DVC exclusive Danube River Cruise

I know it's a long shot, but a Mekong ABD River Cruise would be amazing.

That would be! I have the Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos trip on my list. DH said he isn't sure if he is comfortable with me going (even with a group). I told him ABD wouldn't go if it wasn't safe. One of my best friends has been to Vietnam twice and she says it is absolutely amazing.

I've been interested in river cruises, but after Calypso's report, I'm even more eager to try.

Yes, the Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos ABD trip has been on my list since Cousin Orville went. Then I was thinking about doing the AMAwaterways trip.
It will happen! :) May have to get a room mate from these boards, but it will happen one of these years!:dogdance:

We will see how I like river cruising after the ABD Danube river cruise ...in three weeks!!! Then decide from there.

For those asking about the Apricot Farm, I did that. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a short bus ride (15 min) to the area where we picked up our local guide. She then gave us a bus tour of the local farms with narration explaining how the area is farmed and the demographics of such farms. There are grapes grown here too. We then stopped at their family farm where we could see the trees and vines up close, hear about how they farm and the history of their family business. Then we headed to the shop which is also the location of their winery/canning. We were able to sample nectar, jams, wines and schnapps. Wow....got a pretty big buzz there! We were also able to see and hear about the wine making. We then had time to shop and I don't think anyone on our tour left empty handed. My mom just had some toast and said the jam is worth going there for!

Schloss Hof, Apricot Farms and Salt Mines were my total favorites. The food on the ship was AMAZING. And thanks Calypso, I don't have the patience for a trip report. It was nice meeting you guys too!

For those asking about the bike rides, I did the 1 1/2 hour ride and the 3 1/2 hour ride. The 1 1/2 hour ride is very leisurely. The group was split into a faster and a slower group each with adventure guides and local guide. There were a number of stops and breaks. As someone who has not cycled any distance for a number of years but in reasonably good shape, I found the ride very easy if not too slow.

The longer bike ride was again at a fairly slow pace albeit faster than the shorter ride. If not for the hot weather, this again would have been mostly very easy. There was one hill near the end which was challenging which was the only time I was breathing hard. There were a number of stops along the way for the slower members to catch up, tour, ferry ride and lunch, ice cream etc. One of the adventure guides carried an incredible amount of water on his bike to ensure everyone remained hydrated. I was also able to do the hike to the castle first thing in the morning and return to the ship in time to do the bike ride.

Thanks so much for the additional information! One question about the bikes - were there any kid's bikes available and did any kids do the bike rides? My oldest is 12 and would love it and I am sure he would have no trouble keeping up if he had the right size bike.

For those asking about the Apricot Farm, I did that. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a short bus ride (15 min) to the area where we picked up our local guide. She then gave us a bus tour of the local farms with narration explaining how the area is farmed and the demographics of such farms. There are grapes grown here too. We then stopped at their family farm where we could see the trees and vines up close, hear about how they farm and the history of their family business. Then we headed to the shop which is also the location of their winery/canning. We were able to sample nectar, jams, wines and schnapps. Wow....got a pretty big buzz there! We were also able to see and hear about the wine making. We then had time to shop and I don't think anyone on our tour left empty handed. My mom just had some toast and said the jam is worth going there for!

Schloss Hof, Apricot Farms and Salt Mines were my total favorites. The food on the ship was AMAZING. And thanks Calypso, I don't have the patience for a trip report. It was nice meeting you guys too!

It was great meeting you all as well! thanks for the deets on the Apricot Farm. Had a few people say it was their trip highlight. DH and I were talking and we could happily do the cruise again and simply enjoy the scenery going by and check out the Apricot farm. The food was fantastic!!! Hope we see you guys again on a future adventure!

It was great meeting you all as well! thanks for the deets on the Apricot Farm. Had a few people say it was their trip highlight. DH and I were talking and we could happily do the cruise again and simply enjoy the scenery going by and check out the Apricot farm. The food was fantastic!!! Hope we see you guys again on a future adventure!

Thanks, you guys! I thought I wanted to do the hike, but after this, and some issues with my knee today, I think I'm switching to the Apricot Farm! Thanks! I loved the trip to the Farm in Sorrento, so I'm thinking this sounds really similar!

(I had already decided ages ago I was doing the Salt Mines!)

Sayhello

Thanks so much for the additional information! One question about the bikes - were there any kid's bikes available and did any kids do the bike rides? My oldest is 12 and would love it and I am sure he would have no trouble keeping up if he had the right size bike.

There were some smaller bikes available for the shorter bike ride. The adult bikes were 8 speeds with various sizes. There was a range of helmets with adjustment knob to fit properly. There were local guides to help fit the helmets, select the bikes and adjust the seats. Depending on how tall your oldest is, I would confirm with the adventure guide when you check in (and select your excursions) that there will be a bike that fits your child. The longer bike ride just had adult 24 speed bikes, generally larger bikes. Again, you may want to request a shorter bike when you check in (I am around 5'6" and found the bike I was riding a bit big for me, even with the seat lowered as much as possible).

I didn't see kids on the shorter trip. I did see some kids (10-14) on the 1 hr bike trip that I didn't go on. The youngest on the long bike ride was around 15 years old and he had no trouble keeping up. Given the speed and the number of stops, I don't expect your oldest to have any problem. FYI, on the longest bike trip, one person dropped out half way through the trip due to heat and the adventure guides and local guides arranged for pickup and dropoff back at the ship, so you are not committed to make the whole trip once you start.

Thank you so much for your reports!

We sail on the 14th. Wanted to ask a few questions: (1) how is the air conditioning in the rooms? My husband likes a cold room to sleep in! (2) the menus look awesome - but perhaps a bit fussy for my teens. Do they have a "kids" menu or are there off menu options at the seated dinners? How are the breakfasts and lunches?

Thank you so much for your insight!!! Enjoy your trip!

There is a different dinner menu for the kids every night. Usually there is one adventurous option. The kids started out downstairs in the wine rooms (smaller dining rooms off of the main dining room). They ordered off of the kids menu. On the third night, a buffet style meal was served in the lounge upstairs with several of the adventure guides. The kids could take a little of each of the menu items. Your kids may eat with you in the min dining room, if they want to. Our youngest DS (7) chose to eat with the kids every night. Our eldest DS (10) chose to eat in the main dining room with us one night. The kids will eat breakfast and lunch with their parents.

Also, the adevnture guides will give the kids the option to do some"kid" things at several of the excursions. This included a play in period costumes, cookie making, and a scavenger hunt. This was offered prior to the adults touring the interior of the palaces. It is not mandatory for the kids to do the junior adventurer option, but my kids alway did.

Enjoy! It was an amazing trip!

Hello - quick question :) I've enjoyed reading about your trip, and we are considering this trip for next summer. We have also considered the traditional Central Europe ABD, in some part because of the opportunity to tour the Sound of Music sites. Did I miss that, or did you choose a different excursion? Do you know if a Sound of Music tour is an option on the cruise, or is that something that is more exclusive to the Central Europe tour? It isn't a deal breaker, but I am curious. I noticed that the Vienna zoo was also something on the land tour that didn't appear on the cruise options. Planning for a family of 5 means there are lots of different interests I'm trying to balance. Thank you !

Your trip report has been really amazing...thanks for sharing! I had sort of written off the river cruises as something that just wasn't my style, especially since there are so many other places I want to visit (Hawaii has been calling my name for years!). But then I read your trip report. And then a good friend said she is moving to Budapest for two years and invited us to visit her next summer. All of a sudden, I hear this trip whispering to me!

Hello - quick question :) I've enjoyed reading about your trip, and we are considering this trip for next summer. We have also considered the traditional Central Europe ABD, in some part because of the opportunity to tour the Sound of Music sites. Did I miss that, or did you choose a different excursion? Do you know if a Sound of Music tour is an option on the cruise, or is that something that is more exclusive to the Central Europe tour? It isn't a deal breaker, but I am curious. I noticed that the Vienna zoo was also something on the land tour that didn't appear on the cruise options. Planning for a family of 5 means there are lots of different interests I'm trying to balance. Thank you !

It was a great trip. On the Salzburg day I did not go to Mondsee, I chose to go to the salt mines. We did go to the Mirabelle Gardens afterwards but that was about the only Sound of Music feature we experienced. I believe the evening entertainment that day featured two singers who did sing some songs from Sound of Music with the audience.

Your trip report has been really amazing...thanks for sharing! I had sort of written off the river cruises as something that just wasn't my style, especially since there are so many other places I want to visit (Hawaii has been calling my name for years!). But then I read your trip report. And then a good friend said she is moving to Budapest for two years and invited us to visit her next summer. All of a sudden, I hear this trip whispering to me!

You are welcome! I am glad you enjoyed it. I had wanted to try a river cruise at some point so I was glad when ABD announced they were doing it. More so after I found the general demographic and type of excursions offered on other river cruises not to fit in with my expectations. Glad I waited. I'd happily do the cruise again and simply opt out of some of the excursions so I could sit back and watch the scenery go by.

Reading through your trip report and taking it all in! I plan on booking the Danube cruise for next summer. I'm wondering if you could tell me any differences in the rooms? I will need to have connecting rooms, as we will have a 7 and 11 year old with us. Is there any real difference in rooms between the Violin and Cello deck? Did you find that if you had a balcony, would you use it much? Or are the decks up top enough?

I did not see any of the other rooms or explore the Cello deck. I did use our balcony everyday and enjoyed watching the city go by and Facetiming my mom so she could see it too. I would happily do the cruise again and spend more time on the balcony :-)

I did use our balcony everyday and enjoyed watching the city go by and Facetiming my mom so she could see it too.

I'm glad that you posted this. I knew that they had Internet access on the ships but I was curious if it had the bandwidth to support video chatting (or even if it was allowed).

Calypso, thank you so much for the trip report and photos. We will board on the same Danube holiday cruise in Dec 2017 and we are so looking forward to it! This is also my first river cruise and with ABD too. I have been on Disney cruise before and I loved them!!

Calypso, thank you so much for the trip report and photos. We will board on the same Danube holiday cruise in Dec 2017 and we are so looking forward to it! This is also my first river cruise and with ABD too. I have been on Disney cruise before and I loved them!!

You are very welcome. It was quite different from a Disney cruise and different from an ABD trip. I would love to do another river cruise with ABD and am looking forward to seeing if there are any new itineraries for next year. Enjoy and hope to see pictures from your holiday river cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter