double or single stroller?

Our 8 year old loves riding at WDW when she gets tired. It’s just part of the routine, I guess? My five year old mostly walks, but at the end of the day or if we need to get somewhere quickly it’s just easier. Sometimes he complains and I always tell him I wish some would push me!

My kids will by 6,4,2 when we go next but last time we went we had a newborn, 2, 4. We did two strollers then a lot of the time but we had three for big days. We noticed on the days we only had two that we often ended up carrying the baby and the two older ones were in the strollers just because we could get places so much faster and easier. I own a double stroller that's amazing, its a sit and stand, but taking it to disney would be a pain lol.

My kids are 18 mos apart and I used a double until the youngest outgrew as it was just easier. If I was pushing a stroller anyway I wanted a place for the older dd to sit if she was tired. It came in very handy for parades and fireworks as well.

When I took my 7 year old son to Disney World many years ago I would never have thought for a nanosecond to put him in a stroller. Goodness no.

I will never look down on a child who still wants a stroller ride at WDW as I am so grateful to use a power wheelchair.

The first time I took my now DH to WDW about a decade ago he was surprised to see a 4 year old in a stroller. He’d never taken a child younger than 12 so he did not get it. He does now.

I love our City Mini GT Double. I use it around our local park, Silver Dollar City, and I wouldn’t go without it. The crowds aren’t as crazy at SDC but what it lacks in crowds, it makes up for in steep hills. :)

I’m planning on using our double on our upcoming trip. I like the flexibility of pushing two at a time. Plus, I don’t think it’s THAT much wider than a single. And the convenience of mentioned by previous posts are all true - less arguing about who rides, easy for naps, and nice for storage.

Good luck deciding!!

I too am trying to decide.. I’m torn between whether it’s worth the hassle in crowds or wait and see how they do the first day if needed rent one there.. or online from a stroller rental company. (4 and 6 year old autistic little guy)
I’m just worried about the crowds . Obviously much easier without strollers

I will never look down on a child who still wants a stroller ride at WDW as I am so grateful to use a power wheelchair.

The first time I took my now DH to WDW about a decade ago he was surprised to see a 4 year old in a stroller. He’d never taken a child younger than 12 so he did not get it. He does now.
With all due respect I doubt anyone looks down on a child for using a stroller; they are not making the decision to use them. I don't look down on parents who choose one but do mentally question what life lessons they are really passing on. My mother began using an ECV in her '90's mostly because she didn't keep up with the physical therapy her docs recommended. It was an expensive lesson for her as she liked her freedom.

Once our youngest got to 4 I adored no longer having to bring a stroller ANYWHERE! IMO once they are 4 they walk - no stroller, nappy bag etc - happiest trips of our family.

“ what life lessons they are passing on“
I don’t even know where to start with this one..but it has clearly triggered me so I apologize in advance.
My 6 year old looks like an average 6 year old but he is autistic. You’d never guess in a million years he’s not a typical child when you glanced at him and wonder what life lessons in teaching him. He doesn’t have the coordination of a typical 6 year old and also easily wanders away not understanding stranger danger etc..
His five year old little brother is a typical high energy 5 year old who probably could walk and keep up , but in choosing to get a double so there’s no difference between the boys.. so when people such as yourself give them the look questioning the life lessons on teaching my 6 year old doesn’t feel as stigmatized.
I also am a single mom to 4.. I’m busting my a”& working two jobs to afford them such luxuries as Disney and travel sports so when I want to take one child to the bathroom the older siblings 14,17 can watch the littles easier.
So I guess my response to you is when you are questioning what life lessons the parents are teaching their children to allow them to sit on a stroller past the age you feel is appropriate perhaps you should realize you can’t understand the whole picture with a quick glance .
Iam teaching my children compassion for their 6 year old sibling, iam teaching them to work as a team when mom gets busy with one child , iam teaching them by taking them to Disney as a single mom hard work pays off, iam teaching them to be non judgemental and inclusion .
I would more than happily invite you to spend the day with myself and my four amazing kiddos and to learn the life lessons iam teaching them

With all due respect I doubt anyone looks down on a child for using a stroller; they are not making the decision to use them. I don't look down on parents who choose one but do mentally question what life lessons they are really passing on. My mother began using an ECV in her '90's mostly because she didn't keep up with the physical therapy her docs recommended. It was an expensive lesson for her as she liked her freedom.

“ what life lessons they are passing on“
I don’t even know where to start with this one..but it has clearly triggered me so I apologize in advance.
My 6 year old looks like an average 6 year old but he is autistic. You’d never guess in a million years he’s not a typical child when you glanced at him and wonder what life lessons in teaching him. He doesn’t have the coordination of a typical 6 year old and also easily wanders away not understanding stranger danger etc..
His five year old little brother is a typical high energy 5 year old who probably could walk and keep up , but in choosing to get a double so there’s no difference between the boys.. so when people such as yourself give them the look questioning the life lessons on teaching my 6 year old doesn’t feel as stigmatized.
I also am a single mom to 4.. I’m busting my a”& working two jobs to afford them such luxuries as Disney and travel sports so when I want to take one child to the bathroom the older siblings 14,17 can watch the littles easier.
So I guess my response to you is when you are questioning what life lessons the parents are teaching their children to allow them to sit on a stroller past the age you feel is appropriate perhaps you should realize you can’t understand the whole picture with a quick glance .
Iam teaching my children compassion for their 6 year old sibling, iam teaching them to work as a team when mom gets busy with one child , iam teaching them by taking them to Disney as a single mom hard work pays off, iam teaching them to be non judgemental and inclusion .
I would more than happily invite you to spend the day with myself and my four amazing kiddos and to learn the life lessons iam teaching them

Let me clarify what I wrote: I wasn't talking about anyone, no matter their age, with physical or mental limitations/disabilities. Thought that was clear when I quoted arminnie. My societal concerns regard the future since I've less of that than past.

To my way of thinking people who chose to push over-aged fit children around in strollers are doing their offspring a disservice by not allowing them to view new surroundings at their own pace. As well they are telling them indirectly and probably unconsciously that they haven't the physical capacity to use their bodies as they were meant to be used thus enabling them to bypass other hurdles later on in life. Or as the Fixx said "...one thing leads to another...".

It's fairly recent that strollers are now made to fit children over the age of 3 or 4. That lack was a disservice to children such as your youngest with a specific and credible need and I'm glad there are other options available to you and others. It doesn't change the reality those wheels are now being over used by others with their own misguided IMO agendas and expectations.

Not sure how being a single mother enters into this discussion besides being part of the reality that it costs a nice bit of change to visit Disney. Costs a lot for single parents as well as those who remain in a committed relationship. That being said I have the old and tattered BTDT t shirt stored away and also enjoy being catered to on Mothers' and Fathers' Days minus the tie.

Thank you for the offer to help me view a different lifestyle and the integration of your family as a whole. I'm familiar with the idea of walking in another's shoes and been trying to do that my whole life yet am always open to new experiences.

I don't say anything derogatory to parents "strollering" large and fit children throughout Disney which is the only place I've noted this phenomena. Doesn't stop me from smh mentally. It's strange that I don't see this behavior at shopping centers/malls where quite a bit of walking is done as well but maybe there's something in the water in Orlando, LOL.

Last edited:
Why the single mom/parent came into this ..

As a single mom who occasionally needs to use facilities as well having the littles in a stroller makes it safer for the big kids to watch their siblings.
That’s another reason why I choose to put the children in a stroller . I dont have another adult to help supervise

Thank you for your understanding I just wanted you to be aware you can’t tell the limitations just by quickly glancing

Let me clarify what I wrote: I wasn't talking about anyone, no matter their age, with physical or mental limitations/disabilities. Thought that was clear when I quoted arminnie. My societal concerns regard the future since I've less of that than past.

To my way of thinking people who chose to push over-aged fit children around in strollers are doing their offspring a disservice by not allowing them to view new surroundings at their own pace. As well they are telling them indirectly and probably unconsciously that they haven't the physical capacity to use their bodies as they were meant to be used thus enabling them to bypass other hurdles later on in life. Or as the Fixx said "...one thing leads to another...".

It's fairly recent that strollers are now made to fit children over the age of 3 or 4. That lack was a disservice to children such as your youngest with a specific and credible need and I'm glad there are other options available to you and others. It doesn't change the reality those wheels are now being over used by others with their own misguided IMO agendas and expectations.

Not sure how being a single mother enters into this discussion besides being part of the reality that it costs a nice bit of change to visit Disney. Costs a lot for single parents as well as those who remain in a committed relationship. That being said I have the old and tattered BTDT t shirt stored away and also enjoy being catered to on Mothers' and Fathers' Days minus the tie.

Thank you for the offer to help me view a different lifestyle and the integration of your family as a whole. I'm familiar with the idea of walking in another's shoes and been trying to do that my whole life yet am always open to new experiences.

I don't say anything derogatory to parents "strollering" large and fit children throughout Disney which is the only place I've noted this phenomena. Doesn't stop me from smh mentally. It's strange that I don't see this behavior at shopping centers/malls where quite a bit of walking is done as well but maybe there's something in the water in Orlando, LOL.

Most people aren’t walking 10-12 miles a day for 5-10 days 7am-10pm at a mall like they do at disney world.

Last edited:
Why the single mom/parent came into this ..

As a single mom who occasionally needs to use facilities as well having the littles in a stroller makes it safer for the big kids to watch their siblings.
That’s another reason why I choose to put the children in a stroller . I dont have another adult to help supervise

Thank you for your understanding I just wanted you to be aware you can’t tell the limitations just by quickly glancing
Now THAT makes sense so two points for you in this discussion in a logical and secure environment kind of way;):).

Most people aren’t walking 10-12 miles a day for 5-10 days 7am-10pm at a mall like they do at disney world.
I can't speak for the rest of the population but I know how to shop til I drop and wuv the fact that traditional department stores have neither windows or clocks, LOL.
We all Disney the way we want to but rope dropping until an hour or two before midnight is not my idea of family fun w/ little ones. That's caretakers reliving their teenage and early 20's experiences or fantasies.

The average American now walks a little less than 5 miles a day which is far down from just 20-30 years back. We frequently have the weight and joint problems to prove it which is disproportionate to much of the rest of the 1st world's population.

We really need to do better for these next generations as well as selves so we all will enjoy a better quality of life.

You share the stroller with your kiddos?!
How 21st century is that! Do you all wear matching long john pjs and hats too? :lmao:;).
You share the stroller with your kiddos?!
How 21st century is that! Do you all wear matching long john pjs and hats too? :lmao:;).

No we don’t wear matching clothes and even if we did why do you care? Maybe consider how you can be more kind to others and less about what people wear or how they raise their kids, ok?

No we don’t wear matching clothes and even if we did why do you care? Maybe consider how you can be more kind to others and less about what people wear or how they raise their kids, ok?
Sheesh...I wouldn't take life quite that seriously.
There I was joking and you felt I wanted to hurt your feelings.

That is too sad:(.

Some people might shake their head at my being in my power chair. I look very fit. I can cross my legs. I can move my legs.

As part of my daily PT exercises I lift each leg while sitting and hold it. If I hold on to something I can stand for a minute or two. I can walk with a walker - but only about 15 yards max.

But what I absolutely unconditionally cannot do is walk unassisted - not even a step. Certain nerves do not work and all the PT in the world cannot change that. I get so tired of people telling me to work more on the PT. PT allows me to still be able to get out of a chair (if it’s not too low) but it cannot make dead nerves come back to life.

Kids are 2 and 5 and I wouldn't even take them into the parks without a stroller. Ours converts from a single to a double tandem in case the little stays back in the room. We love it. Its like a room on wheels for the kids. They eat, stay out of the sun, take breaks, play with toys, sleep, and just stay out of other people's way when in the stroller.

Screen%20Shot%202019-03-25%20at%204.14.55%20PM.png

Kids are 2 and 5 and I wouldn't even take them into the parks without a stroller. Ours converts from a single to a double tandem in case the little stays back in the room. We love it. Its like a room on wheels for the kids. They eat, stay out of the sun, take breaks, play with toys, sleep, and just stay out of other people's way when in the stroller.

Screen%20Shot%202019-03-25%20at%204.14.55%20PM.png
Cute dress!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter