DVC Newbie - Please Help

2prettygirl

Mouseketeer
Hi there, we are starting to explore DVC as an option for our family. We have 2 kids who are 13 and 10 so my first question is, are we crazy for joining this "late in the game"? Second, we prefer more of a beach vacation versus theme park so we would likely utilize the points for more of the beach resorts.....Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani and perhaps some of the world wide resorts out of country so would DVC be beneficial for us in this manner?

Second, when I called to gather more information, I was told that our buy in right now would make our home resort Riveria, which was not really on our radar for visiting. With that being said, would this mean that any other resort we wish to visit would only allow us to book 7 months out? I am a "planner" and typically try to book a year in advance for most vacations, my hope with DVC was to have the 11 month benefit. If I understand this correctly, we could book Riviera 11 months in advance but any other resort could only be 7 months out. What would be the likelihood of receiving another home resort or does this really matter when buying into DVC? Please explain if you can. Our typical travel time would be summer months, would 7 months out be "harder" to get a reservation with points in a typical standard room or one bedroom villa?

Also, can someone clarify the "banking" of points, just to ensure I have understood the process correctly? Let's say my family would want to vacation somewhere summer 2021, could we save our points from this year (2020), borrow points from 2022 and use 2021 points, combining all 3 years to go somewhere or can we only use the previous year and the current?

I would only buy a DVC timeshare for stays at the Disney Park resorts and only if it would save us money for our hotel stays.

:earsboy: Bill

I can’t speak to the beach resorts, I’ve never stayed there but would like to one day. However, you’re not crazy for joining this late in the game. My mom is 70 and just decided to buy in when I did.

You are correct with how banking banking and borrowing works. However, the typical recommendation is to only buy if you’re going to use your points at least every other year.

You can buy into any home resort you want other than Grand Californian. Disney has a process called ROFR where when someone sells their contract on the resale market Disney has the option of buying it back for themselves first before it goes to the new buyer. So they do have some points coming in for old resorts, however the price to buy direct at the “sold out” resorts is very high and not necessarily worth the benefits. They are still actively selling Aulani so points there would cost closer to what Rivera points would cost.

Yes depending on what time of year you go there can be issues getting what you want at 7 months out, especially if you are trying to get the lowest point rooms.

Disney will sell you other resorts if you insist that is what you want, Yes, RIV is the current resort in active sales, but I’d tell them you want a different resort if you decide to buy direct,

However, you will save a lot more buying VB or HH, and even Aulani on the resale market

Since traveling to WDW isn’t the primary reason to buy, the direct benefits would not be worth the extra cost IMO.

But, you do have it right. You only get booking advantage where you own points so anywhere else will result in 7 month booking,

So, give some thought to which one might be the best to own, given when you want to travel, and buy there.

You can buy in at other resort direct from Disney, they are just pushing Riviera right now. Aulani is currently selling too. I would buy the beach resorts resale as that will save you a ton of money over buying direct.

You can buy in at other resort direct from Disney, they are just pushing Riviera right now. Aulani is currently selling too. I would buy the beach resorts resale as that will save you a ton of money over buying direct.
How and where do I find info buying via resale?

Disney will sell you other resorts if you insist that is what you want, Yes, RIV is the current resort in active sales, but I’d tell them you want a different resort if you decide to buy direct,

However, you will save a lot more buying VB or HH, and even Aulani on the resale market

Since traveling to WDW isn’t the primary reason to buy, the direct benefits would not be worth the extra cost IMO.

But, you do have it right. You only get booking advantage where you own points so anywhere else will result in 7 month booking,

So, give some thought to which one might be the best to own, given when you want to travel, and buy there.
How and where do I find info to buy resale?

How and where do I find info buying via resale?

The DVC store sponsors this forum and they are fantastic to work with. We bought 2 of our 3 resale contracts and were by far the easiest to work with. There several others out there as well. I would start with The DVC Store (www.dvcstore.com) and check out the contracts they have. If you don't see what you need, give them a call they may be able to help you find the right one. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure DVC is a great fit if what you really want is beach vacations. There are better timeshares for that. Disney's non-theme park properties are nice, but not really above and beyond what is available elsewhere, cheaper, with a better trade network for other beaches.

You pay a premium for the Disney name.

They are not likely to be doing additional non-park resorts.

If you enjoy beach vacations, DVC is not really the right vacation purchase for you. You are better off using the money you would put towards buying DVC on cash vacations to various beach destinations like Aruba, Bermuda, Caribbean Cruising, etc.

Hi there, we are starting to explore DVC as an option for our family. We have 2 kids who are 13 and 10 so my first question is, are we crazy for joining this "late in the game"? Second, we prefer more of a beach vacation versus theme park so we would likely utilize the points for more of the beach resorts.....Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani and perhaps some of the world wide resorts out of country so would DVC be beneficial for us in this manner?

Second, when I called to gather more information, I was told that our buy in right now would make our home resort Riveria, which was not really on our radar for visiting. With that being said, would this mean that any other resort we wish to visit would only allow us to book 7 months out? I am a "planner" and typically try to book a year in advance for most vacations, my hope with DVC was to have the 11 month benefit. If I understand this correctly, we could book Riviera 11 months in advance but any other resort could only be 7 months out. What would be the likelihood of receiving another home resort or does this really matter when buying into DVC? Please explain if you can. Our typical travel time would be summer months, would 7 months out be "harder" to get a reservation with points in a typical standard room or one bedroom villa?

Also, can someone clarify the "banking" of points, just to ensure I have understood the process correctly? Let's say my family would want to vacation somewhere summer 2021, could we save our points from this year (2020), borrow points from 2022 and use 2021 points, combining all 3 years to go somewhere or can we only use the previous year and the current?

If you enjoy beach vacations, DVC is not really the right vacation purchase for you. You are better off using the money you would put towards buying DVC on cash vacations to various beach destinations like Aruba, Bermuda, Caribbean Cruising, etc.
I agree, DVC is not the right Timeshare purchase for OP.
OP, if your goal is to take Beach/tropical vacations, then perhaps you should explore timeshare systems that have more of those options? Maybe spend some time reading the timeshare users group site TUG https://tug2.com/Home.aspx to see if another system might work for you?
DVC, like all timeshare systems, is very expensive when you buy directly from the developer, however, unlike many systems, DVC is also very expensive when you buy resale, other systems can be purchased resale for far less.
The majority of DVC resorts are in WDW and that’s where the value of ownership lies. DVC works best for people who want to vacation at WDW at least every other year or, for those who want to stay routinely at one of DVC’s 3 non WDW resorts.
DVC’s only non WDW resorts are Vero Beach, Hilton Head, and Aulani in Hawaii. Other timeshare systems offer many more Beach/tropical options and many of those offerings are nicer or better sited than DVC’s non WDW 3 resorts. DVC trades through RCI, but so do many other timeshare programs.
Edited to add that DVC has a 4th non WDW property - VGC @ DL, not a beach destination, sold out & very expensive to buy resale.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter