DVC & Dining plan

RedRuby

TDC Barrister & Solicitor to Mr. D. Duck
Since I don't read the DVC boards, I didn't realise something until just yesterday. Some of you may be quicker on the update and have already figured this out, but here goes:

The Disney Dining plan (DDP) *can* be added to DVC reservations for owners or their renters. This became significant for me when I realised that renting points and paying for the Dining plan at a DVC property, could be CHEAPER than just getting one or two rooms, without dining, at a regular resort. :cool1: DDP can be added without tickets, so it's more flexible, too.

I believe the dining add on for DVC reservations is effective April 1st.
For me, this is sort of like getting the 'free dining' package again....so I thought I'd share.

(This is good news for me because my hypothetical future trip to WDW includes travelling with a friend, not my spouse, so more space/privacy would work well -- but I wasn't keen on paying cash for all those meals. We'd stay DVC _+ dining for four nights, then elsewhere for 2 nights and paying cash for meals as required on the last day(s). The DDP credits are good 'til midnight on your checkout date, so we could go to dinner, buy up our last snacks/counter meals, and stick the leftovers in the fridge at our new resort for the next day. Neat.)

I am a DVC member as well, and very excited about this too! We have never done the dining plan, I think it can save a substantial amount of money, expecially if you plan on using table service every day. The only concern I have is that you have to purchase it for your entire party, we are going for 5 nights in June in a 2 bdm with another family. I am not sure if the other family wants to purchase the plan, So it is all or nothing.

I'm doing the same thing on our trip in April. I rented DVC points to stay at SSR and added the dining plan!! What a way to save money!! I figure I'm saving $200 a night on the room so the dining plan is well worth it!!!

KIM

Yay!! :yay: I was wondering about this a couple of months ago. So basically, we can get in touch with the DVC owner that we're renting from and ask to add it on? cool :smokin:

EDIT: I called DVC and you add it yourself to the reservation!! Just in case anyone is renting and wondering the same thing.
:teeth: Hope it's not too much food!!! :rotfl:

I posted this as an example on another post, but thought it is relevant to this discussion:

This is for a person who is going in November with I believe 3 adults, 1 child and 1 infant. I wanted to show that you could get a better room, possibly and most likely for less, and then be able to add the Dining Plan and also get your park passes from the least expensive distributor (perhaps the ticketmania link through Mousesavers).

So, if Ella was going Sunday, November 5- Friday November 10th, that would only be 40 points (or $400). Not bad, $80 a night, and then add the dining plan. Pop Century is $552 for the same time period.

6 Nights - lets go with Sunday, November 5-11th, total points 61 ($610), also not bad! $101.66 a night when you divide by 6. And that is all, no paying extra for taxes! Pop Century is $662.50 for the same time period.

Now, say she wanted an entire week, well, lets go with November 4-11th, total points 82 ($820), also not bad for a week! $117 a night when you divide by 7. And that is all, no paying extra for taxes! Pop Century is $772 for the same time period. Yes, weekends add more points. IMHO, 6 nights is the best deal!

ALSO, Very important, Pop Century is 2 double beds, OKW is 2 Queen Beds, and has more room for the porta crib. Holding 4 adults and one child under 3. Other resorts, you pay more for an extra adult in the same room over 2 adults.

But, for 1 week, I would rather stay at OKW than at Pop Century and pay the additional $48 difference for the whole week. Just my opinion.

Of course, if you want more room, and who doesn't? LOL

A one bedroom at OKW (the largest of all DVC's),

(Villas offer views of water, woodlands, or fairways. The one-bedroom, one-bath Villa has a fully-equipped kitchen, dining area, (EDITED) Side by Side washer and dryer in a separte room, and private patio. The master bedroom suite includes a king-size bed and whirlpool tub. The living room has a queen-size sleeper sofa. )

here is how is would go down for the above dates:

OKW has 18 point nights for Nov 1-21, and Nov 25-30, points go to 20 a night for Nov 22-24. Friday and Saturday are 41 a night Nov 1-21, and Nov 25-30, points go to 48 a night for Nov 22-24.

So, if Ella was going Sunday, November 5- Friday November 10th, that would only be 90 points (or $900). Not bad, $180 a night, and then add the dining plan. Pop Century is $552 for the same time period x 2 rooms = $1,104.

6 Nights - lets go with Sunday, November 5-11th, total points 131 ($1,310), also not bad! $240.01 a night when you divide by 6. Pop Century is $662.50 x 2 = $1,325.00 for the same time period.

Now, say she wanted an entire week, well, lets go with November 4-11th, total points 172 ($1,720), also not bad for a week! $270 a night when you divide by 7. Pop Century is $772 x 2 = $1,544.00 for the same time period. Yes, weekends add more points. IMHO, 6 nights is the best deal!

On Disney' website, the same time period would cost $3,161.13, that's a difference of $1,441.13. The only difference is housekeeping. There would only be one housecleaning date, and one trash and towel.

Is the rate the same 37.99 per adult and Jr. when adding the DP to DVC rental? I am correct that we still need to purchase at 1 day MYW tickets?

Thanks,
Amy

My understanding is that we DVC members don't need purchase admission.

Correct, DVC members and their renters do not need to purchase park admission to be on the plan. Other than that, it is the same as for anyone else.

Ok, you may have misunderstood. DVC members/renters do not have to purchase tickets to participate in the dining plan. That means that we can use the plan if we have annual passes, have leftover tickets from earlier trips, or don't plan to eat in the parks (like eat only at the resorts at DTD)

You do need some sort of ticket if you plan to enter the parks.

We already have park hoppers left over from a Janurary visit. So we do have tickets. With the regular dining plan we were going to have to each add on a 1 day MYW pass with added about 62.00 per person. That would almost pay for 2 days worth of dining.

Thaks for the info though. :sunny:

We just added the DDP for the 5 of us for our 1st DVC trip in May. Hastle free, pay for it when you check-in.

Using the calculators I have found that we would be saving $1,400 between the 5 of us using the plan. Granted we wouldn't normally visited such EXPENSIVE resturants w/o the plan, but given the price of only $37.99 a day per person... its well worth that!

We have the DDE card from our previous visit (when DVC couldn't get the DDP). Even allowing for the DDE discount we could have gotten, the DDP is going to be a good deal for us. In addition, it is allowing us to go to more expensive restaurants than we normally would, and for me to not cringe when DD (teen) wants the most expensive thing on the menu.

kcashner said:
We have the DDE card from our previous visit (when DVC couldn't get the DDP). Even allowing for the DDE discount we could have gotten, the DDP is going to be a good deal for us. In addition, it is allowing us to go to more expensive restaurants than we normally would, and for me to not cringe when DD (teen) wants the most expensive thing on the menu.
HI, I figured the same thing with my family! :rolleyes: My 12 year old DS and my 21 year old DD LOVE to order both APPETIZERS and DESSERTS and the MOST expensive entree on the menu!(although they DO NOT finish it ALL) My other DS(18) will ALWAYS order STEAK at any TS restaurant and an APPETIZER! My DH likes a SALAD and a MEAT entree. As for ME, give me a nice APPETIZER and a GREAT DESSERT!!I think we will make out fine with both the DDE and the DDP! We also visit WDW more than once a year,we are DVC owners, and usually spend a few nites each visit in a on site hotel. This summer is the first time we will try the DDP(thru DVC) and from what I have read I think we will be VERY HAPPY with IT!! Joan

MCazer said:
A one bedroom at OKW (the largest of all DVC's),

(Villas offer views of water, woodlands, or fairways. The one-bedroom, one-bath Villa has a fully-equipped kitchen, dining area, stacked washer and dryer, and private patio. The master bedroom suite includes a king-size bed and whirlpool tub. The living room has a queen-size sleeper sofa. )
VERY minor correction to an otherwise excellent post. The OKW one-bedroom does not have stacked washer and dryer. The other resorts do, but OKW has full-sized, stand-alone washers and dryers. For good photos of DVC resorts, go here http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/dvc.htm

Scroll down the list on the left margin and click on "text links" for the resort of your choice. That way, you won't have to look at the whole slideshow to see what you are interested in. [ETA: The laundry room shown for the OKW Grand Villa is exactly the same as that for the one-bedroom.]

IMHO, the combination of space and dining plan makes renting from DVC owners one of the best bargains around for families. (Incidentally, I don't rent my points -- we use them!)

This is great news. One thing that kinda turned me off of DVC is that you couldn't get the DDP. We loved the plan. I am excited to hear this :)

JimMIA said:
VERY minor correction to an otherwise excellent post. The OKW one-bedroom does not have stacked washer and dryer. The other resorts do, but OKW has full-sized, stand-alone washers and dryers. For good photos of DVC resorts, go here http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/dvc.htm

Funny thing was, I had signed into the DVC website, and copied and pasted the One Bedroom accommodations wording for OKW, and did not even notice it. I thought it would be easier, since it was their website to just put in what they have! LOL I just went back to doublecheck, and it still remains incorrect. Wonder if I should email them. Obviously they did a little cut and paste themselves from another resort! LOL

I love that OKW has the larger washer/dryer and the separate room, keeps everything nice and tidy for us, we just bring those popup hampers and throw everything in there until we do a load. We always go home with clean clothes! I hate doing laudry when we get home. It is one thing to wash and fold and iron clothes for a trip, in anticipation, it is another to be sad and missing the vacation, only to have to wash and clean the clothes you wore! BIG BUMMER LOL!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter