Dollars

Stefy

Is it time for Disney yet???
Hi Guys

I was wondering, where does everyone get their dollars now that Crown Currency is no longer?

TIA
Stefy :)

Always use fairfx and load my card up, always seem to have a few $ left over so never take much more than that

Always use fairfx and load my card up, always seem to have a few $ left over so never take much more than that

how do you use the card?
they just started offering something like this here for the first time - a card that you can load up with any kind of currency for anywhere in the world...

but how do you use the card? is it like a debit card? you hand it to the cashier and they debit the amount off the card?

what happens if you lose the card? i would think it's just like cash, so if you lose it, it's gone, right? (as opposed to travelers checks)...

The same as a debit card, i use it in shops and to draw moneyout, it does charge to draw out so i make sure i draw a large amount out so i dont have to draw out as much.

We take a laptop soni can top up and check my balance online while im out there.

I looked at the anywhere card but its charges are different than the $ one so stuck to the dollar one

We have had it over two years now and used it in disney, mexico, egypt, tenerife and here with noproblems

The same as a debit card, i use it in shops and to draw moneyout, it does charge to draw out so i make sure i draw a large amount out so i dont have to draw out as much.

We take a laptop soni can top up and check my balance online while im out there.

I looked at the anywhere card but its charges are different than the $ one so stuck to the dollar one

We have had it over two years now and used it in disney, mexico, egypt, tenerife and here with noproblems

you can top up the card? that's interesting..
so in other words, you don't need to load it up with the total amount you'll need...
you can add more as you go along..
so if you lose it, you'll only lose part of your money...

hmm...that's interesting.....
i'm going to check into that for DS....he's going to south america and not to say anything disparaging about SA, but it is a kind of dangerous place in terms of petty crime (and not so petty)....

i was wondering about him carrying cash....and travellers cheques are a pain (and sometimes not honoured)..
so if he could take a card that can then be topped up, that would be a good thing...

i wonder what the policy is for 'leftover' money...
if he takes chilean pesos and doesn't spend them all....
and by the way, £1 = 743 Chilean pesos
so £100 = 74,309 Chilean pesos
and £1000 = 743,090 Chilean pesos
and £2000 is almost 1.5 MILLION chilean pesos!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Beth, certainly for Fairfx (and I'm pretty sure most of the other currency cards offered), the card can be stopped and your money is safe. They do recommend that you have a second card, just loaded with a small amount,t hat the balance could be transferred to in an emergency.

Below is what the FAQ on Fairfx website says:

Q. What happens if my card is lost or stolen?

A. You should treat your FairFX Card like cash in a wallet. If it is lost or stolen, you may lose some or all of your money on your FairFX Card. As a result, you must keep your Currency Card safe and not let anyone else use it. If you are issued with a PIN, you must immediately memorise it and destroy the notification. You must keep your PIN secret at all times. Do not write it down or reveal it to anyone.

We recommend that you check the balance on your FairFX Card regularly online at the Website. You can see your FairFX Card balance and most recent statement of transactions online at any time by selecting the "balance" button on the Website and completing the security details.

If you lose your FairFX Card or it is stolen or you suspect that your FairFX Card has been used by someone, you must tell us as soon as you can by calling our 24 hour helpline on 01159 577420. We will then cancel your FairFX Card. If you ask us to do so, we will ask the police to investigate any suspected misuse of your FairFX Card and they may need more information and assistance from you.

We will refund the amount of any transactions which the investigations show are not authorised by you, provided you have kept your FairFX Card and PIN secure. However, if the investigations show that any disputed transaction was authorised by you or you have not kept your FairFX Card or PIN secure, we will not refund the transaction amount and will charge you an administration fee of £5.00.

Beth, certainly for Fairfx (and I'm pretty sure most of the other currency cards offered), the card can be stopped and your money is safe. They do recommend that you have a second card, just loaded with a small amount,t hat the balance could be transferred to in an emergency.

Below is what the FAQ on Fairfx website says:

Q. What happens if my card is lost or stolen?

A. You should treat your FairFX Card like cash in a wallet. If it is lost or stolen, you may lose some or all of your money on your FairFX Card. As a result, you must keep your Currency Card safe and not let anyone else use it. If you are issued with a PIN, you must immediately memorise it and destroy the notification. You must keep your PIN secret at all times. Do not write it down or reveal it to anyone.

We recommend that you check the balance on your FairFX Card regularly online at the Website. You can see your FairFX Card balance and most recent statement of transactions online at any time by selecting the "balance" button on the Website and completing the security details.

If you lose your FairFX Card or it is stolen or you suspect that your FairFX Card has been used by someone, you must tell us as soon as you can by calling our 24 hour helpline on 01159 577420. We will then cancel your FairFX Card. If you ask us to do so, we will ask the police to investigate any suspected misuse of your FairFX Card and they may need more information and assistance from you.

We will refund the amount of any transactions which the investigations show are not authorised by you, provided you have kept your FairFX Card and PIN secure. However, if the investigations show that any disputed transaction was authorised by you or you have not kept your FairFX Card or PIN secure, we will not refund the transaction amount and will charge you an administration fee of £5.00.

thanks!!!

Hi Guys

I was wondering, where does everyone get their dollars now that Crown Currency is no longer?

TIA

I use a fee free credit card for 99% of spending, you get full interbank rate (just now $1.5941) and no worries about cash(insurance only covers about £100pp, check your policy)
I did swap some money recently, more for relatives than myself but I managed to haggle with Thomas Cook instore, got rate up from $1.55 to $1.60 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2740844
I would never deal with any online company.

Im a bit old fashioned and like my dollor cheques and some cash BUT i did take a fairfx card and found it very easy to use. Didnt need tk draw any money out but u can load 2 etc for food and snacks of 300 each and they worked great. I kept the reciepts as couldnt get a balance in the disney parks. I would def not use as a holing card at the hotel or cruise as it will gobble the lot and will take a few days to get the money back u dont spend. Happened to someone on here last year.
If u go through topcashback beth and goto holiday extras they are giving 10% on faifx card

I mainly use a credit card but order currency from Travelex in advance to collect at the airport. They offer a much better rate if you order in advance and it's v easy to collect - there are branches at most of the main airports.

I mainly use a credit card but order currency from Travelex in advance to collect at the airport. They offer a much better rate if you order in advance and it's v easy to collect - there are branches at most of the main airports.

We usually get our cash from Travelex too but last year we used Post Office as they had a slightly better rate and we got cashback through Quidco :thumbsup2

We use Fairfx card and have for the last 3 years and top up whilst out there as either myself or husband get paid whilst we are on holiday usually.

We also buy some dollars to take with us usually from Marks and Spencer as their rate is good. We dont usually take any more than $300 in cash.

You can still get the Fairfx card free through Matalan if you are a member of Matalan, whereas the Fairfx card is usually around £10.

We dont use our card to get cash out, use it in shops as well as pay our balance at our Disney hotel at the end of the holiday, as we use the room card to buy anything whilst on Disney property. Incidentally I hand over my debit card to secure the room card when checking in but then pay with the Fairfx card at the end of the holiday:thumbsup2

So there is no site that is similar to Crown Currency then?

Thanks for all the suggestions, we usually get cash made up at either the Post Office or M&S, so I guess we will just have to do that.

Thanks again

So there is no site that is similar to Crown Currency then?

Thanks for all the suggestions, we usually get cash made up at either the Post Office or M&S, so I guess we will just have to do that.

Thanks again

Check out Martin Lewis guide for best rate http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
I strongly advise you not to send money to any company. Martin Lewis has warnings on like this
Warning! You can't pay by credit/debit card, meaning you are less protected.
FSA Authorised?: No

After Crown I can't believe anyone would use this type of service, you might gain a few $'s but people lost millions sending to a company they did not know. Exchange over a counter, not always the best rate but at least you get it.

I've used my fairfx card now for several years with no problems, I also have the friends and family card attached to the same account so if I loose the card I have the other one with me I can transfer the funds onto.

Check out Martin Lewis guide for best rate http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
I strongly advise you not to send money to any company. Martin Lewis has warnings on like this
Warning! You can't pay by credit/debit card, meaning you are less protected.
FSA Authorised?: No

After Crown I can't believe anyone would use this type of service, you might gain a few $'s but people lost millions sending to a company they did not know. Exchange over a counter, not always the best rate but at least you get it.

Yes I was one of the people that lost £2000 a week before we went last year and I paid crown currency just 1 hour before they did a runner:eek: . To this day I have not had a penny back so will never ever ever get my money from any where else then a shop now . BE VERY CAREFUL

If anyone is interested in the Fairfx Card I am happy to do a referral from my account means you don't have to pay the £9.95 charge opening fee:

As a valued FairFX customer we’d like to thank you by giving you £2.50 for every single new customer you refer when they order their first FairFX Card!

We'll also waive the normal account opening fee of £9.95* for all of your referrals PLUS give them an extra £2.50 if they load more than £250 in their first transaction. Simply share your voucher code or referrer link (below) with your friends and colleagues and we’ll do the rest!

Link is https://www.fairfx.com/ref/ersat
Voucher code is ersat

I earn £2.50 for each person that signs up via this - but will donate the money to Cancer Research - hopefully some disser's can save by not paying the opening fee.

Thanks again guys, might check out the fairfx card.

Wildwood I am so sorry that happened to you, was there no claims thing that you could go through?

was there no claims thing that you could go through?

There was a claims procedure but as with any other company that goes into admin it takes years to sort out and the final figure is likely to be pennies in the £(if anything at all), what little money that was left in the company will go on legal costs.
A mobile phone company I was with went into admin about 8 years ago, I had paid upfront so they owed me about £300, I got letters for about 4-5 years advising me to do nothing legal proceding are still going on, ended with nothing, no money left after legal costs.
People lost £1,000's, some had transferred enough to buy houses abroad. Not sure if anyone has been offered anything but I doubt it.

If anyone is interested in the Fairfx Card I am happy to do a referral from my account means you don't have to pay the £9.95 charge opening fee:

As a valued FairFX customer we’d like to thank you by giving you £2.50 for every single new customer you refer when they order their first FairFX Card!

We'll also waive the normal account opening fee of £9.95* for all of your referrals PLUS give them an extra £2.50 if they load more than £250 in their first transaction. Simply share your voucher code or referrer link (below) with your friends and colleagues and we’ll do the rest!

Link is https://www.fairfx.com/ref/ersat
Voucher code is ersat

I earn £2.50 for each person that signs up via this - but will donate the money to Cancer Research - hopefully some disser's can save by not paying the opening fee.

thankyou zippy99 just registered! xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!