Driving to legoland from disneyland questions

kwonyong

Mouseketeer
We are driving from disneyland to legoland on a monday morning. If legoland opens at 10 what time should we leave disneyland to get to legoland? Will the traffic be horrific? Should we planning on leaving really early and having breakfast somewhere in Carlsbad?

Thanks all

On a Monday, you will definitely hit a lot of traffic, especially around Carlsbad. If you don't mind getting to Legoland after it opens, you could leave Anaheim around 8:30 or 9, and the traffic should be better in Carlsbad by the time you would get there.

It should take you no more than an hour and a half with moderate traffic. With no traffic and utilizing the carpool lane, I can get from DLR to Carlsbad in about 50 minutes.

We drove on a Thursday and left DL parking lot at about 8:50 a.m., hit no traffice the whole way there and arrived about 10:15 a.m. We had a quick stop for restroom break.

If you're going in the summertime, traffic on Saturday going south is HORRENDOUS!!! Everyone goes down there for the weekend or for the week.

We're also planning on driving from Anaheim to Legoland on a Thursday morning, hoping to arrive at Legoland around opening (or soon after). It would seem that we woud be going against traffic in the morning as we would be heading away from the LA area. Of course I don't know anything about southern CA traffic patterns. Is this assumption true?

When we made the trip from DL to Legoland on a Thurs. morning we did not encounter traffic on the way there at all.

How long would it take if I drive from San Diego Airport to Disneyland? Plan to stay for a night in Disneyland resort, and then drive to Legoland (Carsbad). Then drive back to San Diego downtown area and spend a couple of days.

How bad (road, traffic) is the drive? Anywhere we can stop for lunch/washroom break? We plan to leave SAN around 1pm.

I am asking these silly questions because I haven't drove in CA. I had drove a few times from WDW (orlando) to Port Canaveral (DCL) and the drive was easy and smooth (except no washroom break).

How long would it take if I drive from San Diego Airport to Disneyland? Plan to stay for a night in Disneyland resort, and then drive to Legoland (Carsbad). Then drive back to San Diego downtown area and spend a couple of days.

How bad (road, traffic) is the drive? Anywhere we can stop for lunch/washroom break? We plan to leave SAN around 1pm.

I am asking these silly questions because I haven't drove in CA. I had drove a few times from WDW (orlando) to Port Canaveral (DCL) and the drive was easy and smooth (except no washroom break).

I live right by the SAN airport, and if I leave during a non-rush-hour time, with no accidents or anything, it takes me about 1:45 to pull into a spot at the parking lot at DL. That's going 65-70 (speed limit is 65) on cruise control with no stops. Adjust accordingly for your driving and needs :) The drive from DL to Carlsbad is about 1:10, also with no traffic.

Thanks sonnyane. When is the less traffic? I can start around 10am, 1pm, or 7pm.

10's pretty good. I have learned that Southern California does NOT follow traditional 9-5 rush hour, so even starting at 1:00 PM you might start encountering traffic, especially since it will be the holidays, so normal work hours don't apply. I'd also leave at ten just to arrive at Disneyland as soon as possible!

To be really, really honest (saw your DL post), if you are getting into SAN late and leaving the next morning for DL, I wouldn't rule out leaving earlier than 10 (if you can get everyone up and moving). The reason I say that is most San Diego traffic is coming INTO the city, not going north away from it. You'll encounter some morning traffic around Camp Pendleton (about 45 minutes north of SAN) but that's just an exit off the highway, it will clear easily. You might sit in traffic for about 20 minutes, but I have done the rush-hour drive from San Diego to Anaheim to be at DL's park opening a few times and never had to sit in gridlock traffic, b/c Anaheim is south of Los Angeles so you don't quite hit the awful traffic yet. For 10:00 AM park openings I have left my house here in San Diego at 7:45 and arrived at the DL front gates at 9:30 on weekdays with no problem.

We drove from DL to Legoland the Monday after Thanksgiving last year, and left our Harbor Blvd. hotel around 8:15. We didn't hit any traffic at all, and were at Legoland in plenty of time for the 10am opening. We did not stop for breakfast along the way....we had already eaten at the hotel.

We were worried about traffic on the way back to Anaheim, because the park closed at 5pm. We ended up leaving the park and having dinner in Carlsbad, so we avoided any potential traffic on the way back. We plan on doing the same this year....I found a Macaroni Grill in Oceanside (just north of Carlsbad).

Have a wonderful time! We love LL.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter