Downstairs at Lamplight Lounge - inside or outside? And why?

UnpokemonMom

Mouseketeer
Have lunch reservations for Lamplight Lounge. Am torn between requesting inside or outside:

Inside Pros: All the Pixar decorations and knickknacks
Inside Cons: Too warm?

Outside Pros: View. Cooler?
Outside Cons: Gnats?

Anything else? If you're had the chance to go, which would you request, and why? TIA!

Our first visit to Lamplight Lounge is coming up, too. We'd love to sit outside and enjoy the views but I'm thinking we'll need some time indoors to cool off but I guess we'll see what the weather is like as we get closer. We live in a hot climate so we're used to the heat (but still hate it)- it's the humidity we want to escape.

Are there lots of gnats there? I hadn't noticed that before.

In June when I ate downstairs, it was perfect weather. 75 and sunny, light breeze. So eating on the outside portion was amazing. And I am not a fan of eating outside. No gnats.

However, I’m on a AP Facebook group and someone who ate at Lamplight last weekend when it was crazy hot said the water made it muggy and there were gnats.

So the outdoor experience may be dependent on weather. Maybe you can call and ask to see if the indoor portion has AC? Just in case it’s hot when you go.

I prefer downstairs, inside. The downstairs portion has much more personality, it also serves a wider menu than upstairs. I like to be inside for air conditioning and avoiding the sun.

I prefer downstairs, inside. The downstairs portion has much more personality, it also serves a wider menu than upstairs. I like to be inside for air conditioning and avoiding the sun.

Can you tell me more about how the menu is different downstairs?

Had reservations on Tuesday at 6pm. Requested inside. Got outside in direct sun. No thank you - tried to tell us it was because we were a walk-in... nope. Found us a different table outside. It was couches at a coffee table - started in the shade but was mostly in the sun by the time we finished eating. Totally uncomfortable to eat dinner at and our server was completely MIA. Kids' menu says sliders. DD got ONE slider and raw veggies (she can't eat them with braces). We questioned the server. He said he'd check on it but that was correct. He never responded or came back with more food for her.

They said there's only a few tables inside, it's their second week open, etc etc etc. It was bad. So good luck requesting an inside table. We asked and were refused. Honestly it wasn't worth it. I'd just cancel the reservation unless you're willing to risk sun & couches.

Had reservations on Tuesday at 6pm. Requested inside. Got outside in direct sun. No thank you - tried to tell us it was because we were a walk-in... nope. Found us a different table outside. It was couches at a coffee table - started in the shade but was mostly in the sun by the time we finished eating. Totally uncomfortable to eat dinner at and our server was completely MIA. Kids' menu says sliders. DD got ONE slider and raw veggies (she can't eat them with braces). We questioned the server. He said he'd check on it but that was correct. He never responded or came back with more food for her.

They said there's only a few tables inside, it's their second week open, etc etc etc. It was bad. So good luck requesting an inside table. We asked and were refused. Honestly it wasn't worth it. I'd just cancel the reservation unless you're willing to risk sun & couches.

We were there this past Tuesday also! Our experience was similar. We had reservations at 11:10 (restaurant opened at 11), so it was empty inside. They went to seat us outside. We then requested to sit inside and were told that inside seating was only for reservations. I explained that we did have a reservation. Stood with our family of 5 for another 15 minutes while they found us a table. Odd because there was only one party of 2 seated in the otherwise empty restaurant. They finally seat us at a table made for 4 (very squishy for 4 adults and 1 junior). Our waiter came to take our order then never came back. We sat for an hour before we were served our food. We were brought other customer's food orders 2 times. When our food came out, it was cold. Kid's slider was 1 slider. Kid's chicken was 3 1 inch by 3 inch slices of chicken with 7 carrot and celery slices and 6 chunks of fruit. Potato skins were ice cold. Awful service and the food was not worth it. The restaurant itself is gorgeous. If I really wanted to see inside, I would forgo the meal and just order drinks and an appetizer or dessert to share, then eat somewhere else.

We were there this past Tuesday also! Our experience was similar. We had reservations at 11:10 (restaurant opened at 11), so it was empty inside. They went to seat us outside. We then requested to sit inside and were told that inside seating was only for reservations. I explained that we did have a reservation. Stood with our family of 5 for another 15 minutes while they found us a table. Odd because there was only one party of 2 seated in the otherwise empty restaurant. They finally seat us at a table made for 4 (very squishy for 4 adults and 1 junior). Our waiter came to take our order then never came back. We sat for an hour before we were served our food. We were brought other customer's food orders 2 times. When our food came out, it was cold. Kid's slider was 1 slider. Kid's chicken was 3 1 inch by 3 inch slices of chicken with 7 carrot and celery slices and 6 chunks of fruit. Potato skins were ice cold. Awful service and the food was not worth it. The restaurant itself is gorgeous. If I really wanted to see inside, I would forgo the meal and just order drinks and an appetizer or dessert to share, then eat somewhere else.

I'm sorry for both of your experiences. That's so disappointing.

4607E966-E705-41B2-8ADF-D0B9530D59EA.jpeg
Upstairs will only serve the “bites” (top) section of the menu. Downstairs will serve the whole thing. I do not know how this applies to the kids menu, or the doughnuts. I have only eaten downstairs.

The menu
Below says slider. Hahahah! That’s ridiculous. This restaurant is a joke. At most I’ll go for a drink. But I’m not even a big drinker. (Eye roll)

I can’t believe the restaurant is so disorganized. Are they unable to staff it with people that have worked a restaurant before?! Where did the Ariel’s employees do? Move them back!

When our server asked us inside or outside we just stared at her saying ‘um’. It was hard to decide! We ended up taking inside and I’m glad we did. The seating is more limited there so I figure when I eat there again in the future I can do the outside part easily. The food is incredible by the way.

For those who had negative experiences at this location, send in your comments to Disney! Use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the DLR webpage. Be specific and detailed, especially clear about what went wrong and how it could have been better. Constructive feedback is very helpful for Disney management, and they take it seriously.
For those who had positive experiences, send in your comments! Disney needs to hear about things that go right and what made it a good experience for you. It really does help management to know what they're doing right so they can keep doing it.

We had the same experience: reservations for downstairs and they sat us along the railing in the direct sun. It was a lovely view of Paradise Bay but we would have melted. We were moved to the railing where we had a view of the Incredicoaster, which was fun to watch. During the course of our time there, they tried to sit two other parties in the same original spot, and they both asked to be moved. Also saw a family with young children sitting at the couches, and it looked awkward for eating. Seems better suited for a group having drinks and appies, rather than a full entree. On a positive note, we enjoyed the food. But, we found it pricey for what it was. We would go back but probably stay upstairs - we’d be happy with the “little bites” and drinks.

For those who had negative experiences at this location, send in your comments to Disney! Use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the DLR webpage. Be specific and detailed, especially clear about what went wrong and how it could have been better. Constructive feedback is very helpful for Disney management, and they take it seriously.
For those who had positive experiences, send in your comments! Disney needs to hear about things that go right and what made it a good experience for you. It really does help management to know what they're doing right so they can keep doing it.

Great suggestion! I think they’re definitely going through some start-up pains so feedback is important!

I can’t believe the restaurant is so disorganized. Are they unable to staff it with people that have worked a restaurant before?! Where did the Ariel’s employees do? Move them back!
I have a feeling they are still working out kinks. My first visit with a reservation was on opening day. I feel like that was the most unorganized day. Yes my friend and I got seated pretty quickly, but there was poor line control on where to check in. They made up for it with good service while we ate. They were constantly checking on us, and refilled any drinks we wanted. They also were nice about letting us take photos in the downstairs section since it's so unique looking.

The second time I went was by myself and I sat upstairs. They separated the lines from down and up, and had a CM reminding everyone which line was for what floor. They did still get confused about trying to seat reservations and walk ins.

Wow. Reviews for this place are way too variable across the board for me right now- and that person that mentioned GNATS?! I don’t recall ever having a gnat prob at Disneyland, yikes. I’m definitely skipping this one for now.

Done, for both Lamplight & Storytellers. I did mention that while the decor was new, I'm pretty sure the sun set in the same location when it was Ariel's/the Cove and putting us at a table that was in the shade for 20 min...then sun, was probably something they should have known, regardless of new paint & wallpaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts