Driving to florida first two weeks december

cottontail

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if it is still possible to drive down to florida thru new york, pennsylvania, the virginias, etc, crossing the border at lewiston/or niagara falls, I think it is I77/79 to I95 the first two weeks of december.

I know many use I75 in the winter. Just wondering if others have travelled this route in the winter.

Deb.

Yes, that is the route we take when we drive to Florida. We prefer to drive during the day hours. It has snowed and rained all the way for us in December.
I prefer this route to I75. Enjoy your trip!

We have done this route a number of times in Dec.

We just watch the long range weather reports from the US stations, to decide if we take this route or I-75.

The shortcut on US route 19 is now an interstate type road with the only slow down in Summersville -* this is the infamous speed trap town - slow down to posted speed as you enter town. * :(

We have had 12inches of snow in Pennsyvania the day before we left and the roads were clear the next day, and we have had the roads closed with snow on I-75 south of Atlanta, so you never can be sure either way.:rolleyes:

Just prepare your car with a winter survival pack and make sure your vehicle is serviced.

Good luck and have fun!! :wave:

Hi Deb,

That's a beautiful route & my favourite...but I don't think I'd drive it in the winter if there was any chance at all of snow. It's pretty hilly & I'd be way too nervous.

Thanks everyone, hi Lisa.

That is our fav route as well, but in the good weather.

We are still trying to switch a week of holidays, we were supposed to go this month but something came up. I want to go when it is not too hot in fl., but I would like the drive to be like in the spring time, lol

I guess it is that window of good weather we need to have with us,

Oh that speed trap in Summerville, have you noticed how built up that area is since a few years ago, I think it is all the people on holidays that are financing the mall and everything around that area. Just a joke, we actually saw the police pacing a car and then pulling them over, and they were only going a couple of miles over the speed limit.

Deb.

Went to a website, Speedtrap.com, I think that says that Summersville is the first or second most ticketed location in all of the USA. :eek: something like 18,000 speeding tickets per year.

They go on to say that CAA does not send any members by that route anymore. :eek: :eek:

Most tickets are around 107-137 dollars US, and they run the speed traps 24 7. :rolleyes:

They take great pleasure in ticketing out of State or Country drivers. :mad:

So slow way down before you enter town. ::yes:: ::yes::

We usually go thru town during rush hours when there are lots of locals. :teeth:

I would believe that. I know I always joke my hubby when we drive thru, I see some of the nice new houses and tell him that there is the police officers house, paid for from the traffic tickets.

But of course I am just joking.

Deb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter