Do parents bring their kids to the DCP?

Crazy4DisneyandTink

Mouseketeer
My son was accepted into the DCP and leaves in August.:cloud9: Do parents usually bring their kids to help them get settled? Or is that frowned upon?

My son was accepted into the DCP and leaves in August.:cloud9: Do parents usually bring their kids to help them get settled? Or is that frowned upon?

Depends on the parent! My parents didn't- they weren't free and I flew. Plenty of parents helped out though. In my apartment, I think 2/6 of us had parents around on move-in day. The younger the participant, the more parents are probably involved- I was in a 21+ apartment.

Depends on the parent! My parents didn't- they weren't free and I flew. Plenty of parents helped out though. In my apartment, I think 2/6 of us had parents around on move-in day. The younger the participant, the more parents are probably involved- I was in a 21+ apartment.

Thanks so much for the info!

I currently have twin daughters (age 20) participating in the DCP. They live in a three bedroom apartment with 4other girls (also 20). On move in day all 6 girls had at least 1 parent there.
A friend’s son participated last year. She and her husband went with him as well. I am sure there are MANY kids who move in on their own for a variety of reasons. We equated it to moving into college, and we always helped with that. Do what feels right for you and your son.

We went with dd. We played in the parks for a few days prior to her checkin. Then, had a nice, peaceful breakfast the morning of checkin. Checkin was at 8:40, took about 5 mins. Drove over to her apt, checked it out, started unpacking the car. She was the first one there. She went to Casting at 9:20ish, we stayed and kept unpacking. She got back about 2 hrs later. Drove to Target, stocked up on paper goods, food and stuff she needed for her room. She had drug testing around 1:30, took about an hour. We said goodbye to her around 3ish. There were two other parents there...so it was about 50/50. She was in a three bedroom apt, so six girls.
Some kids want to go it alone, others have no issue, and welcome, parental help. It's up to each family. There is no wrong way, or right way.

My wife and I drove from Ohio with our son for his DCP in Spring 2016, so he would have a car. We helped him move in, go to Walmart, get settled. We spent a day at MK while he did the Orientation, took him to dinner. Then he drove us to the airport and we flew home. Definitely not frowned upon. As others have said, do what feels right for your family.
Good luck.

We had no plans to go with DD (she was driving) until she decided to join us at the beach the week before. So rather than two cars we all went together and then we flew home from Orlando.

BUT on check-in day she left our hotel (Disney so I could bus to parks) and DH rented a car to go to Orlando office. She did everything with check-in, move-in, shopping etc with her roommates. We never saw her apartment until I went back to WDW a few weeks later ... and that was so I could drop off some stuff for her.

It is completely individual as to if you want to or if your child feels the need to have you .................. but there is no reason for a parent to go or help otherwise.

DD packed and drove herself home at the end.

My dad and I went down a few days early, had some fun at the parks before I checked in. He helped me move in. He also came with me because it is a 20+ hour drive and I was bringing my car. It was nice to have company on the long ride! He flew home.

At the end of my program, my mom flew down, helped me move out, then we spent a few days at the parks together before she helped me drive home.

My coworker's daughter is going in August and they are planning on bringing her down to help her get settled.

My dad did, we took a weekend to drive down and it was nice. My roommates mother also helped her drive across the country and move in as well. Definitely shouldn't be frowned upon. I moved cross country to go to college and my family wasn't able to help me and it was SO hard getting situated and moving, making the move with my dad to florida made it so much easier but I have to add though dropping him off at the airport was hard.
I'm not much of a homebody but it still gave me some anxiety driving back to my apartment that first time alone.
I think a lot of families use this as an excuse to take a vacation too. Any reason to visit Disney is a good reason :)

My house didn't have any parents help move us in because we're from Australia/New Zealand (although I do know of 2 parents who flew from Australia to help the move in!). But HEAPS of Americans have parents help move in and move out

Fall 2016 alumn here! My parents drove me down and helped me get settled in.

Our daughter starts June 4. She's gonna have to be on her own for the move in. We're planning on a very short July trip down to see her and to help do anything that she needs then. Just impossible for my wife and I to get off of work at that time.

My dad flew down with me my first CP back in Fall '16 and was there to help me move in. This summer I'm doing my second CP at Disneyland and I'm going by myself. It honestly is less stressful with a parent or someone else there to help you move in, but it is do-able otherwise. The CP knows what works best for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!