Downward trend in runDisney?

As long as there are new suckers--I mean, runners--willing to fork out the bucks to run at Disney, RD will not care about cookie-cutter courses.

I'd say the potential suckers are us return runners, not the runners who go down for a one and done race to experience Disney. A lot of this may come down to what RunDisney feels their core demographic is. Are they generating the most revenue from loyal returning runners for whom a variety of courses is a selling point or is it the one time visitor that is not going to care where the course runs as long as it's at Disney? Every year around W&D and SWDS/SWRR time, I see posts about the courses complaining that they don't run through the castle. Experienced rD runners may enjoy the variety that has been on offer while newer runners may be disappointed that their once in a lifetime race isn't "Disney" iconic enough. I'd love to know what feedback they're getting and how much it's skewed one way or another.

As someone whom has run an rD event every trip we’ve taken to FL, I’m beginning to shy away from rD events. I’ve researched races that I will probably run if I’m downduring the dates, which include:

- Run Clearwater, http://www.millenniumrunning.com/clearwater
- Celebration Marathon & Half Marathon
- Gasparilla, http://gasparillapiratefest.com/

I’m very eager to see Universal offer some running events. It seems their inaugural 5K in Hollywood is doing okay (they’ve opened a 2nd date). But rD events have become too cookie cutter and too expensive for what you pay for IMO.

As someone whom has run an rD event every trip we’ve taken to FL, I’m beginning to shy away from rD events. I’ve researched races that I will probably run if I’m downduring the dates, which include:

- Run Clearwater, http://www.millenniumrunning.com/clearwater
- Celebration Marathon & Half Marathon
- Gasparilla, http://gasparillapiratefest.com/

I’m very eager to see Universal offer some running events. It seems their inaugural 5K in Hollywood is doing okay (they’ve opened a 2nd date). But rD events have become too cookie cutter and too expensive for what you pay for IMO.

I just did Gasparilla as a part of a training weekend trip, and specifically decided not to run Princess, even though I stayed in LBV. I thought it was a pretty good race and certainly better post-race food.

Gasparilla was my first road race and has my ❤️ Pondering making this year my first half or doing the 15k/8k Challenge again

Also I see Sea World Orlando has a Race May 11th

Figured I'd dig this thread back up. Anyone know how fast the 5 and 10k sold out this year, and how that compares to last year.

Figured I'd dig this thread back up. Anyone know how fast the 5 and 10k sold out this year, and how that compares to last year.
I don’t remember specifics but I do think the 5K and 10K sold out fairly quickly. Not sure it was day of but it wasn’t long.

I don’t remember specifics but I do think the 5K and 10K sold out fairly quickly. Not sure it was day of but it wasn’t long.
in 2018 the 5K sold out the day of [7/19] but not as quick as this year and the 10K made it in to the following day [7/20]. I think the late registration date probably had a small impact on the numbers and speed of selling out and folks not wanting to wait and just bailing ahead of time. But who knows?

My friend tried to register for the 5k and he said he got past the spinning wheel of death between 10:20 and 10:25 and it was sold out.

Someone I know said the 5K was gone within 30-45 mins. 10K was later in the day, but still the day registration opened.

Memory says they opened up more 5k bibs later as I registered for the 5k well after they revealed the medal design.

Memory says they opened up more 5k bibs later as I registered for the 5k well after they revealed the medal design.
Yes, the 5k last year kept re-opening as we got closer. I think a couple times it did and sold out every time. Probably from breaking up Dopey bibs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts