Driving from Palm Springs to DL for the day?

K

kellymouse

I have a friend that will be going to Palm Springs in a few weeks and would like to drive down to DL for just the day. She is not from California, so she is not familiar with the area at all, and lets just say she is not the best with directions and getting around. She wants to go very early on a weekday and leave DL before dark, maybe around 5 or 6ish. Is she going to get into heavy traffic, and is this a pretty easy trip or not? Also, do you think its safe for a single woman going alone?
Thanks!

Sounds like she's a glutton for punishment. It would take at least 2 hours (probably more because of traffic) to get to DL from Palm Springs and leaving around 5 or 6, well, if it's a weekday, she's going to get into the worst of the traffic. She's going to spend probably as much time driving as she spends in the park at that rate. It's perfectly safe to go to DL alone as a single woman. I do it all the time.

Well, I guess she doesn't need to really leave around 5 or 6, she could probably stay till 6:30.
How is the drive without traffic though?

6:30 won't make much (if any) of a difference in the traffic. As far as how the drive is sans traffic, I wouldn't actually know. It's been a long time since I've been to Palm Springs, but it's way out there in the desert, and that's where the at least 2 hours part comes. Even if she were to make the drive w/o any traffic, it's at least 2 hours. BTW, peak traffic hours aren't 5-6 here in S CA, they're from 3-7 or 8 on a weekday. And she'll be in stop & go traffic for much of the drive.

My guess is that she would spend between 5 and 6 hours in the car travelling to and from Anaheim. After a full day in the parks, would she be up to a long drive through the dark desert?

I know the area and freeways well, and I would not do it.

How sad! I know she was really looking forward to going, but if you guys don't think it's a good idea, I will let her know. She said that her hotel told her it was 90 minutes away, but I guess that wasn't factoring in all of the traffic! Yikes! :eek:

in no traffic, it should take under 2 hrs. hop on the 91 then the 5...I would say maybe 1.5 hrs to 1.75hrs. Now, leaving DL anytime between 4 and 7, I wouldn't recommend. Traffic on the 91 during the week is painful (my commute) unless you are on the road before 6 or after 9...She will be travelling WITH traffic, not against.

If she is so motivated, though, I'm sure it wouldn't stop her! LOL If she left Palm Springs at 8am, she should get to DL by 10. Same in the evening, or maybe she'd want to leave at 7pm. Entirely doable, again, if you are so motivated and/or used to driving distances...

Another idea would be to drive in the evening before and stay one of the many hotels around DL. This would help a little with the traffic as most of it is going the other way that time of night. Then get up, play at the parks and go back in the evening. Or the other way around...drive in in the morning and then stay the night and go back early the next morning, again she would be on the lighter traffic side of the freeway, which is a little help, but still can be slow going.

I would avoid the 91 as much as possible. That freeway is packed and has snarls every day. The 60 and the 10 are slightly better and the 210 is very quick, but a ways out of the way. You also dont have to go all the way to the 5 you can get off on the 57 going south. This wont make much sense until you look at a map, but maybe then it would be helpful.

I guess she could leave early in the morning around 7ish and go back around 7 too. I know she is desperate to go.
She is planning on going the beginning of March, and I was wondering if you know what time the sun goes down around. I know she wouldn't want to be driving in the dark.
Thanks for all of the advice!

Snow Brite said:
You also dont have to go all the way to the 5 you can get off on the 57 going south. This wont make much sense until you look at a map, but maybe then it would be helpful.

OMG Snow Brite, you are right...you would think after all the times I've done that drive that I would give better directions. LOL

anyway, if she is not driving during peak traffic hours, the 55 is marvelous too. I certainly don't recommend the 55 at any time in the morning, though, because it can take HOURS...seriously.

We go 91 to 55 to 22 to 5 to get to DL...

I go 15 to 91 to 57 and exit Ball Rd to get to DL. I live in SW Riv County and it only takes me an hour if there's no traffic. I wouldn't touch the 55 or 22 to get there. seems sort of roundabout to me.

cryssi said:
OMG Snow Brite, you are right...you would think after all the times I've done that drive that I would give better directions. LOL

anyway, if she is not driving during peak traffic hours, the 55 is marvelous too. I certainly don't recommend the 55 at any time in the morning, though, because it can take HOURS...seriously.

We go 91 to 55 to 22 to 5 to get to DL...

I just have to say this MADE MY DAY!

We only got here in August and I was sure I would never figure out the freeways. I feel so cool. :teeth:

I think the best bet to avoid driving in the dark is to leave her hotel at sunrise (check an almanac or weather site) and get to DLR as early as possible and be in the gates at opening. (she may have to wait a bil till opening depending on the time) She will be able to see quite a bit by having the early morning advantage. In my opinon she will need to leave Disneyland by 3pm to avoid the worst of the traffic and to get back to Palm Springs by dark. If she is determined it would probably be worth it to her and it is safe, she just needs to be an early riser.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter