Does David's tell you if the renter cancels?

The credit isn't for points it's in a dollar amount. I imagine that would mean if I wanted to rebook for later in the year, I'd end up owing MORE money for my postponed trip to Aulani?

Here's the exact email that David's is sending out:

We understand the severe impact that the COVID-19 virus is having. We want to assure you that we are doing everything in our power to accommodate the points you rented, given the confines of the Rental Agreement and the Disney Vacation Club rules. We are prepared to issue those that were affected by the Disney Vacation Club Resort closures a Travel Credit through David’s Vacation Club Rentals. This Travel Credit will be the dollar value of the cost of your DVC Rental less any compensation already received. As this Credit is in its infancy and we are working with several facets of our business, we do not have all of the details to provide to you today.

We ask that you don’t send more than one email; every email sent takes resources away to sort through.

We will be reaching out to you in the next few weeks to provide you with exact details about how the Credit works, your dollar value, how to redeem your Credit, and the terms and conditions.
Why would there be an adjustment "less any compensation already received"? Did some people receive refunds? is there a claim that creating the initial reservation had value worthy of compensation? My sympathy to Renters and Owners.

Davids have paid out the final 30% for the reservation I had made for a family. As I stated to Davids, I will be happy to make a new reservation for them or anyone else that Davids feels the points are suitable for in the future and if needs be I can bank them into December 2020 use year.

Davids have paid out the final 30% for the reservation I had made for a family. As I stated to Davids, I will be happy to make a new reservation for them or anyone else that Davids feels the points are suitable for in the future and if needs be I can bank them into December 2020 use year.

I just want to be sure I understand. You got the 30%, without having to re rent your points? And this was for a reservation that took place during a time the resort was already closed?

Why would there be an adjustment "less any compensation already received"? Did some people receive refunds? is there a claim that creating the initial reservation had value worthy of compensation? My sympathy to Renters and Owners.
Yeah that wording is odd, maybe people who had part of their trip and then the rest canceled when the resort closed?

I just want to be sure I understand. You got the 30%, without having to re rent your points? And this was for a reservation that took place during a time the resort was already closed?
Yes. However they had requested to cancel a few days earlier than resort closure was announced when only the parks had announced closure. At that time I had agreed to reschedule but not refund and Davids had agreed to pay the 30% on the checkin day.
I have reliably rented points out through Davids for the last six years perhaps this may have a bearing on paying out, knowing I will actually reschedule when required to do so.

Last edited:
Yes. However they had requested to cancel a few days earlier than resort closure was announced when only the parks had announced closure. At that time I had agreed to reschedule but not refund and Davids had agreed to pay the 30% on the checkin day.
I have reliably rented points out through Davids for the last six years perhaps this may have a bearing on paying out, knowing I will actually reschedule when required to do so.

Good for you. You are the first person that has actually gotten paid for a reservation that was scheduled for a check in after March 20th.

Most here...and elsewhere have not.

I know owners have the renters info, I didn't know renters have the owners info. I just had one of my renters reach out to follow up on their reschedule. It turns out they had asked for their trip to be cancelled and rescheduled several weeks ago, but I had not yet been notified.

So I guess the answer to the question is no, but I'd venture to guess that they may be so overwhelmed right now.

I know owners have the renters info, I didn't know renters have the owners info. I just had one of my renters reach out to follow up on their reschedule. It turns out they had asked for their trip to be cancelled and rescheduled several weeks ago, but I had not yet been notified.

So I guess the answer to the question is no, but I'd venture to guess that they may be so overwhelmed right now.

We have full names, so if your name is uncommon enough to be found on social media it isn't too hard to find someone. Also made easier when what you can see on their public profile indicates they're a Disney fan.

That is really too bad that it wasn’t sent to you because availability a few weeks ago was a lot better than today.

Maybe what should have happened is that David’s should hsve asked owners willing to reschedule to reach out to the renters directly..or get owners permission to send renter their contact info so that could be done,

But, then again, that would have cut him out.

We have full names, so if your name is uncommon enough to be found on social media it isn't too hard to find someone. Also made easier when what you can see on their public profile indicates they're a Disney fan.
Where did we get the name of the DVC member with our rental?

I knew being named Yinn Jacobs the 14th would come back to bite me in the butt

That is really too bad that it wasn’t sent to you because availability a few weeks ago was a lot better than today.

Maybe what should have happened is that David’s should hsve asked owners willing to reschedule to reach out to the renters directly..or get owners permission to send renter their contact info so that could be done,

But, then again, that would have cut him out.

That's the unfortunate part. Luckily there is still availability during the time they want. But now I'm back in a wait and see with David's because only half the points can be returned. So I have to see what they want to do.

I have rented out points not through David's but through a different broker with an early June check-in date. The points are February use year, banked from 2019, so will be usable until January 31, 2021, with no possibility of extending beyond then. I have no use for the points myself, and if WDW is still closed in June I plan to offer to rebook the renter for alternative dates (or rebook the reservation for different renters if the broker chooses), and I will also wait for the final 25% fee until the new check-in date if the broker wants. I will not be returning the 75% initial payment.

I want to thank you for your patient, thoughtful, rational and accurate answers. CraiginPA as well. While there is a lot of justified confusion on this thread and it is well founded a few people are just careless and substitute words for other words and their 'opinions' as what the words actually in the contract mean. A couple of others seem to be little more than trolls.

Your nuance and effort are appreciated.

You are correct, I am a lawyer, and that is why you will not see me speaking in absolutes about any contract on a discussion board. There are quite a few of us who are attorneys on the DVC boards, and I haven’t seen a single one weigh in on the matter. I guarantee you it is not because they haven’t been reading, but most likely because our professional ethics and license would forbid us from giving legal advice on a discussion board. Also, this is not a once size fits all situation and what may be the right answer in one case will not yield the same results in another transaction.

I would strongly urge anyone in a position who believes they have lost money because an apparent breach of contract to reach out to an actual attorney. (This only applies to those who feel pursuing this is worth their time and money, because it will require both). A lot of attorneys will give you a free consultation and can advise whether you should pursue legal action (whether that be court action or even just a strongly worded letter from an attorney). Without someone examining the exact signed contracts you have and applicable provisions to the transaction, no one can say with any certainty who is owed a refund and who should be left holding the bag. There are many different aspects of contract law that come into play here, and it definitely is not as simple as the resort isn’t open so you have to give a refund. And there are very few instances, if any, of when a contract dispute over withholding funds one party feels entitled to under contract would morph into larceny (for the crazy references I saw made bringing criminal law into this).

Agreed. Thank you for the advice!

Side question, though. Does my detail stay private to the renter? I was always under the impression that I know his details as much as he knows mine. After all, I forwarded a room request confirmation email to David's that has my contact information on it. But I am not sure if they forwarded it to the renter.
There is a contract the David sends after the reservation is made and it has names on it. I can see the owners names and that’s it. No contact information which is how it should be.

There is a contract the David sends after the reservation is made and it has names on it. I can see the owners names and that’s it. No contact information which is how it should be.

In the other thread, there are owners and renters who indicate that an email is sent by David's to both parties with copies of the signed contract, so they might have each other's contact information

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter