DVC Availability

Disneygirl612

Mouseketeer
I am thinking of purchasing a DVC resale at Saratoga Springs (about 250 points) and would like to know if it is difficult to book at other resorts 7 months out.

Buy the resort you want to stay at. 7 months has gotten harder to book over the past x amount of years.

In 2009 originally owned SSR due to the lower price. After a few years of not being able to get stays where I wanted (BLT), in 2012 I sold my SSR contract and bought 525 BLT points at $102 a point. Very happy I did.

It varies greatly based on when you travel, too. We own at AKV and have yet to stay there on our own points ; ) But we travel every September which is pretty easy at 7 months. We usually stay Poly and GFV and never have an issue with availability. But our mostly fixed travel month played greatly into the decision to purchase AKV direct knowing we wouldn't stay there too often. For us it works out and is a massive savings. And if we cant get in we are happy with AKV too.

It varies greatly based on when you travel, too. We own at AKV and have yet to stay there on our own points ; ) But we travel every September which is pretty easy at 7 months. We usually stay Poly and GFV and never have an issue with availability. But our mostly fixed travel month played greatly into the decision to purchase AKV direct knowing we wouldn't stay there too often. For us it works out and is a massive savings. And if we cant get in we are happy with AKV too.
My family loves Animal Kingdom. We usually go end of August or November. We may go for Animal Kingdom instead. My kids are school age when they were little we went in Sept. and it was great!

Agreed it's all about when you like to visit. We own at Saratoga and typically travel in May and rarely have trouble staying at different resorts that time of year. However we are never unhappy having to stay at Saratoga because we love the resort.

Even though we believe in the 'buy where you want to stay (or dont' mind staying," idea, we've not had many problems getting what we want at 7 months, However, we've never looked at Christmas, and since we own at BWV, we book it asap for any Oct/Nov stays.but, you gotta be quick to get standard views at BWV during Food/Wine. Have had no issues getting rooms in late May/early June, another time we travel a lot. have stayed at Poly, BLT, AKL, all during May, no issues booking. I must add, we never look for studios. Only 1 bedrooms or larger, and 1 bedrooms are usually plentiful, especially if not standard view. That many points should be able to give you some cushion in booking in a lot of places , larger units and non standard views.
even tho I dont' think it'll ever really happen, that Disney would restrict anyone to home resort, we're more than fine if we could only book BwV from now on. (but hope to not have to)

Last edited:
That’s good to hear! Thank you. Our plan is to do a 10 or 11 day trip in a 2 BR Villa every other year. We have 4 kids so we could use the extra space. Polys studios are very nice and roomy and the resort itself is absolutely beautiful but I love the convenience of having a washer and dryer in the unit because we have so many people.

We own at SSR and AKV. To answer your question, it depends on when you go. We typically go in the summer (early June or July) and either Thanksgiving week or a week around Christmas. In the summer, we’ve been able to get what we want (minus a full week at BCV). Around the holidays, we usually have to stay at one of our home resorts.

I, too, am firmly in the buy where you want to stay camp. Depending on when you wish to go and what Disney has planned, reserving another resort at seven months could be problematic. Now, we've had decent success over the past 15 years, but it was part good fortune and part timing. There were also times when we could get nothing. The following is a short list of tough gets--there are plenty of others, but this will give you an idea.
- The holidays at either DVC resort at WL and at VGF
- BCV or BW during the festivals, especially F&W
- VGC at anytime
- Run Disney events
- Most major holidays

These are generalizations, to be sure, but it is getting tougher to book outside your home resort at 7 months. Everyone will have his/her own opinion, but for me, I prefer to pay a little more (if need be) and own where I absolutely love. That way, if nothing opens at 7 months, I'm a happy camper.

The easiest time to book a non-home resort is the end of January and early May. The rest of the time may be iffy. Especially if you want a specific non-home resort. BCV and BWV may be difficult at any time of the year. Studios will be hardest to book at seven months out; two bedroom villas come next. I've gotten a one bedroom at BLT at the end of Jan, GFV one bedroom in early may a couple of times. But for Fall Frenzy (mid-Sept through mid-Jan) you need to book your home resort at 11 months out every time. Early Dec is also a hard time to book anything other than your home resort right at 11 months out. You wait until ten months out and you can't book it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!