Driving from SF to DL questions please...

cseca

<font color=darkorchid>My legs are wimpy but my wi
OK,
We are thinking of heading to SF for a couple days and then over to DL.
I don't know anything about driving in CA at all. So... could someone help me with some questions?

1. How long does it usually take?
2. Is there a best time to do it to avoid traffic?
3. Are there any good stopping place? We'll have our 1.5yr old with us.
4. Would you recommend it at all or does flying work better?

TY so much!!!!

You can drive straight down the 5 in around 6 hours w/o speeding a lot - kind of boring but in my opinion it's only a little worse than flying these days because of all the extra time required ( getting to the airport early, picking up a new rental car, etc - can easily come up to 4 hours for a 1 hr flight, esp with a toddler!)

The coast route is gorgeous and I'd recommend that if you have the time - more around 10 hours but lots of ocean views and nice places to stop.

Just avoid rush hour in the cities - most of the drive won't have that much traffic. With a 1.5 year old you may want to drive late at night if you take the 5 so the baby will sleep for a good chunk of the time.

The 5 has your typical fast food places - including an In-n-Out burger (long waits sometimes though).

I agree w/driving I-5. Just know that sometimes, for inexplicable reasons, your 5-6 hr trip can turn into 8-10 hrs. I mean, sometimes it's obvious...weather, rush hour, etc. But some days there just seems to be a time vortex haha.

Thank you so much!
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about the 5-6hr stretching into 10hr... hehe...
But I guess that's something out of our hands mostly.
Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter