Doomsday Preppers

I’m not a prepper but we have enough food here for a couple of months. I think I need to stop going to the grocery store or at least look in the pantry and freezer before shopping ;)

Seriously, not interested in living in a dystopian world which is what it would come down to.
As an Aussie, are you familiar with the Nevil Shute novel On the Beach? I read it as a teen and thinking about it still makes me shudder. :scared:

When everyone was freaking out over the whole Y2K thing our neighbors bought it hook, line and sinker. They spent all their savings buying a bunch of land out in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming and putting a little house on it---all concrete block and steele. Moved out there with their three kids, a generator, and a truck full of bottled water and canned foods.

Meanwhile, our family was on a plane when it was midnight local time---they kept tellin us we were going to die and taking our kids with us. . .

Not seriously. I do keep some bottled water on hand, as we had troubles with our local lines last spring. There are certain grocery items that I tend to stock up on when they're on sale, so I probably could make do for meals for a while, and do I own a battery-powered radio. But otherwise, it's not really my thing. I don't think I know anybody with a bunker.

A guy that used to work with me was one. He just had a room in his house where he stockpiled food and weapons. To be fair though, he was also very cheap and could just be stockpiling food because he would buy it when it was on sale and he loved guns and would go to the shooting range all the time.

No, I thought I was prepared for a hurricane until Irma came. Now I am actually prepared and could feed/care for my family for quite an extended period of time without electricity or water. We don't have any guns, which I feel most doomsday preppers really would have.

I think it is good to be prepared. I have a neighbor who is a prepper, and he takes being prepared a few steps too far.

We live in CA and don't even really prep for earthquakes, let alone a doomsday scenario. We usually have extra bottled water and a full pantry, although we could be better prepared with more water and maybe a radio as we'd likely only have enough for a week at most. As far as a the end of the world, I'm just not the survivalist type. I don't think I'd make it long.

If you know any Mormons, then you know preppers. Preparedness is a tenet of the religion. The kids and I each have a go-bag with a 3-day supply of food and water. I used to keep an additional 1 week full ration of water for each of us plus 3 months of shelf-stable food, but not now that we are renting. I'm not so good about rotating my supplies anymore either. Mormon preparedness isn't necessarily about disaster survival, it is more about being self-reliant.

My neighbors were preppers. They had stacks of boxes in their garage all labeled. There had to have been 40 boxes. They had four children and were prepared.

My SIL has a month worth of supplies. She has told me if anything happens come on over because she has feminine products and liquor in there!!:rotfl:

If you know any Mormons, then you know preppers. Preparedness is a tenet of the religion. The kids and I each have a go-bag with a 3-day supply of food and water. I used to keep an additional 1 week full ration of water for each of us plus 3 months of shelf-stable food, but not now that we are renting. I'm not so good about rotating my supplies anymore either. Mormon preparedness isn't necessarily about disaster survival, it is more about being self-reliant.
:scratchin Ahhh, so that's what it's about...I've been in the basements of several Mormon customers and was curious about the huge stockpiles. My guess was all their kids eating them out of house and home.

Mormon here! Yes, we have about a three month food storage and a few big barrels of water. Not really prepping for Doomsday because like most of you, I wouldn’t want to stick around anyway, but it did help us out when my husband was laid off for a few months several years ago. And if we did have an earthquake that didn’t take us out, I imagine it would be awhile before anyone could get to the stores, or trucks could bring food in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter