Does anyone ever book flights really late and get them cheaper?

1andrea

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if anyone on here regularly holds out on booking until weeks/days before they want to fly?

And do they manage to get it cheaper, we've never had the nerve to hold out!

I finally booked my flights yesterday...

£2500 for 3 Adults 1 Child flying with British Airways from Gatwick to Orlando (direct) 10th August till 31st August

Its a gamble waiting as flight prices go up and down on an hourly and daily basis

All depends on time of year, Is it school hols? Are you willing to be very flexible?
We have done 1 or 2 last minute but no great savings. Best deals tend to be with Tui, scheduled airlines seem to go up last minute. We also tried to do last minute one Xmas, ended up staying at home, no flights left unless paying a fortune.
Booking in advance and finding a deal is best way for us, this year flying direct to Washington, direct back from Miami, £340pp incl luggage and seat selection, not bad for Virgin flights.

I'd track your flights prices via Skyscanner and Google Flights but ultimately sometimes its pure luck

Just checked the flights I booked yesterday for £2500 are now £4250 a day later

You also better looking early in morning or late in evening... Prices do fluctuate when more people are searching on the same dates

I like to use the Hopper app. You can enter your destination and dates and it'll continuously scan and let you know when the prices typically lower or if now is the right time to buy.

I'd track your flights prices via Skyscanner and Google Flights but ultimately sometimes its pure luck

You also better looking early in morning or late in evening... Prices do fluctuate when more people are searching on the same dates
Just checked ours we booked last month, gone up from £340pp to £480pp. Always nice to see them rise after you have bought. On the flip side our cruise has come down, had to cancel and rebook, even after losing the deposit we are still £250 better off.

I have never seen anything super last minute but once it gets down to 7/6 weeks away from travel there is some excellent bargains if you are looking at dates outside of school holiday

Anything in school holidays you are best looking at sales in advance

I finally booked my flights yesterday...

£2500 for 3 Adults 1 Child flying with British Airways from Gatwick to Orlando (direct) 10th August till 31st August

Its a gamble waiting as flight prices go up and down on an hourly and daily basis

Thats a good price, we usually book early but ive been so busy with work I havent had the time to stalk the flights this year so kind of feel we've missed the cheap flights boat! Im hoping for around 10th Jul to the 26th Jul so the flight home is in the school holidays! x

All depends on time of year, Is it school hols? Are you willing to be very flexible?
We have done 1 or 2 last minute but no great savings. Best deals tend to be with Tui, scheduled airlines seem to go up last minute. We also tried to do last minute one Xmas, ended up staying at home, no flights left unless paying a fortune.
Booking in advance and finding a deal is best way for us, this year flying direct to Washington, direct back from Miami, £340pp incl luggage and seat selection, not bad for Virgin flights.

Im hoping for around 10th Jul to the 26th Jul so the flight home is in the school holidays! I can't really be flexible as i'd have to arrange cover for the shop and my partner will need to book time off work.

Your fights are a bargain!!

Thanks some saving for booking one day earlier!!

I like to use the Hopper app. You can enter your destination and dates and it'll continuously scan and let you know when the prices typically lower or if now is the right time to buy.

ive never heard of Hopper, i think i need to look into it!

I have never seen anything super last minute but once it gets down to 7/6 weeks away from travel there is some excellent bargains if you are looking at dates outside of school holiday

Anything in school holidays you are best looking at sales in advance

I think we may have missed the boat as our dates are 10th -26th July so cross with school holidays! x

I think we may have missed the boat as our dates are 10th -26th July so cross with school holidays! x
Schools break up really early this year( ours is 15th) so the flight out is possibly higher than normal too as it's in the buffer period before the holidays start 🤬

Can u go indirect ?

Im hoping for around 10th Jul to the 26th Jul so the flight home is in the school holidays! I can't really be flexible as i'd have to arrange cover for the shop and my partner will need to book time off work.

Your fights are a bargain!!

Yeah looking at £633 for an adult atm direct with Virgin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter