Dusty DVC trip report

Tiffster7

Earning My Ears
Our visit to Old Key West last week was a "comedy of errors". By the end I couldn't even be mad because it was just so ridiculous and Disney did make it right and I give them kudos for that.
We checked in late because we were attending a conference. The front desk gave me our packet and showed us our room number (4116) and when we arrived at the room- the keys were not in it. So back in the car- drive to the desk- volia! the keys were by her computer. So off to the room again- walk in- it smelled strong of smoke. Called the front desk- they could send someone by with neutralizer- because they had no rooms to switch to that nite. It was midnite so we decided to forgo breathing in the neutralizer as well. Some things you can live with.
So ten minutes later we are getting ready for bed- I look at the headboard and the front of the bed - I thought I had booked a room at the Haunted Mansion. There were two inches thick of dust and cobwebs! It wasn't hidden from someone who would have been making the bed either- that is what made me so angry- someone would have been staring at that dust every time the bed was made. I tried wiping a little spot with a washcloth and realized that it had gone on for so long I was making a bigger dusty mess. So called front desk again- "Our room is disgusting- there are cobwebs and dust"
So they send a lady down from maintainence to see it. She takes one look at it and asks us when we checked in- Uh just one hour ago- she pulled the bed away from the wall and even underneath the bed were huge dust bunnies. She even freaked out and said we needed a complete reclean because once you start dusting you have to vacuum and so on and couldn't beleive housekeeping left it like that. SO she calls the front desk to let them know about the mess and she wipes it down the best she can and leaves with the black towels to show operations.
We hack all nite (still no rooms to move us to supposedly)
We left for the rest of our conference and were gone all day again . I told my friend that maybe we should check on the room during our lunch break but she said "Oh no-it's Disney- they'll take care of it"
We arrive back from the conference at midnite again and Guess WHAT!?! The room has not been touched!!!!!!! Call front desk. The operations manager is floored because it was left on the log for morning operations to take care of. He offers to refund our Friday points. (I should have pushed for the whole thing but at this point I was exhausted, past anger to laughing, and deciding to sell my DVC points)
He says he will leave me a copy of his email to guest services and I can come to the front desk at check out get it.
Upon check out they give me the option to receive my points back or cash. (which amazed me) They actually paid me $280 back in cash. I don't know if it was worth the dusty lungs but it did make me feel better that I didn't have to sell the points myself or book ever again.
We have always had fun times at DVC- I don't know why we had the "black cloud" this time. But words of advice- especially if you or your little ones have allergies- check the beds.:sick:

Wow, that's pretty lousy service all around. Bad enough to have terrible housekeeping on that villa, but then not to follow up when "management" gets involved is inexcusable. It sounds like that villa had been neglected for some time by housekeeping. You would think that the previous occupant would have let someone know, wouldn't you? :confused3

By the way, just out of curiosity....how many points were they paying you cash for? Just interested to see how Disney "officially" values points.

And almost lost in your story is the fact that once again a tremendously rude guest had smoked in the villa. :mad:

Sorry to hear about your issues. I'm glad they gave you a refund, but honestly in this case I think they could have done more. Not sure what that should be, but between the smoke residual smell and the terrible housekeeping, you had more than just your nights of sleep impacted.

I'm glad to hear that you are rolling with the punches and not giving up on Disney. We've been very fortunate in our many DVC stays and have always had a good, clean room. But we hear way too many horror stories like this about housekeeping. Even though you were taken care of, I think it would be good if you dropped the Member Satisfaction Manager an e-mail to relate the problems and lack of follow up.

Thanks for sharing your story. :)

UGH!:mad: Sorry to hear about your "less-than-magical-stay".:rolleyes1
We've been lucky through many DVC vacations (barring minor glitches), but if we ever do have anything major, we'll definitely check that it's being attended to!
So, thanks for the "heads up" and best wishes for your future stays to be :wizard: ! :thumbsup2

I am still feeling that Disney really needs to work on their Maintanence Housekeeping issues. Room readiness is still a big big issue.:mad:

They paid us for 28 points so I guess they do the same as on most of the sale boards- $10 per point

Clean rooms should be a "given." I'm sorry that you got such a dirty, smelly room.
Bobbi

Now you have me wondering if they did NOT do rehabs on the former smoking rooms! I can't remember if 41 was a former smoking building or not.

I think 41 was a smoking building. That room is probably the last room they rent because of the smell and perhaps no one had used it in a while.

UGH, that means I have to go look up the smoking buildings again and make sure I don't get one of those!

Just checked the map and it was a smoking building. Maybe the last guest smoked in it, too.

Maybe thats one of the rooms they haven't needed and hope to sell a new 50year contract for. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter