• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC and Bus issues

Longhairbear

DIS Veteran
I have been reading posts that concern the buses at WDW, and specifically the efficiency of them at DVC resorts.
It is my understanding that Disney is now using a GPS to schedule buses. How does this affect the individual DVC resorts, and do the occupancy rates at the various DVC resorts affect the schedules?
Last month we stayed at BWV, and always got the new GPS equipped buses that played resort specific spiels, and resort themed music at each stop. Our one complaint was that BWV was included with the Swan/Dolphin/BCV stops. We felt that at least 2 of the other resort stops should be eliminated, as the stops extended the bus ride to, and from BWV.
I am assuming that the system is going through growing pains, and will be flawless in the near future. Anyone know how the buses are now scheduled?

At busier times, the bus service can actually be BETTER. We have never had a problem with the bus service, and we travel at busy times. Generally, in the middle of the day at theme parks or DD, we have found that they will reassign a bus or a bus route to get us where we want to go. They have transportation expediters whose job it is to do this sort of thing. The one problem that you CAN run into is getting a bus OUT of a resort in the middle of the day since they don't have the expediters. If what you say about the GPS is true, that would help with that problem. That said, I have NEVER waited more than twenty minutes for a bus even in the middle of the day.

At busier times, the bus service can actually be BETTER. We have never had a problem with the bus service, and we travel at busy times. Generally, in the middle of the day at theme parks or DD, we have found that they will reassign a bus or a bus route to get us where we want to go. They have transportation expediters whose job it is to do this sort of thing. The one problem that you CAN run into is getting a bus OUT of a resort in the middle of the day since they don't have the expediters. If what you say about the GPS is true, that would help with that problem. That said, I have NEVER waited more than twenty minutes for a bus even in the middle of the day.
We have never had any problems, or complaints about the buses,except our recent stay at BWV, any time during our many stays at WDW, including pre DVC ownership, except once. That one time occurred while leaving Fort Wilderness after a Hoop Dee Do. We got conflicting directions on how to get back to the Carribean. The trip took 3 hours, and involved an employee shift change at the T&TC. We were novices at the time and attributed that as the reason. We now know that it was really a huge screw up on the part of Disney, and Mears.

The GPS thing was not working very well in June - I saw more double bussess (as in a two busses back-to-back for one location with no bus for another). In the past, if you told the driver that an AK bus just came but you'd been waiting 30 minutes for an EPCOT bus, they'd radio in and switch. This time they were like "sorry, GPS, I just go where I'm told". WE actually had two AK in the bus stop at the same time - both with NO passengers getting on - and they just kept going.

I am assuming that the system is going through growing pains, and will be flawless in the near future.
I don't think that's a good assumption.

First of all, the bus system is hardly new -- it's been around for years, and so have all of the existing resorts and theme parks. I'm sure it is constantly being improved, and I know they do a lot of adjusting on the fly depending on traffic at a particular park, mechanical problems, special events, fireworks schedules, etc. But I think it is what it is.

Busing -- in any situation, not just at WDW -- will always involve a certain amount of waiting for a bus and then going to stops other than the one you want -- that's just the nature of the beast. OKW buses are usually cited as being the best in the system, but people still complain that they wind through the resort and make several stops before coming to their stop. You will never please everyone 100% of the time, so I'd be looking for something well short of "flawless."

[ETA: One option many overlook is taking a cab. Cabs are usually readily available and are pretty reasonably priced at WDW. Obviously, you wouldn't want to cab everywhere -- but if you have to be somewhere and you're running a little late, or if a kid is on the verge of a meltdown coming home at night, a cab might be a great option.]

You might get more authoritative feedback on the Transportation board, because there are bus drivers who post over there frequently.

the last 2 years Disney has changed the system big time. before then the bus drivers were on their own. Yes they could take you.

now they can't. they must do what the controllers tell them to do. That is why they have GPS.

the controllers are at fault. Of course they still blame the bus drivers.

this is WRONG big time.

write to disney tell them that the controllers are NOT working. I liked it much better when a bus driver could take someone - that obviously the controllers FORGOT.

Demand phones at the bus stops. So at least you can call these controllers and ask why are you still standing here.....

but anything under 30 minutes is according to their plan.

the worst wait I had was a BWV - going back from the MK - we waited 2 hours for that bus and yes it was local went to all 5 resorts.

write to disney tell them that the controllers are NOT working. I liked it much better when a bus driver could take someone - that obviously the controllers FORGOT.

True story:

At BWV in June, we were waiting for a MK bus. A bus rolls up with nothing on the sign. Because I was first in line, I had the job of going up and asking where the bus was going. The bus driver said "I don't know". I told everyone that he did not know. Then, he said (confidently) "I'm going to the Swan and then to EPCOT!!!!". I said "Um, you can't be going to EPCOT, BWV busses don't go to EPCOT - how about the Magic Kingdom?"

:rotfl: :rotfl:

We went to the MK.

In May, we waited 1 hr for a Bus to take us from MK to AKL for a Dinner Reservation. In this time frame, I saw 3 buses come for SSR, right next to us. We finally raised our hands to the comptroller, the next bus came to us. the bus driver must have been new, she could not drive over 25 MPH, we were 20 late for the ADR at Bomas. I posted this on another Thread, the CM didn't want to let us eat, I had other bus riders speak up for us, we had allowed pleanty of time to get there. I had tried calling the dining line, but it stayed busy for 20 minutes.

At WL we had 2 Epcot buses back to back. On another day, we went over to look at SSR, the same thing, 2 Epcot buses, back to back. People were really complaining, they had been waiting a long time. I think phones at the stops would be a good idea. In May, was the worst trip with the buses we have had and it was before Memorial day.

True story:

At BWV in June, we were waiting for a MK bus. A bus rolls up with nothing on the sign. Because I was first in line, I had the job of going up and asking where the bus was going. The bus driver said "I don't know". I told everyone that he did not know. Then, he said (confidently) "I'm going to the Swan and then to EPCOT!!!!". I said "Um, you can't be going to EPCOT, BWV busses don't go to EPCOT - how about the Magic Kingdom?"

:rotfl: :rotfl:

We went to the MK.

Last month at BWV we never saw a bus with the front displaying where it was going. We had to ask every time. So far I do not care for this new system. I hope things will be smooth and efficient next month <g>

the worst wait I had was a BWV - going back from the MK - we waited 2 hours for that bus and yes it was local went to all 5 resorts.

:scared1: Holy moly, you could walk back faster! And the bus must have been crowded! :crowded:

I've seen separate buses for all of the EPCOT resorts leaving the MK. I just take the first available one, since all five resorts are only a few steps apart.

Likewise, it's best to just get off the bus at the first stop, since you just need to walk next door to your hotel from any resort's bus stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter