Do we absolutely need the EP?

Silvermist999

DIS Veteran
Our upcoming WDW/Universal spring break trip will include our first time at Universal Orlando.

We are thinking of staying onsite at WDW for the entire time to get those FP+s. We will be renting a car so transportation won’t be an issue.

Should we move onsite to a Universal resort, at least for the days we will be there, to get those EPs?
How important are these EPS? What are lineups like without the EP. Any examples? We are planning to get the UO 2+2 deal tickets, but likely won’t use all the days. Would that help us do all the attractions without an EP?

Thx!

I would get stay at one of the three onsite hotels during that time of year that offer EP..Do at least 1 night, check in very early so you get 2 full days of EP out of a 1 night stay! SO WORTH IT, you will love it!:thumbsup2:cheer2:
We are very spoiled by staying on site using EP, this upcoming trip later this week will be the only trip that we have not stayed in one of the 3 on site hotels. For a busy time of year, in my mind, there is no debate, wouldn't do it any other way. If you are staying onsite at Disney, plan your minimum 1 night stay at Universal for the beginning or end of your trip. Utilize the pools as well as you can pool hop if you so choose at Universal. Our favorites are the Hard Rock and Royal Pacific, think that Hard Rock is our absolute fav.::yes::.such an easy walk if you don't want to take a boat.

Spring break brings in the crowds

Do a one night stay at one of the 3 deluxe hotels and receive check in and check out days with the free ep linked to your hotel key card

You will still have line waits for rides during spring break but shorter waits than the standard lines

You don’t NEED EPs, but personally they make such a difference for our style of travel that we won’t do UO without them. I have not been during spring break, but during other busy times.

The differences we experienced: normal line might be 100 minutes, EP line was 5-10. Another normal line was 40 minutes and we walked right onto the ride (stopping to wait for the next car to arrive). On one ride my son rode 3 times in a row before some people got through the normal line. So they do make an incredible impact and can allow you to ride without planning and strategies.

I am in the same boat. I am thinking about going next week. Is it needed that week?

I love them and have used them on past trips. Just wanted to see if I can save some money this time.

Being a week before Christmas, most likely needed right? Mid week next week

If I were you and its first timers, deff get it

First off, nobody NEEDS express pass to enjoy Universal.

The decision should be based on value to your vacation. Time is money to me and I like to explore every nook and crannie, Do rides mulitple times and still be able to leave the parks early so I always have EP.

I do find it ironic the OP is wanting to stay at disney to get first crack at those 3 FPs a day that has to be scheduled months ahead of the visit, but is questioning staying at universal where they would get unlimited express pass good for every ride at anytime as many times as you want to have a go.

I suggest the OP goes to Universal at the end of the trip. It will be so much more relaxing esp if they have the EP.

Thank you to everyone for your insight and advice. We’ve been to WDW many times but we are definitely new to Universal so your feedback is definitely helpful with our decision.

When we do a WDW/universal split we begin our trip staying at Universal then go to WDW. Our last stay was 3 nights at Portofino followed by GF in WDW.
We had a 3 day Universal ticket but felt we could have done 4. Those 3 days were commando park touring! Not really my preference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!