Does anyone know why Jiminy Cricket is the character for Earth Day?

gelatoni fan

DIS Veteran
Question is in the title. Hopefully this is a good reminder for Annual Passholders to get out to the parks for whatever Earth Day festivities may be happening. :)

The day is over in Asia but Jiminy Cricket was out in HKDL today so it's possible he may be out in Animal Kingdom. I know some years there's also Earth Day buttons (idk if they're free in the US but you have to win them from a game in HKDL) and Jiminy Cricket becomes more common in Animation Academy.

This is purely my own speculation - I have wondered this before too. My theory is that JC’s saying “always let your conscience be your guide” could apply to personal environmental responsibility.

I have never found anything online about why he meets during Earth Day though. Perhaps someone has a better answer for you!

We love seeing him! A few years back, on a random day in June, we saw JC walking into Town Square to do a surprise meet and greet. My sister and I almost lost our minds when we were leaving the park and saw him without a line! That was a wonderful surprise.

Last edited:

Jiminy Cricket became Disney's environment mascot starting at least sometime in the 1990s. He was seen with the phrase "I've Got Environmentality" on buttons and other stuff. With Earth Day so much about the environment, I think he naturally became their Earth Day mascot, too.

I saw Jiminy at AK this past week doing M&Gs, but there's no mention of him continuing beyond today.

Jiminy is the official mascot and spokes-cricket for Disney's environmental initiatives.

From Disney:
In addition to teaching kids about man’s history with and reliance upon fire in the educational short I’m No Fool With Fire, Jiminy Cricket also served as the mascot for “Environmentality,” The Walt Disney Company’s commitment to acting responsibly with the environment in mind. Jiminy Cricket’s simple advice—“Always let your conscience be your guide”—is something that everyone should heed when it comes to protecting our natural resources.

Jiminy cricket mentored Pinocchio, Pinocchio is made of wood, wood is from trees, trees are from mother nature.

Therefore Pinocchio is basically what the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon is to planet Earth

Jiminy Cricket was in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" with Bugs Bunny who was in "Space Jam" with Bill Murray who was in "Wild Things" with Kevin Bacon. Three degrees :)

Jiminy is my favorite "side-kick" character in all of Disney-dom (Sebastian being second in line.) That doesn't answer your question but it was important for me to put that out there. I agree that it's related to Jiminy's attitude of "do the right thing."

When AK opened in 1998, VCR was the preferred format for tapes and film. It was a few years before digital formats like DVD took off.

During this time frame, I had gotten a WDW vacation planning video that showed Jiminy Cricket as a live character. His appearance on the tape was brief, but I never saw him before that as a live character. I fell in love and obsessed about running into him while we were in Florida. :love:

Finally in 2008, I got to meet him in person. My boys and I entered the Magic Kingdom to find a bunch of character meet and greets all around the flagpole area at the tip of Main Street. There were a few rare characters there that morning, but once I spotted Jiminy, I was like, you guys go meet who you want, I’m staying here until I meet this adorable cricket. LOL!

The boys stayed with me, and all 3 of us met my man Jiminy. :cloud9: By then, he was the narrator for Wishes so even if Pinnochio didn’t seal the deal, his role in Wishes made him a big star to my kids. :)

Funniest thing, when we brought DGD on her first trip at 3 (she just turned 10) he was a regular character meeting out at Rafikis. With no line at all. He had a massive line today. Amazing what making a character rare does to the line. Doc, poor thing, totally neglected today. No one wanted to meet her

Last edited:
Jiminy's line was short at HKDL so I managed to meet him four times in an hour and a half. I remember Jiminy being even rarer in Disneyland than Disney World but he's semi-regular in DisneySea. I've seem him roaming a few times in Mediterranean Harbor and roaming once in Tokyo Disneyland.

Jiminy Cricket was in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" with Bugs Bunny who was in "Space Jam" with Bill Murray who was in "Wild Things" with Kevin Bacon. Three degrees :)

I'll play. Jiminy Cricket was in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" with Bugs Bunny Bob Hoskins, who did voiceover in "Balto" with Kevin Bacon. Two!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter