Do you size up in shoe size?

cavepig

DIS Veteran
So, do you go a 1/2 size, full size or more up when buying running shoes compared to 'regular' shoes?

I ask because I have been wearing Women's 8.5 Asics Nimbus (which I was fitted for last year, but starting to think I should have sized up then maybe) and really started to notice my foot doesn't fit anymore ... In regular shoes I wear 8/8.5.

So, now I'm in a 9.5 & hoping it works. 9 still seemed snug. I know it depends on brand of shoe and all, but just curious as I've been reading on the topic throughout the day. I know as you age your foot spreads too as I used to wear a 7.5/8 20 years ago.

Last edited:
In regular shoes, I'm a 4.5-5 in my left foot and an 8 in my right foot.

In running shoes (Brooks Ravenna 6), I'm a 6 in my left foot and 8.5 in my right foot.

In my Inov-8s, I'm a 5-5.5 in the left and an 8 in the right. That said - my feet swelled SO bad (first time EVER for me or my husband in them) during the Disneyland Half weekend, I likely won't be wearing them to run much other than short races.

I'm 11.5 shoe and was wearing a 12 that caused blisters and bad toe nails. Went to running store and they gave me 13s and no problems ever since. GEL-Nimbus-17

I usually do size up a whole size in running shoes~ I'm an 8 in regular shoes and a 9 in all my running shoes. I've worn Brooks Adrenalines for the past few years and my DS who works at a running store made me try the Saucony Hurricane iso. I LOVE them and have never had a problem with blisters, rubbing, nails, etc.
I think it's pretty typical to go up a size/size and a half~

I'm not much of a runner, but I wear a 9.5 in running shoes, specifically the Asics Gel Nimbus series (LOVE THEM!). I'm a 9 normally. I've heard it said to go up at least 1/2 size, since your feet tend to swell during activity.

i'm a size 6 in shoes, was sizing up to 6.5 when i wore saucony but they still felt snug. Just switched to Brooks and went up a whole size to 7.

Thanks for feedback - - It's not something I've ever technically done, but maybe should have, oops! It seemed no matter how I tied them lately I would get a few pains in my foot, so breaking in a new pair I laced them for the roomier fit and while that was great, my toe was bashing into the front of the shoe - ack I've never had that issue. Plus I have a nagging shin splint that I'm thinking is from the shoes being too small now, ugh I feel slightly stupid for not realizing this a while ago. So, stuck with a couple pairs of 8.5, but I think moving up to the 9.5 will be good.

I was fitted at a size 10.5 for running shoes and I'm normally a solid 10.

I pay little attention to the advertised sizes - they vary too much from one shoe to the next, even within the same manufacturer.

Just be sure to leave about an inch of space in front of your big toe, find a shoe wide enough so your little toes are not hanging over the edge of the shoe base, and be sure that you try them on later in the day as your feet swell during the day. That matters because your feet swell when you run. The shoe still needs to fit 10 miles into your run.

Most importantly - jog around the store in them and see how they feel. If they feel "wrong", don't buy them - keep looking.

I think it really depends. I'm a novice and very slow runner. When I needed new shoes earlier in the year, I went to our local running store, tried on a bunch in a larger than street shoe size and left with the one that felt best. Forget 10 miles, I couldn't do 2 miles. I felt like they were clown shoes and I spent a lot of energy trying to keep them on my feet and stopped every few minutes to re-tie them.

With an excellant exchange policy, I swapped them out for another pair, different brand and the same size as my street shoes. Perfect. I now alternate better these and a pair that is nominally a half size smaller than my street shoes. Which just goes to show that it's not the number, it's the fit. -- Suzanne

It depends on the shoe. As a general rule I go up a full size. I'm a 9.5 in normal shoes, none of my running shoes are smaller than a 10.5. This year two of my favorite shoes seemed to run small so I ordered 11's in those.

Really depends on the person. I go up a half size in my current shoe but that is how I was fitted for them.

Have you thought that maybe your socks are what the problem is? If I wear thicker socks my shoes just don't feel comfortable at all. If I use my light weight features they fit amazing even with my foot swelling during the half which is pretty normal.

Have you thought that maybe your socks are what the problem is? If I wear thicker socks my shoes just don't feel comfortable at all. If I use my light weight features they fit amazing even with my foot swelling during the half which is pretty normal.
Nope, it's not the socks I'm sure. I think my feet have just spread enough to make me notice I need to up the size and no amount of loosening the laces will help cause then my toe starts to smash the front (which I have never had happen until yesterday). I guess it's normal as you age your feet spread.

I used to buy using my size but realized that size and width varies by manufacturer.
Now I always try them on and end up with a 1/2 size to full size bigger for my running shoes.

I generally size up a full size, but agree it's variable dependingon the shoe.

With most running shoes, I use 1/2 size to a whole size bigger than street shoes.

On roadrunnersports.com, they suggest the size next to fit size ("Fit Size: Buy this shoe 1/2 size up", etc). I've used them for many years and found that they tend to be pretty darn accurate.

With most running shoes, I use 1/2 size to a whole size bigger than street shoes.

On roadrunnersports.com, they suggest the size next to fit size ("Fit Size: Buy this shoe 1/2 size up", etc). I've used them for many years and found that they tend to be pretty darn accurate.
So, if use that chart I measure a 9 and 1/2 size up is 9.5!

Last edited:
As you run your feet tend to swell a bit. IMHO, nobody can advise you exactly what to do in your situation. We can give you general advice and what works for us individually, but everyone is a bit different. My recommendation would be to have your foot sized using a measuring device. Then buy a shoe size 1/2 to 1 size bigger. Then do a few runs in them. I find I can usually get a good idea about the shoe in about 20 -30 miles. Unfortunately, that means you may have to buy multiple pairs of shoes before you get them right. But after that, you can just buy the same shoe going forward.

Unfortunately, I feel this way about most running clothing and items. You really can't get a good sense if they'll work until you've tried them out for a decent amount of time.

But after that, you can just buy the same shoe going forward.
That's what I always thought, but I really needed to up my size and so now am in a 9.5, which is going well. And with that I have 2 brand new pairs of Asics Nimbus 16 size 8.5 just sitting around, so basically I've learned don't ever stock up on shoes.

I go up 1.5 to 2 sizes in my running shoes. I have found that running shoes closer to my normal shoe size always have the arch in the wrong spot for me and it is uncomfortable. I also like a wide toe box so I can spread my toes when I'm running to prevent them from swelling too much.

But after that, you can just buy the same shoe going forward.
I don't because even the slightest design change can affect the fit. For me, the Pureflow 4 did not fit the same as the Pureflow 3 in the same size. Even in the 3's that I bought, the pink color had a different fit than the purple in the exact same size. And my Pureflow 3's are a half size smaller than my Nike Pegasus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter