DVC and Disneyland...

momsgoofy

<br><font color=blue>Hello! My name is Laura and I
Okay...I have never been to the place it all began with a little ol' mouse...Disneyland. We are looking at a short trip for Thanksgiving 2006 so I am starting to research and collect all the info I can...so why not start here where all the wise DISsers can share their wealth of knowledge. :grouphug:

I would appreciate any info you could share...we'd use our points from what I'm thinking at this point. Any insight into the 3 hotels at DL...good, bad, indifferent would be great! Since it's not as big as WDW, would 3 full days do the trick...get to see most everything? What else is available nearby? Is a car rental a must?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

I would either stay at the Grand Californian or the Dland hotel, with GC being first choice. Three days during a holiday might be tough. We were there this year over Columbus day and the Jewish holidays and ended up leaving due to the crowds. DL is much smaller size wise and therefore when it's crowded you really notice. Not many attractions at California Adventure, so the lines for those can be quite long.

I would rent a car. There isn't anything close to do near DL, but you can drive to the Newport Coast area in around 20 - 30 minutes and enjoy all the quaint towns and shops.

Where are you in So IL? My mom's family is from Murphysboro. We flew my SIL on a direct flight on AA from STL to SNA (Orange County) for around $200.

Alright, for a change I get to be the expert here on the DVC board! :cool1:

All three of the Disneyland Resort hotels are very nice. GC and the DLH both have very nice themed pools with slides, but I would say the DLH pool edges out the GC pool in both theming and the slide. The PP pool isn't really themed at all, and it's a bit small, but they have a fun slide now.

The GC is the best themed resort with a "WOW" factor in the lobby, the most centrally located, has an upscale restaurant (Napa Rose), and also offers child care for kids 4 years of age (or potty trained) and older. Some rooms are not located in the best spot (at the end of a long, long hallway) so requesting a room close to the elevators is probably a good idea. Some rooms have bunkbeds (just like at the AKL).

DLH is the closest to the monorail (a three minute walk), so access to Disneyland is quick and easy. It's about a 10 minute walk through DTD to get to DCA. The rooms are not elegant like GC, but they're fun with cute Disney touches, and many are good sized too. The hotel is made up of three towers, and the one with the best views is the Sierra tower. Definately request a room in the Sierra tower above the 5th floor with a DTD view (you can also see the fireworks if you have a DTD view. Of course the view on the other side of the Sierra tower isn't bad either - a nice view of the Neverland Pool.

PP rooms have a kind of beach themed decor to them, and they are fairly spacious. I've actually heard some people say that this is their favorite of the three Disneyland Resort Hotels, but everyone has different likes and dislikes. Some rooms have a great view of DCA. It's about a 5 minute walk to DCA and a 10 minute walk to DL.

I would suggest a full 4 days to spend at the parks, especially if you've never been before. You might be a little rushed with only three days. Plus it'll be very crowded at Thanksgiving, so 4 days would be essential to get to see and do all that you want.

A rental car is not at all necessary if staying on property. But if you want to rent a car for any reason, I do know that the Best Western Park Place Inn has a car rental business right in the lobby, and it's located right across from the front gates of the DL resort. That's about a 5 minute walk to GC, and a 10 minute walk to PP or the DLH.

Around Disneyland there's not too much within walking distance. A few places to visit if you rented a car for a day would be Knottsberry Farm, Medieval Knights (tournament and dinner), and the Crystal Cathedral. Also the beach and the Aquarium of the Pacific. All of these are about a 15-20 minute or so drive, except the Crystal Cathedral which is only like 5 minutes away.

Hope this helps you and I'd be happy to answer anymore questions you have.

Enjoy Disneyland! :cheer2:

We went to the Disneyland hotel 4 years after we were married for our "honeymoon". We stayed in a room with a balcony. We went back with the kids about 12 or 13 years later and everything was completey different! I asked about the rooms with a balcony, and I was told they were 500.00 a night. That was about 8 years ago. Just goes to show you how prices go up over the years. I think it was 125.00/night the first time we went. We liked the Neverland Pool and all the shops. I can't wait to go back now.

llp479 said:
I would either stay at the Grand Californian or the Dland hotel, with GC being first choice. Three days during a holiday might be tough. We were there this year over Columbus day and the Jewish holidays and ended up leaving due to the crowds. DL is much smaller size wise and therefore when it's crowded you really notice. Not many attractions at California Adventure, so the lines for those can be quite long.

I would rent a car. There isn't anything close to do near DL, but you can drive to the Newport Coast area in around 20 - 30 minutes and enjoy all the quaint towns and shops.

Where are you in So IL? My mom's family is from Murphysboro. We flew my SIL on a direct flight on AA from STL to SNA (Orange County) for around $200.

The DIS world is truly small....both DH and I were raised in Murphysboro...I'm sending you a PM.

Thanks for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter