And the beach is great for some sand castle fun. Can't forget Gasparilla's. A counter service restaurant, but surprisingly good food at a decent price. Not easy to find at a Disney resort. And finally, the main building itself. I think your parents would enjoy listening to the house orchestra each evening while relaxing in some very comfortable chairs. Once your girls glance Cinderella's castle and the beautiful light decor of the GF, I'll bet they'll be happy with your choice. It truly is Grand.

Tammi

Originally posted by TammiMcMan
Next is the new zero tolerance pool with waterfall and slide.
Tammi

Sorry Tammi, couldn't resist- I can just see the CM's all dressed as cops berating anyone running in the pool area or using unapproved flotation items :p

:teeth: That's what happens when I try to do 2 things at once. I was working on a soccer newsletter for our town and I had just finished typing something about zero tolerance at the games. Silly me, definitely meant zero entry. Although they were quite loud about the no running thing.

Tammi

I am a big fan of the GF. We were there with our DD 3yo at the time and she loved it! The little child sized couch and table and chairs with a tv with Disney movies was DD favorite in the lobby. The band playing in the evenings was a great way to unwind and relax after a day at the parks. We thought the room was beautiful, and very spacious. Gasparilla grill was very good fast food in our opinion and had all types of foods for kids and adults.
Yes the parking lot is far away but all you need to do if you are leaving the resort to go to your car, ask the bellman to take you to your car via the little trams they have, we did this all the time after they told us about it.(we tipped him) When we came back DH would drop me and DD at the front and then park the car. Once DD was asleep in my arms when we came back from AK off the bus and the bellman offered us a ride to our room. It's little things like that that made our stay magical. The transportation is great, the beach was so relaxing and just the ambiance of the place makes it our favorite resort. If you want or need more specifics just ask, I still have my newsletter they give you when you check in that has a list of activities and other stuff. Stay at the GF, you will love it. And as for all the negatives you've been reading, I think that has been for the RPC-concierge.

Thanks for the responses! I do think the girls will like it and we are splitting with AKL so they will get their "fix",lol! I am looking forward to using the monorail and not having to deal withe the stroller folding on the bus for a few days. The DH is even warming up to the idea of the GF. I always wanted to do it once, as well as the Poly, but I think this year the GF will win out. I just worry about setting expectations to high, I did that CSR and was dissapointed.

FYI..As far as the Chefs table was concerned....I got off that pony after the "barbeque" of a thread! Right now I am planing on the dinning room for my parents only UNLESS I get brave and try in room sitting. If we stay at GF I might be up for that challenge since I would be at the same resort. I very nice Diser who lives in Kissimee offered even to sit for me . Restored my faith in the Dis!!

I don't need to add anything here, it's all been said. So just add our family as "those who love the Grand Flo".

Anna

:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter