Do the HS kids wear varsity letter jackets where you are?

KelNottAt

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Back when I was in high school (late 70's/early 80's) varsity jackets were everywhere. Athletes (boys and girls) wore them with pride.

They don't seem to be wearing them these days. I wouldn't have noticed, except a few days ago we actually saw a couple boys from a rival school with theirs on. They were the only ones I've seen in this area in the last 12 - 15 years.

So, what gives? Around here sports are very popular. That makes the absence of letter jackets even odder...to me at least.

Can anyone explain?

They are pretty popular here still. I went to a highschool football game a few months ago and they were everywhere. I graduated high school 10 years ago and wore mine all the way through. But I was a band geek. ;)

~Amanda

Around here sports are huge! But it seems each sport the kids play ended up getting jackets for that particular sport. Letterman jackets seem to have fallen by the wayside. They still sell them but my DD did not get one(even though she's the athletic one of the two). She chose to frame her letter with the pins instead.

They are pretty popular here still. I went to a highschool football game a few months ago and they were everywhere. I graduated high school 10 years ago and wore mine all the way through. But I was a band geek. ;)

~Amanda

You mean you were in the band and got a letter? That's cool. Way back in the dark ages they were just for the jocks. I like the idea of expanding eligibility.

I think a letter jacket was the first thing offered that would take my $ that my middle son ever turned down. He was a pretty good athlete and has his letter and the little subsequent year/sport things up on the wall of his bedroom. The letter jacket did not fit his sense of style; he also turned down at Art Honor Society T-shirt b/c he thought it looked stupid.

My older son, who is 23, on the other hand, was a so-so athlete, but he loved his letter jacket.

Our letterman's jackets are GIVEN to our students when they letter. I can't believe you're telling me that some have to buy them!! They only get one jacket though (whatever they letter in first) and can letter for playing Varsity sports, being in the hs band for 3 years, advancing to all-region band, placing 1st - 3rd in district academic competition (math/science/journalism/speaking/etc contests), or for competing in academic competition for 3 years.

Oh and our cheerleaders and twirlers have a system for earning them too (not sure exactly what that policy is).

Our letterman's jackets are GIVEN to our students when they letter. I can't believe you're telling me that some have to buy them!! They only get one jacket though (whatever they letter in first) and can letter for playing Varsity sports, being in the hs band for 3 years, advancing to all-region band, placing 1st - 3rd in district academic competition (math/science/journalism/speaking/etc contests), or for competing in academic competition for 3 years.

They still wear them around here...but only the kids who can afford them….the school gives you the letter ….but the jacket costs over 200 dollars:scared1: ....

Letter jackets aren't found around very much anymore. I see a lot more hooded sport specific sweatshirts.

My DS15 just received his varsity letter for hockey last week. He and DH ordered his jacket on Friday afternoon. The cost for the jacket, name embroidery, and sewing of the letter, hockey patch and year patch came to a total of $273. This was DH's face when I arrived home from work that night :eek:

Yes, the letter jacket is very popular around here, to the tune of ~$275. What is not popular at all here are class rings. When I was in high school (PA) everyone had a class ring. Not here (MI) - no one seems to care or bother.

Yes, the letter jacket is very popular around here, to the tune of ~$275. What is not popular at all here are class rings. When I was in high school (PA) everyone had a class ring. Not here (MI) - no one seems to care or bother.

Interesting. Around here rings are still a big deal. Order in the spring of sophomore year, get it at a ceremony in the fall of junior year, "turn it" the appropriate number of times, and wear it to the Ring Dance.

You mean you were in the band and got a letter? That's cool. Way back in the dark ages they were just for the jocks. I like the idea of expanding eligibility.

DH and I were at the store the other day and this boy was standing in front of us, off to the side, with a letter jacket on. He was really muscular and I pegged him for being a football jock. When he turned around his letter was for Band! He has all the different ones on there, marching, wind, symphonic and jazz! I was glad to see it because my DS is not into sports but he loves his band!

When I bought mine back in the miod 90s it cost around $300 and I hardly ever wore it! It's sitting in my cedar chest not to see the light of day (I actually still ahve patches to put on it). I was also one of the only girls at the school who wasn't a cheerleader to wear one. At the time they were worn by those who could afford to buy them. Today I live in Wa (rather tha Ca where I grew up) and I rarely see any of the high schoolers wear them.

What I wisht aht I would ahve done that I didn't know was an option was to buy the sweater just like my dad had back in the 60s. That would ahve been much comfier and cheaper.

Our HS here dont give the Letters out till the week BEFORE Graduation??????:confused3 Nobody I know really knows the reasoning for this.

But it is weird!

We bought my DS's Letterman Jacket when he was a Freshman knowing it only had a 4 year life. It was $350 and since I have spent another $150 adding patches and letters to it. Most of the kids (boys and girls) have them here. The school provides letters, year of grad etc. depending on the level/year of the activity. ie: Freshman Football players were given their grad year and Varsity players are given their letter.

I never had one in Highschool, always wanted one. My 2 best friends & DH took me and got me one for my 41st birthday last month - It is my Son's school colors and has my "parent activities" on it - should be done anyday now, I can hardly wait! Oh yeah it was $439 (Jacket, Patches, Varsity Letter & lots of embroidery of names, activities, kids grad years etc...)

Rings are big here also.

They're still big here. I see them all over the place.

My sister and I both had band letter jackets, and this was ~ 30 (cough, cough) years ago. :rotfl:

I'm not sure about class rings. My oldest is in 8th grade, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Some people do wear the jackets around here. They're not something that all athletes/band members HAVE to have, but the students will get them if they want to. The class rings are a lot more popular than the jackets. Pretty much everyone in my high school class bought a class ring (beginning of sophomore year), except for maybe some of the boys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!