Dopey 2020.....

So in true Type A personality fashion, I bought a training journal for 2019 in preparation for Dopey 2020. I ran the full this year (Jan 2018), and I need a year to save!

I am wondering how long before the event you did your Dopey trial runs, if you've run it before? I am planning to run 3, 6, 10, and then 14 miles for four days consecutively in preparation but I'm not sure how far in advance (beginning of Dec?) would make the most sense. I am going to then work my training schedule back from there using Hanson's plan.

Thanks!

So in true Type A personality fashion, I bought a training journal for 2019 in preparation for Dopey 2020. I ran the full this year (Jan 2018), and I need a year to save!

I am wondering how long before the event you did your Dopey trial runs, if you've run it before? I am planning to run 3, 6, 10, and then 14 miles for four days consecutively in preparation but I'm not sure how far in advance (beginning of Dec?) would make the most sense. I am going to then work my training schedule back from there using Hanson's plan.

Thanks!

If you’re using Hanson’s you should have plenty of back to back runs throughout the program that a simulation isn’t really necessary. I know a lot of people like to do simulations, but I think they end up being more for peace of mind than physiological benefit. Unless you’re planning on racing all the races for PRs a solid marathon plan will prepare you adequately.

I am wondering how long before the event you did your Dopey trial runs, if you've run it before?
I worked backward from race weekend, making my final b2b2b2b simulation 3 weeks before race weekend. So going backwards, it looked like this:
Dopey
cut-back
cut-back
3/6/12/22
cut-back
2/5/11/20
cut-back
1/4/10/18
cut-back
3/9/16
cut-back
2/8/15
cut-back
1/7/14

I know from past experience my body responds really well to b2b training, so I did plenty of them. YMMV, of course.

Yeah, I mean, I’m game. I’m hoping my business is doing at least well enough financially that I can take the time off from my “day job” to go do it. Or quit it. If I get through the triple trail challenge next year, or at if the training is going well enough for Mid-Mountain Marathon, I may be on board.

I am going to jump in for 2020. I have run the Dopey three times and this year am injured so no WDW Marathon Weekend for me in 2019. But 2020, I am in!

Dopey 2020 is my goal too!!! It will be my first full marathon. I'm realistic about the challenge and looking forward to my training. I'm coming off a significant injury so I'm not sure how fast I'm going to heal. I started a journal in the journal section. Looking forward to seeing everyone else who decides to take this on!!

So glad I found this thread. I thought I was the only one mad enough to be thinking about the 2020 Dopey challenge already.
After my first runDisney experience in Paris this year I have got the bug and am looking to run the Dopey in 2020 and then do the Castaway Cay challenge. Have already booked the 4 day cruise on the 13th Jan 2020, which hopefully ties up with the WDW marathon weekend. Your cruise deposit is fully refundable if the date changes, so I thought it worth booking.
Can’t wait! ‍♂️

So glad I found this thread. I thought I was the only one mad enough to be thinking about the 2020 Dopey challenge already.
After my first runDisney experience in Paris this year I have got the bug and am looking to run the Dopey in 2020 and then do the Castaway Cay challenge. Have already booked the 4 day cruise on the 13th Jan 2020, which hopefully ties up with the WDW marathon weekend. Your cruise deposit is fully refundable if the date changes, so I thought it worth booking.
Can’t wait! ‍♂️
Im taking the gamble too and have already booked the cruise and WDW resort, hopefully our guess for dates are correct. This is going to be my first Marathon, planning on Dopey + Castaway Cay Challenge.

Im taking the gamble too and have already booked the cruise and WDW resort, hopefully our guess for dates are correct. This is going to be my first Marathon, planning on Dopey + Castaway Cay Challenge.

I’m sure it will be a fantastic weekend and will also be my first marathon (yikes - can we do this?) and to do the cruise / Castaway Cay challenge at the end will be an added bonus.
Out of interest who did you book your resort accommodation with? From here in the U.K. we are unable at present to book anything via the Disney site for Jan 20.

I’m sure it will be a fantastic weekend and will also be my first marathon (yikes - can we do this?) and to do the cruise / Castaway Cay challenge at the end will be an added bonus.
Out of interest who did you book your resort accommodation with? From here in the U.K. we are unable at present to book anything via the Disney site for Jan 20.
Y’all can do it. It’s really a matter of just hitting your training runs and not going out too fast in the race. I know that’s an over simplification, but it is one way to look at it and not feel so daunting.

Can’t wait! ‍♂️

Awesome! We did the CCC this year (Jan 2018) and it was so much fun to be on board with all of the other runners. We all had the "marathon walk" going on, grabbing on for dear life to the stair rails. The 5K on the island is fun, they use a little different route than the castaway cay 5K they usually do. Sadly, we won't be doing it this time (2020), we are bringing all 5 of the kids to the marathon weekend this time and the parks will be cost enough without the cruise, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter