Dopey challenge and park time?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
For those of you who've run the Dopey Challenge before, how much (if any) park time did you have that week? DH is running his first Dopey Challenge in January, and neither of us have any idea what to expect as far as park time is concerned. We've been to WDW many, many times and we're perfectly OK with devoting the entire trip to ONLY the runs, if that's the best thing. And since I'm just spectating, I'm comfortable with going to the parks for a few hours by myself and letting him rest. But maybe if he just stays in the room, he'll stiffen up. He did mention some hot tub time might be good for his muscles. And once the runs are all done, I'd expect on Monday he'd want to go out to show off his bling! Can anyone here give us some idea of what to expect as far as the balance of running/park time is concerned? Thanks.

I went to the parks several hours each day during Dopey this year. Staying at BW made it easy to walk to Epcot or DHS to ride some rides or get something to eat. Walking around is good recovery from the races as long as you don't overdo it.

We spent 8 days at OKW for this years Dopey. My son and I were running it, my wife did the 10K and my daughter did the 10k and full. We only spent 4 days in the parks and didn't have any park time Saturday or Sunday we did walk around DTD after the half though to keep from stiffening up.

For those of you who've run the Dopey Challenge before, how much (if any) park time did you have that week? DH is running his first Dopey Challenge in January, and neither of us have any idea what to expect as far as park time is concerned. We've been to WDW many, many times and we're perfectly OK with devoting the entire trip to ONLY the runs, if that's the best thing. And since I'm just spectating, I'm comfortable with going to the parks for a few hours by myself and letting him rest. But maybe if he just stays in the room, he'll stiffen up. He did mention some hot tub time might be good for his muscles. And once the runs are all done, I'd expect on Monday he'd want to go out to show off his bling! Can anyone here give us some idea of what to expect as far as the balance of running/park time is concerned? Thanks.

Have done Dopey twice and participated in full park time everyday (between 6-7 hours). I just cut out early around 5:30pm everyday to head to bed. Just be conscious of drinking lots of water/snacking and taking it easy while there (lay on poles, sit when possible, etc.). Something that might help is to simulate not fully resting during his "Dopey simulation weeks" by going shopping/yard work after the training runs. Help builds the mindset you can do parks and running while at Disney. Oh, and he should TOTALLY show off his bling everyday! Thursday is 5K bling, then Friday is 10K bling, etc... :)

I can't speak for Dopey, but getting in some walking really is good. And wearing medals is superfun.

Be sure he has *at least* two pairs of really good shoes. Preferably more; 2 to switch back and forth between for the runs, and then another for the parks. IMO.

Some of this is going to be dependant on your husband and his general fitness level and what his goals are for dopey. I personally like getting out and walking around after a run to loosen up my legs. On Thursday and Friday he may want some time in the park just to help with jitters and Friday and Saturday he might the time walking around to just shake his legs out.

Thanks for the tips. Jitters and loosening the legs are both especially good tips.

We've gone to a park on Thursday each year for the first two Dopey Challenges and then spent Friday and Saturday hanging out in Downtown Disney/Disney Springs (I don't know what to call it anymore). I think staying up and active for most of the day following the 5K, 10K and Half is preferable to shutting it down, but each person will know their own body and what will get them through the four days best. Because of the early wake up calls sleep is at a premium. I prefer to stay awake the whole day to make going to sleep at ~ 8PM a little easier, but that's another personal preference issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter