Do teens have access to fitness center equipment at all?

mycutiepatooties

DIS Veteran
Hello! We are taking our first Disney Cruise and are sailing on a 7 day Eastern Car. cruise on the Fantasy in June. Our oldest daughter is going to be running in college as an athlete for both cross country and track. She will be running daily on the cruise and many of these will be long runs. I'm aware that she can't go in the fitness center because her 18th birthday will still be a few weeks away. She can run on the deck 4 track --early in the mornings. I know she's going to be heartbroken if I tell her she can't go in the fitness center at all. It is her happy place! She works with a personal trainer twice a week and is comfortable with how to use all types of gym equipment. I know she'll want to do her strength training and would probably not be a fan of using only her resistance bands that she brings from home. We will follow the rules and respect the adult only spaces rule, whatever it is.

So do the teen clubs actually USE the fitness center at all? I searched prior posts and some people said that it was really just a "tour" of the facility but another person said that the teens can use it one hour a day in the evening. Does anyone know for sure? Would it be during the show or dinner hour?

If we purchased personal training sessions for her, do you know the rates? Any chance they have a package that saves you money on this? Would she be permitted to use the equipment with a trainer?

Thank you so much!

But Edge and Vibe might get to use it for one hour during the cruise.
The programme (at least used to be) called 'pump it' doesn't always happen though.
And in all the times I ran the programme I only ever had 1 teen come. But it's an hour in the gym with 2 teen staff supervising.

But Edge and Vibe might get to use it for one hour during the cruise.
The programme (at least used to be) called 'pump it' doesn't always happen though.
And in all the times I ran the programme I only ever had 1 teen come. But it's an hour in the gym with 2 teen staff supervising.
We just got off of the Wonder on Friday and my daughter, who was in the Vibe, said they had two 1-hour chances to use the fitness center on the cruise. Both were during late dinner. This is her third time in the Vibe and she said this was the first time they were offered access to the fitness center.

My son tried the personal training thing, but they wanted to run it like a bootcamp class and he wasn't interested in that. As someone else mentioned, the pump it up sessions from the vibe are during late dinner. Talk to the person in charge at the spa/gym.

Hello! We are taking our first Disney Cruise and are sailing on a 7 day Eastern Car. cruise on the Fantasy in June. Our oldest daughter is going to be running in college as an athlete for both cross country and track. She will be running daily on the cruise and many of these will be long runs. I'm aware that she can't go in the fitness center because her 18th birthday will still be a few weeks away. She can run on the deck 4 track --early in the mornings. I know she's going to be heartbroken if I tell her she can't go in the fitness center at all. It is her happy place! She works with a personal trainer twice a week and is comfortable with how to use all types of gym equipment. I know she'll want to do her strength training and would probably not be a fan of using only her resistance bands that she brings from home. We will follow the rules and respect the adult only spaces rule, whatever it is.

So do the teen clubs actually USE the fitness center at all? I searched prior posts and some people said that it was really just a "tour" of the facility but another person said that the teens can use it one hour a day in the evening. Does anyone know for sure? Would it be during the show or dinner hour?

If we purchased personal training sessions for her, do you know the rates? Any chance they have a package that saves you money on this? Would she be permitted to use the equipment with a trainer?

Thank you so much!

Have your daughter's personal trainer create a vacation workout for her to do outside of the gym.

Have your daughter's personal trainer create a vacation workout for her to do outside of the gym.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. There's plenty of room on deck four, especially in the morning to do body-weight only exercises before or after running laps. I myself have done burpees, push-ups, lunges, squats and other exercises on deck four after running.

I was on the Dec 23rd Fantasy sailing and was told that my 16 year old could use the fitness center after 6pm if accompanied by an adult. They also told us that we could schedule personal trainer time for her in the gym, but they liked to schedule those sessions after 5 pm. She in fact never ended up using the fitness center because she wanted to get her workout done in the morning (which she did on Deck 4), but it was offered to us as an option when we went in and asked.

The problem with running on the deck is it’s very difficult to maintain any sort of consistent pace for training, especially for long runs. There will be people to navigate around, narrow corridors and groups of walkers....not to mention the occasional person going the wrong way. I’m an avid runner and log 50+ miles a week, when we were on the Fantasy and Wonder I always had to utilize the treadmill to get my work in. The deck was fun for shorter, less important runs but your daughter sounds like she wants to train and in my opinion will get frustrated. I suppose it’s better than nothing though, and if she gets up super early or runs at night it will be better. They really should implement a daily program for teens with supervision. The gym is often empty during the day and theses young people are our future athletes, they shouldn’t be denied.

The problem with running on the deck is it’s very difficult to maintain any sort of consistent pace for training, especially for long runs. There will be people to navigate around, narrow corridors and groups of walkers....not to mention the occasional person going the wrong way. I’m an avid runner and log 50+ miles a week, when we were on the Fantasy and Wonder I always had to utilize the treadmill to get my work in. The deck was fun for shorter, less important runs but your daughter sounds like she wants to train and in my opinion will get frustrated. I suppose it’s better than nothing though, and if she gets up super early or runs at night it will be better. They really should implement a daily program for teens with supervision. The gym is often empty during the day and theses young people are our future athletes, they shouldn’t be denied.

Also, don't try to run during docking. You'll find that sections are closed! I was out for a run early one morning as we were headed into Key West on the Magic when I saw a runner coming towards me in the wrong direction. I sort of gave me a bit of a frown but kept going only to find that the entire forward section of the ship was closed off. So I, too turned around and ran back the other way (giving the gentleman in question a bit of a sheepish look). There were several other runners out there and we all sort of seemed to agree to our weird little U shape. Then a new runner entered the track and sort of gave me the stink eye when I passed them in the wrong direction. Next time I saw them they in turn looked sheepish! Deck four requires a bit of flexibility. But it can be a good opportunity for some track-style workouts like straights and curves (fast on the straights, easy recovery on the curves). So I usually play around that way.

And I wholeheartedly agree, I think it's really important that we do everything we can to encourage young athletes. I'm a runner (well, sort of, a knee injury has somewhat side-lined me) and I also attend boot camp style outdoor workouts here at home. When my daughter is on break from school, I take her with me and the trainer there encourages her to participate. It's super great! Not that she needs a ton of encouragement. She thinks it's pretty fun. But she's also a fairly serious athlete like the original poster (she's a team gymnast training 11-15 hours a week).

Hi! My 18 and 15 year old have a personal trainer to stay fit for year round soccer. I know the fitness center rule is for 18 and older but how do they know how old you are? They are both tall, mature, and more than comfortable with gym equipment.

Ask the trainer for a plan that they can do without the equipment and utilize the running "track" and the sports courts on the ship - if s/he's worth the money you're paying them, they should have no problem coming up with body-weight workouts. Much easier than trying to skirt the rules.

Hi! My 18 and 15 year old have a personal trainer to stay fit for year round soccer. I know the fitness center rule is for 18 and older but how do they know how old you are? They are both tall, mature, and more than comfortable with gym equipment.

It’s not about them being comfortable around the gym equipment, it’s that the fitness center is considered an adult only area. There are only so many places where those that want to enjoy an adult area can do so. While your boys may be mature they are still not adults. As some others mentioned, these are other ways for them to keep fit without large gym equipment - I’m sure their personal trainer can come up with some ideas!

And as the previous poster mentioned, they can be asked to show their stateroom keys to prove their age.

Aby

:(

Ask the trainer for a plan that they can do without the equipment and utilize the running "track" and the sports courts on the ship - if s/he's worth the money you're paying them, they should have no problem coming up with body-weight workouts. Much easier than trying to skirt the rules.

Exactly!! That's the great thing about having a personal trainer, their expertise can help you adapt your workouts to almost any situation.

It doesn't matter how comfortable they are - the gym is for those 18 and over and you know that. Asking how they know how old children are is just asking how to circumvent the rules, which we do not endorse here. Please respect the rules while you are onboard your cruise - I'm sure there are good legal reasons for it to be in place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter