DVC Membership Perks

Henry Thomas

Earning My Ears
I am in process of closing on my first DVC resale contract. My cousin is a DVC member (purchased resale in 2015) and sold me on buying a contract.

To my understanding I do not qualify for the membership perks as purchased after 4/4/16. If I put my cousins name on the contract/timeshare is this a loophole to get the benefits?

If I put my cousins name on the contract/timeshare is this a loophole to get the benefits?

No. The points themselves are not qualified to receive benefits. You would need to be added to your cousin's contract to receive the perks.

The perks your cousin has are linked to his/her original contract. If you are not on that contract, you would not get the perks. If your cousin bought a new resale contract with you and sold their original contract, they would no longer have any perks.

IMHO buying resale is going to save you a bunch more money than the perks would provide. It's a shame that DVC went down this road but don't make it a deal breaker.

What has disappeared besides free valet parking?

Moonlight Magic events are a nice addition.

And there are far more DVC dining perks than ever before at good discounts and at good times of day. For the first time in years we didn't bother with a TIW card (we weren't going to be there enough days), but got a lot of discounts from the DVC card.

It still doesn't make buying direct worth it, IMHO, but for those who have it, its nice.

I like to say WHAT PERKS?? They are slowly disappearing. No reason to buy direct .

- Discounts at 80+ WDW restaurants
- 20% merchandise discount
- 14 Moonlight Magic events in 2018
- Annual Pass discount plus access to other limited time ticket offers
- Access to 3 members-only lounges on property
- Opportunity to participate in a variety of members-only dining events and seminars

When exactly did DVC members have better discounts & perks?

I like to say WHAT PERKS?? They are slowly disappearing. No reason to buy direct .

I got 3 free drinks, my kids got to hang out with Mickey uninterrupted for over 5 minutes, and we got free hats on our most recent cruise. Nothing crazy, but free is free. I agree that it is in no way worth buying 75 points just for those little perks though.

Free length of stay passes were included for the first few years DVC was in existence.

Sales incentive, not an owner perk.

In more recent years, buyers have received things like free 3-night cruises, AP vouchers, developer points and fast passes for buying. But those aren't membership perks either.

Free length of stay passes were included for the first few years DVC was in existence.

Obviously I like free things, but the fact that less are being offered is actually a good thing. It means that DVC is a healthy product and does not need outside incentives to entice people to enter the program. There will always be a few extra nuggets, such as a lounge or moonlight magic, in order to get people to swing towards buying direct, but I doubt you will see big expensive incentives because they just don't need to include them anymore.

In more recent years, buyers have received things like free 3-night cruises, AP vouchers, developer points and fast passes for buying. But those aren't membership perks either.
I know you know, but for those who may not, I would add:

The different types of sales incentives is how DVD chooses to market DVC when sales are not doing as well as they would like. It's an alternative to reducing the list price, which they haven't done. In fact, even in down times, they have continued to increase the list price. The incentives available now are not as lucrative as they have been in the past - no need to discount / add incentives when sales are meeting expectations. (This strategy is not unique to DVD. It appears to be the same strategy Disney uses to market the resorts. Discount as needed to get the rooms filled. Offer less when bookings are going well. Free dining, 5 for 3, % off, Kids stay/eat free are all versions of that strategy. They also reduce the supply of hotel rooms available to keep list price high by converting some to DVC).

IMO, the Membership Extras program is just another way to encourage direct sales - I appreciate that DVD makes them available to existing "qualified" members and not just new buyers.

It was also clear up front that it was a sales incentive that expired 12/31/1999.

Just purchased DVC on our 4-night cruise on the Magic last week. I had been considering it for years, but finally bit into it and bought direct - always seemed to regret not having done it. I think it is hard to justify the purchase based on the perks, or finances. The little gifts are nice, but I knew I bought into the idea, putting a priority on family time, and trust that Disney is a solid company with the only timeshare I would consider. Perhaps I will add points resale, but for now hope I made the right decision and bought from the Mouse. I must say though, I am looking forward to seeing the fireworks from the DVC lounge - it will take me back to those first trips with my sister back in the 70s when we watched from the Contemporary's hallway and MK was the only park.

- Discounts at 80+ WDW restaurants
- 20% merchandise discount
- 14 Moonlight Magic events in 2018
- Annual Pass discount plus access to other limited time ticket offers
- Access to 3 members-only lounges on property
- Opportunity to participate in a variety of members-only dining events and seminars

When exactly did DVC members have better discounts & perks?
Epcot ‘s Lounge
The Top of the World
? Senior moment, what is the third Lounge?

Talk about Irony

DVC plasters the warning all over their website and throughout the signing documents ( and I paraphrase)

YOU ARE PURCHASING AN INTEREST IN A TIMESHARE. DO NOT PURCHASE WITH THE EXPECTATION THAT THESE MEMBER BENEFITS WILL CONTINUE.

And then DVC encourages buyers to buy a minimum number of direct points to be eligible for the aforementioned member benefits, that they’ve WARNED you NOT to expect.

And then people KNOWINGLY and INTENTIONALY purchase direct points from DVC for the sole purpose of having access to the member benefits that DVC has warned them NOT TO EXPECT.

:-):-):-)

It amuses me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter