Dopey Castaway Rebel Coast-to-Coast Challenge 2016

RunningPrince

Mouseketeer
Thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone else is running the WDW Dopey, DCL Castaway Challenge and DLR Rebel Challenge (71 miles in 11 days with 12 medals or 74.1 miles if you do a double 5k on Castaway Cay and 13 medals ). Let's share ideas on training approaches, travel between races and tips/hints for each race. Back to training!

only doing the Dopey and the Rebel Challenge...no castaway here, not sure how you can fit all of that in those days, but good luck!

Me too only doing Dopey and 5k + Rebel Challenge... and i think it's enough :earboy2: Good Luck for your triple challenge

Dopey and Rebel Challenge together is a great combo - couldn't do the Star Wars 5k as the Dream arrives back at Port Canaveral that morning and we have to scramble to MCO to catch our flight to SNA to get registration before it closes Friday night - is there a medal for that???

I am interested in finding out the logistics of this for future reference. Particularly the off the cruise and making the expo for Star wars.

The logistics are a bit challenging but doable...

1) Carry-on is required for cruise and flights so no bag checks and TSA-Pre status so you have short security lines.
2) Arrive in Florida from California on Wednesday 1/6/16 taking first flight out so you arrive by 4pm and take car to WWoS Expo to get Dopey packet pickup.
3) Enjoy Dopey and the parks for 4 days.
4) Car to Port Canaveral on Monday, 1/11/16 to arrive by noon - check in at Gold desk (6th cruise on DCL) and board ship - first time on Dream (rest were Magic and Wonder trips).
5) Register immediately for Castaway Cay normal run planned for 9:30am on Wednesday 1/13/16 - the Castaway Cay Challenge is run 1.5 hours earlier so you can run on the island twice to get a 10k (5k + 5k) run in.
6) Use express disembark on Friday 1/15/16 to leave ship with carry-on bags at 8am.
7) Car to MCO by 9:15. Carry-on and TSA-Pre again.
8) Catch flight from MCO to SNA (or LAX) - there are several options that leave between 10am and noon and arrive between 3 and 5pm.
9) Taxi to Expo by 5-6pm (we'll get there at 5pm)
10) Pick up Rebel Challenge packet and enjoy DLR Expo for an hour.
11) Enjoy Rebel Challenge and Parks for 3 days.
12) Head home with bling and then pass out.

Key things to remember - book flights and cruise first before races. If Annual pass or DVC, use early race registration option. Castaway Challenge requires cruise booking confirmation number.

The logistics are a bit challenging but doable...

1) Carry-on is required for cruise and flights so no bag checks and TSA-Pre status so you have short security lines.
2) Arrive in Florida from California on Wednesday 1/6/16 taking first flight out so you arrive by 4pm and take car to WWoS Expo to get Dopey packet pickup.
3) Enjoy Dopey and the parks for 4 days.
4) Car to Port Canaveral on Monday, 1/11/16 to arrive by noon - check in at Gold desk (6th cruise on DCL) and board ship - first time on Dream (rest were Magic and Wonder trips).
5) Register immediately for Castaway Cay normal run planned for 9:30am on Wednesday 1/13/16 - the Castaway Cay Challenge is run 1.5 hours earlier so you can run on the island twice to get a 10k (5k + 5k) run in.
6) Use express disembark on Friday 1/15/16 to leave ship with carry-on bags at 8am.
7) Car to MCO by 9:15. Carry-on and TSA-Pre again.
8) Catch flight from MCO to SNA (or LAX) - there are several options that leave between 10am and noon and arrive between 3 and 5pm.
9) Taxi to Expo by 5-6pm (we'll get there at 5pm)
10) Pick up Rebel Challenge packet and enjoy DLR Expo for an hour.
11) Enjoy Rebel Challenge and Parks for 3 days.
12) Head home with bling and then pass out.

Key things to remember - book flights and cruise first before races. If Annual pass or DVC, use early race registration option. Castaway Challenge requires cruise booking confirmation number.

WOW! I can't wait to read your trip report. You are doing a trip report right?! This would be something that I did once and never again. I admire your tenacity!

Register immediately for Castaway Cay normal run

Yes.

I do have to say...given that this is only the second time the January Challenge has been held, and only the third time total (and from what I read, Princess's challenge was done a little differently), I'd be careful assuming it's all going to be the same. If I were doing it I know I'd want to be cautious.

I mean, I hope they've only improved it (hoping they will), and I hope everything you expect happens...but they could change it.

And I hope they can dock! They scared us badly at the meeting ahead of time, saying "if we cannot dock you still meet here and we'll hand out your medals"....they wouldn't have even held a run on the ship. Crazytalk.

And if I were doing that, I would get trip insurance and see if I could include the DL race. Because that flight back west scares me in January...if one big hub is having weather issues, it's unbelievable how fast the problems sweep across the country.

WOW! I can't wait to read your trip report. You are doing a trip report right?! This would be something that I did once and never again. I admire your tenacity!
Thanks - will be lots of running but looking forward to it - we'll post a trip report about the adventure - as I'm new to the DISboard, is there a particular place to put the trip report or do I just add it to this thread?

Yes.

I do have to say...given that this is only the second time the January Challenge has been held, and only the third time total (and from what I read, Princess's challenge was done a little differently), I'd be careful assuming it's all going to be the same. If I were doing it I know I'd want to be cautious.

I mean, I hope they've only improved it (hoping they will), and I hope everything you expect happens...but they could change it.

And I hope they can dock! They scared us badly at the meeting ahead of time, saying "if we cannot dock you still meet here and we'll hand out your medals"....they wouldn't have even held a run on the ship. Crazytalk.

And if I were doing that, I would get trip insurance and see if I could include the DL race. Because that flight back west scares me in January...if one big hub is having weather issues, it's unbelievable how fast the problems sweep across the country.
Thanks for the advice! Heard a lot of stories about the first Castaway Challenge - hoping that since they regularly offer the Castaway Cay 5K now for all cruises to their island that the Castaway Cay Challenge #3 will run smoothly. If we don't dock, 10 laps around the ship deck will be 3.3 miles from what I've read so I can complete a 5K during the cruise. Had same concerns on flights to west coast after cruise so we chose a southern flight route (via Houston) to avoid air traffic delays. Hopefully the planning pays off!

Thanks - will be lots of running but looking forward to it - we'll post a trip report about the adventure - as I'm new to the DISboard, is there a particular place to put the trip report or do I just add it to this thread?
There is a Trip reports board to put your trip report. I would also love to read it when you complete it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter