DVC Annual Pass Discount for Fiancee

LindsLovesDisney

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I hope I am posting in the correct spot. My boyfriend and I recently got engaged and have settled on our date for our Disney wedding (12/12/2020!). Because we will be heading down to Disney for a few wedding related events (planning session, bridal showcase, dress fitting), we wanted to purchase annual passes. We also plan to stay for a few extra days before our Disney Cruise on 12/19/2020 so we will definitely be making good use of an annual pass. Here is the problem: I am on the DVC deed with my mom, but Andrew is not.

Andrew and I have been dating for nine years and have lived together for five. We will be married in December and we were planning to add him as an associate member at that time so he could make reservations, update bookings, etc. without us having to redo the deed. Once we are married, we will be able to purchase an annual pass for him because we are immediate family living in the same household, but that doesn't help us much this year!

Is there any sort of flexibility with this? I know common law marriage is not so much a thing these days, but we own a house together and have lived in it for five years! We will be legally married in December (at WDW no less) so I am just wondering if I can show all of this documentation, if they would be flexible. Anyone have any luck with similar situations?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:
While I haven't done what you are asking, I suspect you would have no problem doing it. My understanding is the most they check is that all purchasers over 18 prove they live at the address of the DVC member activating the pass. So you would need to be present to activate the pass, show your blue card, and then each show your ID that shows the same address.

If he is a member of your household..which he is...then you should be set since he can show proof of his address

I always thought it was immediate family, but it’s been a long time since I’ve bought a DVC discounted pass.

The discount is for immediate family residing in the same household as the DVC Member as shown on the deed. Boyfriends, future spouses and associate members do not qualify for DVC Discounts including the discount for the AP. Here is the information from the DVC member website:

If You Purchased Online:
  • Your Disney Vacation Club Membership Card
  • Valid driver’s license or state identification cards showing that all adult family members reside in the same household
  • An exchange certificate, which you’ll receive in the mail
If You Purchased by Phone Through Member Services:
  • Your will-call number or name the order was processed under
  • Valid driver’s license or state identification cards showing that all adult family members reside in the same household
If You Purchased at a Theme Park or Disney Springs:

You mean after spending thousands on a Disney wedding, they don't throw in APs for the bride and Groom?

The discount is for immediate family residing in the same household as the DVC Member as shown on the deed. Boyfriends, future spouses and associate members do not qualify for DVC Discounts including the discount for the AP. Here is the information from the DVC member website:

Yes, it does say all adult family members, but it doesn’t define that and given the common law marriage, domestic partners, etc., things have changed and I do believe, just from my own conversations, that if one provides the CM with a license or documents that shows they are living in the same household, they will not ask what then relationship is given all i mentioned above and will allow the purchase of the DVC AP.

You mean after spending thousands on a Disney wedding, they don't throw in APs for the bride and Groom?
That was my thought as well, but they are looking for passes BEFORE the wedding.

My other thought is, while this wedding will cost a bazillion dollars, why are they concerned over a few hundred dollars?
But I get it. A few hundred saved is always a good thing. It just wouldn’t be on my radar after spending that much money.

Regardless, I still thought it was for immediate family. Otherwise you could have a boarder in your attic that you barely know, and they could get the discount.

I don't think there will be any pushback from the CM since you can prove you're in the same household, but YMMV as the policy does say family members-- which you two are not yet under law. He could technically just be your roommate.

Now, disclaimer: my Disney wedding was like six years ago, so things may have changed. However, we did receive “complimentary” annual pass vouchers, and we received them early enough that we were able to use them on our “tasting visit” a few months before the wedding. We were not told in advance “hey, you get free APs,” they just showed up in the mail (at least per my memory). Now Disney may have “cheaped out” since then — I would suggest asking the folks on the Dis wedding board, who surely have more recent experiences.

ETA: Went and looked, it turns out someone recently asked about the free APs on the wedding board. Sadly it seems Disney doesn’t provide them anymore. :/

Last edited:
My bf and I have lived together for 11 years and have gotten AP 6 of those years. All they have ever asked for when activating the DVC voucher is our IDs. As long as your IDs are same address I think you will be fine.

• we recently moved in with my son who is DVC ..we are going in 9 days...we were wondering if I can get annual pass...I just got the new real ID license in the past year...so the DMV just put a sticker on the back with new address...so I would not have to pay again...will this work?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!