Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock_doctor

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

Property wide policy... They can come in the rooms anytime they want plus they will inspect each and every room, every day. Not a big deal in the cash sales rooms as they get housekeeping every day but the one thing i liked about dvc was that nobody bothered you. The do not disturb signs are gone...replaced with the one below. They said monorail resorts first then the rest later on.

Found out the hard way when they swapped out my do not disturb sign today with the one below...the maid walked in on me when i was walking around the room in my undies....

Did you have the deadbolt locked on the door, or were you depending on the DND to keep people out? Just wondering if they are able to bypass all the locking mechanisms. I would hate not to be able to bathe or change clothes for two weeks for fear someone would come in while I was doing so. If someone walked in on me in a state of undress, when I had the door locked, Disney would owe me some serious compensation.

Yep. The new policy was implemented today and there have been hints that it was launched because of what happened in Las Vegas a couple of months ago.

We were at BLT earlier this month and even though I had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door (at 0810, mind you) the maid walked in on me while I was getting dressed. My grandmother, aunt, and daughter had left about 15 minutes prior to get something to eat at Contempo Cafe and I didn't flip the deadbolt back in case they needed to come back into the room for something.

Yep. The new policy was implemented today and there have been hints that it was launched because of what happened in Las Vegas a couple of months ago.
I guess I should know this, but what happened in Las Vegas a couple of months ago?

No big deal for us. They always knock in our experience. Sometimes at 8 am!!! (they come back later)

I'm sure people will get outraged because you are worried about naps or something, but I'm sure it will be fine.

I've read people who are VERY upset about it and it makes me wonder how often you go to Disney that a new policy that housekeeping will pop in once a day, everyday would get you this upset? In our case, if for one week every three years or so housekeeping is coming in our room, I think we can handle it. ;)

All the inside/outside noises that happen at the resorts during the day, a knock on the door isn't going to make a whole bunch of difference. Besides, if you already expect housekeeping, that's your visit. They aren't coming back again.

Sorry, don't agree with the outrage with this one. That guy in Vegas had an arsenal that would have been noticed had someone been in the room - different times now, like it or not.

Last edited:

There are chain lock still? Not usually an actual chain but a slotted bar you flip across a post on the door.

That's the only way to keep visitors out without bringing your own lock with you.

I don’t have a problem with housekeeping coming in daily. I didn’t even take advantage of the gift card for no housekeeping offer at Pop last week, because I want housekeeping. What I don’t want is housekeeping walking in on me while showering or dressing (which for now, it appears the deadbolt will still prevent that) or waking me up by knocking on my door before I am ready to get up (and I typically sleep until 10:00-11:00). There needs to be a way to let housekeeping know the most convenient time block for visiting your room for minimum disruption. I feel horrible for the two pp who were walked in on with their sign up.

I’m just concerned about leaving our kids in the room alone (they are 15 and 10). Sometimes DH and I will go grab a drink and leave them to shower, watch tv, etc. They would be scared if someone tried to get in the room.
That's definitely something to think about now. My kids are 11 and 14 and we spend good chunks of time at our resort. We are all in and out of our room all day. In the past, I'd just leave the do not disturb sign on our door and not worry.

If I am in the room, the deadbolt stays on at all times. Be vigilant about it!

No way at this point, especially reading what happened to the above and another guest ...... which I consider borderline inappropriate .... would I leave any kids in the room. If that had happened to me ... I would not be letting that go.

I was bathing my two daughters and my husband went to get ice. We had the new DND sign on the door. While in the bathroom, I heard a single light tap on the door. I thought it was my husband and he forgot to take his key. My younger daughter is only 1 1/2 so I could not leave her to check the door. I called "just a minute" but almost immediately after the knock, the door opened and I still thought it was my husband until a strange man walked right into the room and stood outside the bathroom door. My older daughter is almost 4 and very shy and she started to cry. The stranger explained he was there to "check the room" and continued to walk toward us. I told him we didn't need any service. My older daughter was crying, my younger daughter was crying because her sister was crying, and my husband came back at that moment. The stranger said it looked like "everything was good" and left.

I am not sure what to make of this situation. My 4 y/o keeps asking us to check the balcony for strange men. I am aware of the possible rationale behind this change but I do not believe that this is the way to implement it. My husband went to speak to the front desk but they seem uninterested in listening to his suggestions that they should wait longer than three seconds after knocking, listen for a response from within the room and not approach children crying in bathtubs.

Would you take any further action?

No big deal for us. They always knock in our experience. Sometimes at 8 am!!! (they come back later)

I'm sure people will get outraged because you are worried about naps or something, but I'm sure it will be fine.

I've read people who are VERY upset about it and it makes me wonder how often you go to Disney that a new policy that housekeeping will pop in once a day, everyday would get you this upset? In our case, if for one week every three years or so housekeeping is coming in our room, I think we can handle it. ;)

All the inside/outside noises that happen at the resorts during the day, a knock on the door isn't going to make a whole bunch of difference. Besides, if you already expect housekeeping, that's your visit. They aren't coming back again.

Sorry, don't agree with the outrage with this one. That guy in Vegas had an arsenal that would have been noticed had someone been in the room - different times now, like it or not.
I disagree that now no one can expect any reasonable privacy b/c of ONE incident. Over correction has gotten ridiculous. I don’t want to be awakened at any point on vacation to have to tell someone to come back. There are other reports of ppl being walked in on b/c they didn’t answer the door in time. That’s unacceptable. What if you’re in the shower??! They need to find some other way to make sure guests aren’t bringing in aresenals. Scan luggage upon arrival or whatever. But to be disturbed while daily on vacation is not ok to me.

I disagree that now no one can expect any reasonable privacy b/c of ONE incident. Over correction has gotten ridiculous. I don’t want to be awakened at any point on vacation to have to tell someone to come back. There are other reports of ppl being walked in on b/c they didn’t answer the door in time. That’s unacceptable. What if you’re in the shower??! They need to find some other way to make sure guests aren’t bringing in aresenals. Scan luggage upon arrival or whatever. But to be disturbed while daily on vacation is not ok to me.

I'm not here for the bigger argument of freedoms, security, etc. The matter of the new policy - it doesn't bother me. That's all. :)

Also - they are supposed to knock, if that's not happening, of course people should complain.

I'm not here for the bigger argument of freedoms, security, etc. The matter of the new policy - it doesn't bother me. That's all. :)

Also - they are supposed to knock, if that's not happening, of course people should complain.
I hear you. It’s that you said you don’t get the outrage. Was explaining why some of us are outraged. I’m normally ok with extra security. I didn’t complain about metal detectors like many, but to me, this is just a cya that unnecessarily burdens guests.

Agree. This is not the way.

There is still discrepancy about the LV situation. Some reports are he used the DND sign but a credible State Representative said Housekeeping did visit and saw nothing suspicious. And honestly unless these folks plan to search your suitcases upon entering your rooms, they likely will see nothing. So easy to keep things "away" from sight. Scanning won't help with the hotels with exterior doors, but maybe having security with dogs walking all the hallways would work as they would alert.

At this moment I honestly feel more at risk having strange men entering my room uninvited while I might not be dressed ......... to just stare around my room and at me ....... than I do having a major incident at the resorts.

And just to repeat again ............. if you don't make EVERYONE walk through the metal detector at parks than all that security is pointless. This is pointless.

Just a side note, but in our experience, the cash DVC rooms do not get service every day even though you are supposed to. We've stayed at almost every DVC resort on cash through Disney and it's a total joke. Yes, we call, they pretend they didn't realize we were cash, blah blah blah. We've given up and we put out the....DND sign and just call for our own towels and toiletries when we need them and do a quick pickup ourselves. We find it much easier.

Anyway, so I'm ok with this policy if this means that they come and do some housekeeping while they are at it ;)

We are dvc and spend at least 40 nights a year on property. Our kids are past napping age, but that would have been a real problem. Interrupting nap time for my twins would have caused real problems for me for days.

I’m not a fan of this. My approach will be to call for service upon our departure, with our eta. I’ll want the room checked then. We basically live like home in our villa. I don’t appreciate a daily disruption to that.

Makes me thankful we are in Fort Wilderness in our motor home - NOBODY walks in on us there! That would be totally unacceptable to me in the hotels. The 'Welcome Home' they give you upon arriving at the hotels now would be a total joke - who accepts that type intrusion in your own home?? :eek:

How would anyone know that the 'strange man' was indeed security??? People sleep, shower, dress, leave older children in room at all hours at Disney - would you ever feel secure again? Enough to freak anyone out and give you nightmares!! There must be a better way - a charge against Disney waiting to happen - people expecting privacy and being walked in on! :(

What isn’t mentioned here but has been elsewhere is that housekeeping is now going to do trash and recycling every day for points stays.

Which is also unwelcome to many of us.

I've read people who are VERY upset about it and it makes me wonder how often you go to Disney that a new policy that housekeeping will pop in once a day, everyday would get you this upset?

I’m upset about this because I’ve seen how housekeeping works. They put a cart in front of an open door while they are in the next room with the door closed. They’ve been doing this for years, at all the Wdw resorts I’ve been to, and even at the Grand Californian.

When people notice theft from their rooms, IMO it’s generally from someone taking advantage of this stupid way of doing things, and not the housekeepers who keycard in and whose bosses know where they are.

My husband works in the field engineering department for kindle and beyond. He OFTEN travels with a ton of electronics, many of them prototypes, to test during trips or to test before or after vacation trips. He canNOT have those stolen. He and his coworkers have protocols for tsa where the security agent is in front of them asking to see more. Those protocols cannot be followed if he’s not in the hotel room. The safes are not big enough. So we almost never get housekeeping anywhere.

He will have to get fully locking luggage (and a quick YouTube will solve that issue for a thief) and try to lock it all down. And how will that look???

This is ridiculous and impossible.

Besides, if you already expect housekeeping, that's your visit.

No I’m not. We don’t invite them in.

Having to pick up my son’s underwear or my bras and hide the electronics etc is obnoxious to us, and we don’t like it. We don’t make our beds every day at home and we don’t need new towels.

We don’t have housekeeping come in. We have never had a single-Dvc-resort stay long enough to get full housekeeping bc we have split stays, and we reject trash and towel service.

That guy in Vegas had an arsenal that would have been noticed had someone been in the room - different times now, like it or not.

And hotels have ALWAYS had the right to send security or *a manager* into any room for security, safety, or concern for first reasons. They had the right with that guy.

It’s not the place of a housekeeper to act as security. Especially given the atrocious lack of security in the way housekeepers work.

Over correction has gotten ridiculous.

Yes. With everything.

And honestly unless these folks plan to search your suitcases upon entering your rooms, they likely will see nothing.

Yep.

And just to repeat again ............. if you don't make EVERYONE walk through the metal detector at parks than all that security is pointless. This is pointless.

Agreed.

Makes me thankful we are in Fort Wilderness in our motor home - NOBODY walks in on us there!

Yeah well good luck keeping that level of security! You’ll be up next no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!