Doomsday Preppers

Domo

Wotcha
Do you know a Doomsday Prepper in real life, or do they exist solely on news reports and tabloid articles?

For those of you who don't know, a doomsday prepper is someone so expectant of an impending apocalypse that they start stockpiling food, water, weapons and so on, usually with a safe bolt-hole such as a bunker.

Yes, I do...and they are both police officers. No bunker hole, just a basement with lots of supplies including a “toilet” and bullets. I was a little surprised when I saw the set up :scared1: Me and my family? We might last a couple days...or not :laughing:

Ugh my fiancé and his family. Luckily when he and I got our own place I was able to control him a bit - he has some weapons and ammo, extra water, and we always have extra canned food on hand. We also have go bags. At his parents' house, they have an entire room of guns, ammo, food, etc. I can't stand it and he gets mad because I always tell him I wouldn't want to even try to survive in one of those types of situations haha.

Do you know a Doomsday Prepper in real life, or do they exist solely on news reports and tabloid articles?

For those of you who don't know, a doomsday prepper is someone so expectant of an impending apocalypse that they start stockpiling food, water, weapons and so on, usually with a safe bolt-hole such as a bunker.

I guess I'm somewhat of a prepper. I have some meals and some water ready to go at all times. I have some extra gas around. We can light a fire if need be. But I don't have a bunker somewhere no. Here's the rub. The chances of an event simultaneously bad enough where I'll need such a bunker, give me enough warning that I can get my entire family to it, and not also bad enough to kill everyone in their bunkers off within 6 months to a year at the outside most is extremely remote.

Last edited:

We don't know any preppers. We also don't usually have food in our home to make dinner, without stopping at the grocery store. That said, after sitting in bumper to bumper traffic trying to escape hurricane Irma, we've discussed needing an exit strategy in case of another disaster. It took us 23 hrs. straight driving to reach a destination that should have taken 10 hrs. Finding gas & to a larger extent food was a real problem. Coming home with not electricity & very limited food options in stores & restaurants was another major problem. Unfortunately, we've decided a boat is our only chance for a successful escape in an emergency. We don't have a boat, so I guess we'll keep shopping at the grocery store or ordering takeout every evening & hope for no major disaster. :oops:

I don't think I know any preppers, but maybe some folks keep it to themselves? I can certainly understand the wisdom of keeping some supplies on hand for weather related emergencies, honestly we don't even do that.

I know 2, they go to prepper conventions and things like that. Not my style but if things went south I would be over there houses in a hurry

I know some people who keep supplies on hand but I don't consider them true doomsday preppers

I am planning in my head to be one. Living on an island and one things changes, like our recent political troubles and food gets scarce fast. Not sure when but one day. It talke a lot of thought and planning and I just try to get through one week at a time when it comes to feeding my family. I can not imagie what it woudl take to have enough for say 6 months. No basements here as we are at sealevel.

Where do you draw the line on who's a doomsday prepper and who is just prepared?

We have about a months worth of water and 2 weeks of food + lights batteries fire starters dust masks plus our normal firearms and spare ammo. Basically enough for a short term emergency/disaster ..I hope to add more food to the pile though.

I keep supplies like extra food and water, no bunker. I figure past a month or two I may have to fight and kill my neighbors or simply leave and start living off the land, at some point others will come after your stash. No sense storing such a large amount only to become a target.

I’m not a prepper. But a question comes to my mind, and that is, if you are a prepper, don’t you have to go through your prepped items every now and then, and discard expired items and replace them? How often do you do this.

I’m not a prepper but we have enough food here for a couple of months. I think I need to stop going to the grocery store or at least look in the pantry and freezer before shopping ;)

Seriously, not interested in living in a dystopian world which is what it would come down to.

While I don’t think he was a prepper, when my dfil died my former army medic, police officer son said he had enough ammo to take out a small country. He was so uncomfortable about it he called law enforcement to dispose of it. He also had a collection of weapons we had no idea he had that they sold at an auction. We also didn’t know he had a hand gun in his car till my son went to move his car and found the gun under the seat when he went to move the seat.

On the other hand I do keep a selection of can goods my kids refer to moms food bank. When they come home to visit they always shop at moms. On the plus side I never run out of anything.

I know 2, they go to prepper conventions and things like that. Not my style but if things went south I would be over there houses in a hurry

Yeah, seems like if you had massive amount of stuff saved up you would be wise not to advertise that fact to everyone you know. Because if everything turns to chaos like you think it will you have to know that lots of people are going to show up at your house begging for food. It's one thing to imagine defending yourself against the "bad guys" (aliens, military, zombies... Whatever your particular conspiracy theory is.) It's another thing entirely to imagine using firearms on your neighbors and extended family because you blabbed about having 2 years of food stored away. :crazy2:

I’m not a prepper. But a question comes to my mind, and that is, if you are a prepper, don’t you have to go through your prepped items every now and then, and discard expired items and replace them? How often do you do this.
Yes people tend to rotate things in and out and consume things before they expire ... Also a lot of people just have things like mre's / freeze dried emergency food that's good for 10 20 30 years.

My sister has a neighbor that has a bug out bag ready to go. Probably, more than one. When he is not at work he is pretty much dressed ready to go at all times ( cargo pants full of stuff etc). He has plenty of guns and and place to go. I believe he has told my sister that she and her family are more than welcome to join him if things go bad :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter