DVC Direct Member Benefits Digital Card Questions

I'm finding more often that I am asked to show the DVC-Y card on my phone. In April, after MK fireworks they directed us through the stores and yes, I fell into the trap of shopping at the Emporium. The lines were enormous, people shoulder to shoulder and the CM at the register waited for me to fumble around for my phone to confirm DVC-Y. It was a good 3 minutes of not moving that line.

We ate lunch at AK and the server asked if we had discounts. I said we were DVC she said "thanks for keeping me employed. Can I see your card?". I asked what would happen if it was a DVC-ND card and she said she'd say "Thanks for keeping me employed and there's no discount". We had an interesting convo and she was saying how Disney loves to sell DVC for the upfront money and CMs feel a sense of job security.

ToTW was also strict and additionally asked for photo ID. Another minor peeve because I tend to keep my DL in the hotel safe.

I do wish the discount could be linked to the MC or some other more easily identifiable way then fumbling for my phone and then searching for it.

I'm finding more often that I am asked to show the DVC-Y card on my phone. In April, after MK fireworks they directed us through the stores and yes, I fell into the trap of shopping at the Emporium. The lines were enormous, people shoulder to shoulder and the CM at the register waited for me to fumble around for my phone to confirm DVC-Y. It was a good 3 minutes of not moving that line.
At the Emporium (and any other supported retail location), you should take advantage of Merchandise Mobile Checkout which will automatically apply any applicable discount.

At the Emporium (and any other supported retail location), you should take advantage of Merchandise Mobile Checkout which will automatically apply any applicable discount.
Agreed - we stumbled onto that one by accident one night when it was so busy. Now we try to do mobile whenever we can - works pretty well!

So for Moonlight magic, APs and lounges are the CM's doing something different then the CM's at the dining halls? Or are you just saying they are more diligent or should be more diligent? They are all still just asking to see the DVC Y?

Ok so you are the first person I have seen say that they are scanning QR codes. If you are a Y does it do something different then if you are a ND? Does it chime like a slot machine? Is there different colors on the screen? Does it just show the CM that you are eligible?

My experience has always been pretty strict with what they want and have indeed seen people not eligible not given the discount for merchandise.

As noted, many CMs know what to do and ask to see the correct things…others do not.

So it seems like to me from most of the responses that CM's at dining and merch spots want to get their eyes on DVC Y and maybe the CM's at the lounges want to see the DVC Y and a photo ID.

And it seems that when you want to purchase Annual Passes and certain event tickets then they will scan your card? When does anyone think that it will go to all scanning for everything? Has there been any indication?

So it seems like to me from most of the responses that CM's at dining and merch spots want to get their eyes on DVC Y and maybe the CM's at the lounges want to see the DVC Y and a photo ID.

And it seems that when you want to purchase Annual Passes and certain event tickets then they will scan your card? When does anyone think that it will go to all scanning for everything? Has there been any indication?

No idea when it might move to scanning.

Went to Starbucks at DCA a few days ago while my wife and son went off to check out Club Pixar. Forgot I left my phone in the stroller. So when the CM asked if I had an AP, DVC, etc I said "Yes, I do have a Magic Key. But my wife has my phone." She didn't respond and just asked me to tap or slide my credit card to pay. I noticed later on the receipt the CM kindly applied the DVC discount instead. All this to say it pretty much seems like whatever the CM in front of you is willing to do. Some are lax. Some are not.

We got asked each and every time to show our Y during our trip two weeks ago and almost always had to also show ID at the same time. The Y is so small and hard to read you’d think someone would think if something else. Once, however, we had to also log into the DVC webpage which I thought was weird/excessive.
I love that mobile ordering or shopping automatically adds the discount.

Went to Starbucks at DCA a few days ago while my wife and son went off to check out Club Pixar. Forgot I left my phone in the stroller. So when the CM asked if I had an AP, DVC, etc I said "Yes, I do have a Magic Key. But my wife has my phone." She didn't respond and just asked me to tap or slide my credit card to pay. I noticed later on the receipt the CM kindly applied the DVC discount instead. All this to say it pretty much seems like whatever the CM in front of you is willing to do. Some are lax. Some are not.
The Magic Key and DVC discounts are the same, so they're probably a little less concerned at FF&P regarding the discount on a coffee.

It depends. If I am at OKW, since I stay there most of the time, most of the cast members that have been there a few years recognoze me. Newer cast members, ask to see the DVC Y, and almost every other place on Doisney property has asked to see the DVC Y designation for dining and shopping discounts. You also need to show the DVC Y to access the Members lounge at EPCOT, and rumor has it, lounges are coming to other parks.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter