do sailings get bought out?

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
I'm comparing prices and rooms available for summer 2020 cruises. About two hours ago there were four 5E cabins on deck 10 on the 6/13 eastern, and two on deck 9.
I was going back to recheck and they were all gone.
I went on the costco site to check availabiity and when I clicked balcony stateroom it said "this type of stateroom is no longer available."
I find it hard to believe someone bought every balcony stateroom that fast, and does that even happen, or is it a glitch?

I didn’t think it possible on DCL, but on our last Dream sailing, ALL the Concierge staterooms outside of ours was booked by a single group that worked directly with Disney. They had private events in public venues, their own excursions, all the Cabanas at CC and even multiple DCL busses when we disembarked.

My conclusion is that groups do book multiple staterooms at a time.

I'm seeing 4 5E cabins. Could be a glitch, could be the timing of someone blocking them - depending on how far into the process you get, it can take a stateroom out of immediate inventory. So I don't know how far into the process you went so you might have blocked them or someone else may have been looking at the same cabins and blocked them. It could also be the # of people you are looking for (I looked with only 2 adults). If the lifeboat filled in the meantime, the cabins might not show for more than 2 people.

What I learned from booking my September 2020 sailing is that when a certain number of 5E cabins are booked (my experience is with 5E, so this may be the case in other categories, too, but I have no direct knowledge), the rest become unavailable for booking for a period of time. If you have one booked, you can modify your stateroom and see the other 5Es that are still open, but you can't see them if you're not already booked in one (I was able to move when connecting 5Es opened up). The remaining 5Es for my sail date opened up again this week - at a higher price.

Initially, I wanted to book 5Es, but they were showing as booked (and a CM confirmed this on a call), so I booked 5Ds. I didn't believe that all 5Es actually sold out by silver opening day, so I kept checking. A couple days after I booked, the 8 or 9 open 5Es showed as available (I guess it's possible that held bookings expired, but I'm not convinced). I was able to change one room myself online, but then the rest disappeared and I couldn't move the second room. When I called, the CM had to get permission from "Revenue Management" to modify the second 5D to a 5E.

I'll recheck....about 10 minutes ago costco had all balcony cabins as still sold out. I know it's a fluid process but wow! I guess I need to get off the pot and pull the trigger on a sailing!

What I learned from booking my September 2020 sailing is that when a certain number of 5E cabins are booked (my experience is with 5E, so this may be the case in other categories, too, but I have no direct knowledge), the rest become unavailable for booking for a period of time. If you have one booked, you can modify your stateroom and see the other 5Es that are still open, but you can't see them if you're not already booked in one (I was able to move when connecting 5Es opened up). The remaining 5Es for my sail date opened up again this week - at a higher price.

Initially, I wanted to book 5Es, but they were showing as booked (and a CM confirmed this on a call), so I booked 5Ds. I didn't believe that all 5Es actually sold out by silver opening day, so I kept checking. A couple days after I booked, the 8 or 9 open 5Es showed as available (I guess it's possible that held bookings expired, but I'm not convinced). I was able to change one room myself online, but then the rest disappeared and I couldn't move the second room. When I called, the CM had to get permission from "Revenue Management" to modify the second 5D to a 5E.

Which September cruise. I saw a familiar pattern when booking my September 2020 cruise. All the 5E were gone the morning gold opened. They were there, then 30 minutes later they were gone. I got mine on deck 9, but was putting a b2b together so was checking availability in case I had to move. I feel like I just got in...they never came back.

Which September cruise. I saw a familiar pattern when booking my September 2020 cruise. All the 5E were gone the morning gold opened. They were there, then 30 minutes later they were gone. I got mine on deck 9, but was putting a b2b together so was checking availability in case I had to move. I feel like I just got in...they never came back.
The September Fantasy double dip. The remaining cabins reappeared yesterday (2 on deck 6 and 4 on deck 10).

The September Fantasy double dip. The remaining cabins reappeared yesterday (2 on deck 6 and 4 on deck 10).

You’re right. I just checked and there are 5Es available again. That’s the one I’m booked on. I managed a 5E on deck 9. Looks like the price didn’t go up too much. $95 a person more than what I paid before my placeholder discount. I also booked the 5 night western Caribbean one on September 19th to make this a back to back with 3 visits to castaway cay.

I didn’t think it possible on DCL, but on our last Dream sailing, ALL the Concierge staterooms outside of ours was booked by a single group that worked directly with Disney. They had private events in public venues, their own excursions, all the Cabanas at CC and even multiple DCL busses when we disembarked.

My conclusion is that groups do book multiple staterooms at a time.
Did that have a negative impact on your Concierge experience?

Did that have a negative impact on your Concierge experience?
On the contrary, we often had the lounge and the hosts to ourselves since they all moved as a group. We couldn’t get a cabana, even if my email was sent at 12:01AM, but they comped us the ultimate package for the inconvenience and we had a cabana a few days earlier anyway. We snorkeled, biked, use the tube and did the stingray adventure for free...

On the contrary, we often had the lounge and the hosts to ourselves since they all moved as a group. We couldn’t get a cabana, even if my email was sent at 12:01AM, but they comped us the ultimate package for the inconvenience and we had a cabana a few days earlier anyway. We snorkeled, biked, use the tube and did the stingray adventure for free...
Sounds like you had a great time!

Yes they get sold out.

Our next cruise is May 8, 2020 Hawaii to Vancouver. It was sold out by early afternoon of the 2nd day - Gold CC 1st day. This was one day before Silver CC could book, and 2 days before the general public could book. It is still sold out. Even though people are cancelling all the time.

I'm comparing prices and rooms available for summer 2020 cruises. About two hours ago there were four 5E cabins on deck 10 on the 6/13 eastern, and two on deck 9.
I was going back to recheck and they were all gone.
I went on the costco site to check availabiity and when I clicked balcony stateroom it said "this type of stateroom is no longer available."
I find it hard to believe someone bought every balcony stateroom that fast, and does that even happen, or is it a glitch?
Our first cruise was a 3-night on the Magic over New Year's Eve a few years ago, sailing out of Miami. It was notable on that cruise that literally about 75% of the passengers were Brazilian nationals, with only a relatively small percent of American passengers. I wondered at the time if that was the norm when sailing out of Miami, but after again cruising the Magic out of Miami last week and not seeing any Brazilians, I now know that is not the norm. That first cruise (which did sell out) might have been largely booked up via one large Brazilian community or company- I don't know. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if very large bookings like that happen from time to time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter