Do You Have A Hidden Dining Gem?

Flora Fan

Can't wait for my next trip!
On my last trip, my DH and I had dinner at the bar of the Wave restaurant. As we sat there enjoying the meal, I couldn’t help thinking that this would be a great place to eat for the solo traveler who feels a bit awkward eating alone. The banter of the bar tenders with the guests was very entertaining and the food was really good.

I will be going for my first solo trip in June and would love to hear about any hidden gems you’ve found. Or any secrets you might have for the quiet, shy type of traveler.

I haven't been yet, but against Pete's advice, I'd hit up Trader Sam's if I were on my own.
I'd also like to go to Jelly Rolls and Oga's Cantina, and the new place at the Grand Floridian.
Places I liked that I'd hit again include the Brown Derby Lounge, Territory Lounge, poolside at AKL, and the World Showcase (I know it's cliche but the heart wants what the heart wants.)

I haven't been yet, but against Pete's advice, I'd hit up Trader Sam's if I were on my own.
I'd also like to go to Jelly Rolls and Oga's Cantina, and the new place at the Grand Floridian.
Places I liked that I'd hit again include the Brown Derby Lounge, Territory Lounge, poolside at AKL, and the World Showcase (I know it's cliche but the heart wants what the heart wants.)
Excellent suggestions. I’m writing them all down. 📝 I hadn’t even thought about pool side offerings. 👍

I am currently on my 3rd solo trip this year and just discovered a new gem. I had a wonderful meal and experience eating at the bar at Wine Bar George at Disney Springs. Food and service excellent.

I stayed at Caribbean Beach my last trip, solo. I had just watched the Dis's raving review of Sebastian's Bistro before going so I figured I had to try it. I went a little early (5ish) because I had a Halloween party that night. I've never really eaten in a legit sit down restaurant solo before, but my waiter was so friendly, the atmosphere gorgeous, and food delicious, that I didn't mind it one bit. I really have not one negative thing to say. I was in an absolutely foul mood when I got there from being hot and tired and didn't even think I was hungry. I ended up stuffing my face because everything was so delicious and left completely rejuvenated.

I know I got there early but I call it a hidden gem because there was only two other tables occupied when I was there!

It’s not hidden, but it’s never crowded when I go ...
Sanaa! Maybe it’s not as popular because it’s tucked away at the DVC section of Animal Kingdom Lodge (Kidani Village), but the food and atmosphere are awesome and the windows look out onto the savanna. While dining there once, a huge storm blew up and a big group of giraffe galloped past us - it was amazing!

I like Tune In Lounge at DHS as the bartenders there are always really great. My waiter at Skipper Canteen was great when I was there last. Also had great experiences at the bar at Homecomin' at Disney Springs

So many great suggestions. Thank You all so much. Except for Sanaa, I haven’t been to any of these. So excited to have new places to discover.

LaurenT, Sanaa is a great suggestion. I can absolutely see that being a nice, quiet place for a single diner to enjoy. Those views are awesome. I haven’t been in years, but will add it to my must do list.

I love to eat at the bar at Flying Fish. Service has always been excellent, and the food is delish.

Mine is The Tangerine Cafe in Morocco. I admit I am not an adventurous eater and I resisted even thinking about eating there in the past. In July, my Fiancee really wanted to try it and I agreed and we both loved it! We ate there for lunch on a second day also.

Sanaa is great solo. It was my first night dinner on my first solo trip last year.

Another great option for solo travelers in MK I think is Skipper Canteen. One of the lesser known restaurants in the park, great themeing, and fairly quiet. The servers are good at reading if you want to play along with the Jungle Cruise jokes or not In my experience.

if you’re a bit adventurous or know that you like Morocan food, I liked Restaurant Marrakesh in Epcot. During off times of the day it can be very quiet, but it’s a gorgeous atmosphere, and I liked the food.

I did Docking Bay 7 solo on my last trip and loved it. Backlot Express is another great solo place to eat. They're both big spaces where you can find a corner and be on your own.

I did Docking Bay 7 solo on my last trip and loved it. Backlot Express is another great solo place to eat. They're both big spaces where you can find a corner and be on your own.
Same here for the Backlot! We loved it, we ate late and had a nice relaxing meal. We didn't make it there for our trip a couple months ago but I wish we had.

Katsura grill for me. Not the best sushi in the world but for a qs credit including a plum wine it's good value IMHO and sitting to the left of the pavillion near the koi pond means I forget I'm in a theme park. Very important for that time of the day where mentally you start picking fights with everyone who pushes into you or bashes your ankle with a stroller 😂😂😂

Not really "hidden" but the tables down by the water at the Flame Tree BBQ in the AK is one of our favorite places. It is quite pleasant to look out over the water listening to the occasional screams drifting over from Everest. There are a number of small tables that would be perfect for a solo traveler.

Nomad Lounge, at Tiffin's. I haven't been solo yet, but I definitely will have it on my list. DD and I went once this past trip in August, and loved it so much we went back our second day at that park.

The food is really nice (small plates and the BEST churros). We sat outside at a table for two along the railing. It's out of the way, quiet and we didn't have trouble getting a seat either day (I don't think you can even make ADRs).

I stayed at Caribbean Beach my last trip, solo. I had just watched the Dis's raving review of Sebastian's Bistro before going so I figured I had to try it. I went a little early (5ish) because I had a Halloween party that night. I've never really eaten in a legit sit down restaurant solo before, but my waiter was so friendly, the atmosphere gorgeous, and food delicious, that I didn't mind it one bit. I really have not one negative thing to say. I was in an absolutely foul mood when I got there from being hot and tired and didn't even think I was hungry. I ended up stuffing my face because everything was so delicious and left completely rejuvenated.

I know I got there early but I call it a hidden gem because there was only two other tables occupied when I was there!
I've been thinking about Sebastian's Bistro since I started seeing reviews for it! I'm not doing a park my arrival night and I'm staying at AoA, so it seems like it could be a good move to hop on the Skyliner, have a nice dinner, then maybe just explore Skyliner and Boardwalk-area resorts for the evening (as a bonus, I'll probably end up spending less money that way than if I do Disney Springs or Trader Sam's). Did you do an ADR or just walk in? I'm a little leery of setting up an ADR when I don't know exactly when MDE DME will actually get me to my resort.

Nomad Lounge, at Tiffin's. I haven't been solo yet, but I definitely will have it on my list. DD and I went once this past trip in August, and loved it so much we went back our second day at that park.

The food is really nice (small plates and the BEST churros). We sat outside at a table for two along the railing. It's out of the way, quiet and we didn't have trouble getting a seat either day (I don't think you can even make ADRs).
Nomad Lounge is on my must-do list for the upcoming trip! I've never been but I'm looking forward to it a lot.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about Sebastian's Bistro since I started seeing reviews for it! I'm not doing a park my arrival night and I'm staying at AoA, so it seems like it could be a good move to hop on the Skyliner, have a nice dinner, then maybe just explore Skyliner and Boardwalk-area resorts for the evening (as a bonus, I'll probably end up spending less money that way than if I do Disney Springs or Trader Sam's). Did you do an ADR or just walk in? I'm a little leery of setting up an ADR when I don't know exactly when MDE will actually get me to my resort.

I booked an ADR for Sebastian's from my room for 30 minutes from then. They had plenty of openings for that night. I just didn't want to risk walking in and getting turned away. I definitely would not have gotten turned away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter