Dream class vs classic ships... what is different?

isabellea

Combining beach and Disney!
Our first cruise was on the Wonder in March 2016. I just booked the Fantasy for August 2020 (Aug 15-22 7 nights Western cruise) and I was wondering was will be different other than size and Aquaduck?

What are your must-dos on the Dream class that we shouldn't miss?

• about 2,000 more guests on the Dream Class, and it seems like there are fewer crew per passenger as well.
  • The staterooms on the Classic Ships are generally larger ... and it is amazing how much of a difference 8 to 10 inches here and there makes - it goes a long way
  • Bathroom layout on the Classics are better / more shelves
  • Less "dresser" space on the Dream Class (DC)
  • "Magic Portholes" on the DC vs Classic
  • "Magic" Artwork (pictures move - think Hogwarts) on the DC which then leads to Mickey's Mid Ship Detective Agency (I enjoy this activity - but then again, so do all of the kids onboard)
  • For Adults - there's Satellite Falls on the DC - deck 13 forward ... You're Welcome!
  • Again for Adults: the main Bar/Nightclub with the late night shows / activities - come early or you won't be able to see very well - large room, not enough "tiers"
  • If you're into the Rainforest room - on the DC you can see outside from inside
  • Goofy Mini Golf up on the pool deck (free)
  • Walt Disney Theater has 2 seating levels on the DC, stick to the main level vs balcony
  • There's Remy's on the DC, if you're into that type of food and additional costs
  • If you enjoy a drink, there's Meridian between Palo and Remy's - quiet bar, inside and outside - great view off of the back of the ship
  • there's a room key card holder on the wall near your stateroom door, put your card in the holder and voila' ELECTRICITY!!

Dream Class ships have:
  • Bigger swimming pools (still not very big)
  • 2 family pools instead of just one
  • Bigger hot tubs (although the Fantasy now has no family pool deck hot tub)
  • Hot tubs with an ocean view in the Rainforest Room
  • Midship Detective Agency
  • Virtual sports & virtual golf
  • Miniature golf
  • Aqua Duck
  • Remy
  • Specialty sweet shop
  • On-demand Disney programming in staterooms (Magic now has this, too, but not Wonder)
  • Inside cabins have virtual portholes
  • Magical art
I find the food and service to be equal between the two classes of DCL ships.

You really cannot go wrong on either one. And don’t let the older age of Magic and Wonder get you worried. Disney really keeps the ships updated and looking spotless. They are very different than some other cruises where if you cruise a 20-year-old ship it’s going to be a dump. We sailed the Dream first and then sailed the Magic later and were still very happy despite it being an older and smaller ship. And in fact my husband liked it better.

• Again for Adults: the main Bar/Nightclub with the late night shows / activities - come early or you won't be able to see very well - large room, not enough "tiers"
I completely agree. The positioning of the bar in the middle of the room doesn't help matters either. Much prefer the design of Fathoms/Azure over Evolution/The Tube.

Bigger swimming pools (still not very big)

I find this debatable in regards to the adult pool - I find the classics have more "swimming space" if that makes sense, compared to the circular design plus shallow bar area on the Dream class.

I really like the large atrium on the Dream class ships. Dream class also seems to have more/larger elevators.

The biggest difference to me is Satellite Falls on the newer ships. Also, the adult pool bar is something we enjoy a lot, also on the newer ships.

Is there a charge for this?
** cough ---- cough **

This IS Disney we are talking about, so Yep!! :smooth:

Spa services carry an additional charge. I don't know what the current daily or length of cruise costs are ... someone else can chime in on that $$$

And there is a gratuity added on top of the fee. And just what "service" are you receiving to use the Rain Forest room exactly :confused3 Well I guess it's clean. No one is there giving you a massage or some other treatment. You are on your own to relax in semi solitude.

However on the DCL ships you can use the gym and sauna free of charge (at least the last time I sailed this was the case) even though these are technically IN the spa area. But NOTE: Some classes offered at / through the gym do carry a charge. These were noted in the old fashioned paper navigators.

Is there a charge for this?
A one-day pass in the rainforest room is about $20 including tax and tip. Because it's cheap to begin with, the tip is a negligable couple of dollars. The spa worker takes you into the rainforest room, shows you around & sets you up with a locker, towel & slippers. That's about right for a $2-3 tip.

I'd hate to imagine how crowded the rainforest room would be if it were free, so I'm glad it isn't.

Last edited:
A one-day pass in the rainforest room is about $20 including tax and tip. Because it's cheap to begin with, the tip is a negligable couple of dollars. The spa worker takes you into the rainforest room, shows you around & sets you up with a locker, towel & slippers. That's about right for a $2-3 tip.

I'd hate to imagine how crowded the rainforest room would be if it were free, so I'm glad it isn't.

Is it crowded?

i was supposed to tip the lady who sold us the pass and brought us back to the locker room!?! Whoops. I thought she was working on commission. :guilty:

Our last cruise was on the Fantasy. First time on a DC ship. We had a 7th deck aft stateroom. What we noticed most was when we went to anything in forward part of the ship and we got there by staying on the 7th deck, the hallway just kept going and going and going!

i was supposed to tip the lady who sold us the pass and brought us back to the locker room!?! Whoops. I thought she was working on commission. :guilty:

Pretty sure it includes the gratuity when you purchase on board or in advance. It's a "spa service".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter