driving on property

betterlatethannever

DIS Veteran
I know its been discussed many times and I was going to add it to one of those threads but I couldn't find them and my subscribed thread feature is not working.

Now I will prefface this by saying I can get lost pretty easily. But this time I paid attention because I couldn't believe it was all me. LOL. None of these were a vacation spoiler, just observations and excuses to my DW on why it happened LOL.

We were at WDW this past weekend and stayed at the CR. Leaving the CR to go to Epcot, I made the left hand turn onto the road in front of the CR (Floridian Way? on the map). Came up to the intersection with Seven Seas Drive and Timberlane Drive. I read the signs closely.

I4 and 192 turn right.
Wilderness Lodge turn left
Wilderness campgrounds straight ahead
Wedding Pavilion?? turn right

OK what do I do? When in doubt go straight. Right. Wrong.

They should have a sign saying something to the effect of ALL OTHER AREAS TURN RIGHT. There is a sign like that when leaving the Wilderness Lodge. (in the WL case is says all other areas straight ahead.) (See honey, not my fault)

Item 2

From the airport to WDW, took the south exit onto 417. Since we were staying at the CR, took exit 3 off of 417 onto Osceola parkway. So far so good. Saw huge overhead signs saying MK straight ahead all three lanes. feeling very good. Get through the Victory Way intersection. No more overhead signs saying MK.

OK start to worry. See a sign on the right saying (among other things) Magic Kingdom straight ahead. OK feel better. Get through the next intersection and no more mention of MK!!! We missed our turn??!!

So I went back (later) and retraced our steps. As we passed Victory Way, there is a sign on the right saying (among other things)Magic Kingdom straight ahead. About 100 feet later there is another sign on the right saying (among other things) Magic Kingdom turn right.

Now, mind you there is no intersection, exit, entrance, driveway, or crosswalk between these two signs, so when I saw the first sign I assumed (you know what that means :D) that I was OK at least through the next intersection.

It is hard enough to read all the places to go straight or turn right for (MK is near the bottom on both signs), but why tell me to go straight (to MK) when I couldn't do anything else anyway. (See honey, again not my fault)

Didn't intend this to be a venting. Just wanted to show how easily anybody (somebody? me) can get confused driving around WDW and how (maybe) it isn't all my fault.

Other screwups I may post of other boards (e.g. PS times getting messed up) once I come up with some good reasons to blame WDW.:D

Ed

Originally posted by betterlatethannever
OK what do I do? When in doubt go straight. Right. Wrong.

Well, technically... you can get to Epcot by going straight. You'll go straight, and then the road jughandles into Vista Blvd. Go down Vista, you'll pass Ft Wilderness, and then come to a traffic light. Turn right onto Bonnett Creek, and then at the first traffic light, another right onto Epcot Center Drive... and voila... you'll be at Epcot.

So, you were just taking the scenic route by Fort Wilderness and Port Orleans. That's all!

Ed, I agree with you that sometimes the signage immediately around the entrance/exit of several (many? all?) resorts can be less than helpful. You almost have to know from experience (or closely watching the bus drivers) where to turn. On our first trip to WL, I ended up doing a lot of driving around and backtracking because when I exited the resort area, I could see MK, but didn't know for sure where to go or turn.

However, once I am out on the main roads around Disney, I've not had many problems. My DW says I have a great internal compass -- I chalk it up to good luck.

I do believe though that WDW should invest in some additional signage to get people onto the main streets that lead to the parks.

Hey, betterlatethannever-thanks for helping justify why DH and I always manage to get very lost at least once when we rent a car at WDW. Last time we got so lost we must have seen that stupid (after that many times it's stupid) sign for the Tower of Terror where the people are falling down in the elevator at least 5 times! I think it took us about 45 minutes to get from AK to WL. And one time it took us, honestly, an hour to get from WL to Epcot. Would have been longer, but finally we drove back to the lodge and asked directions. DH and I both have post-graduate degrees, reasonably smart, and we're so embarrassed that we get so lost there. Thanks for making us feel better-we're not the only ones!

Well, technically... you can get to Epcot by going straight. You'll go straight, and then the road jughandles into Vista Blvd. Go down Vista, you'll pass Ft Wilderness, and then come to a traffic light. Turn right onto Bonnett Creek, and then at the first traffic light, another right onto Epcot Center Drive... and voila... you'll be at Epcot.

Tyler, would there have been signs telling me this?

voila. I would have probably ended up in DisneyLAND.:o

Thanks for making us feel better-we're not the only ones!

You're welcome.

I like getting lost in WDW. I've found some neat shortcuts that way. I've also found some not so short shortcuts.:rolleyes: Also at MCO, I've made some weird shortcuts. I found out if you drive into the wrong garage and are lost inside for less than 6 minutes, there is no charge. In fact I'm now famous in the family for "Dad's Shortcuts".:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter