DVC Point Rental Primer

Hope it's OK to ask here - I'm in the 11 month window and considering renting. I understand the owner retains control and would have to book our DME. What happens with ADR & Fastpass+? Does the owner have to do all that for us too for the onsite time window benefits?

The reservation, room request, DME, and DDP are made by the owner, everything else is on you.

:earsboy: Bill

i assumed that paypal was a safest way to send money for dvc agreements... i have found a person to rent points from who would like a check or certified check does this sound ok? just gauging some opinions... I would obviously get referrals and they seem to have a standard rental process and rental agreement drawn up.. 50 now 50 60 days before ressie.

i assumed that paypal was a safest way to send money for dvc agreements... i have found a person to rent points from who would like a check or certified check does this sound ok? just gauging some opinions... I would obviously get referrals and they seem to have a standard rental process and rental agreement drawn up.. 50 now 50 60 days before ressie.

I don't think paypal technically allows for payments towards timeshare rentals so I'm thinking there wouldn't be any protection anyway if something went wrong.

Where do I find the rent/trade boards?

You do have to be signed in to see them. Just look 2 or 3 forums down here in the DVC section of the boards.

And to add - when I rent my preferred form of payment is a personal check as I rent far enough in advance to be certain it clears, so personally I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary. For any rentals one should do their due diligence which it sounds like you are aware of.

Great thread and I'm glad to see Granny jumping in so quick. He's one of the ones I told you will bookmark this and make it available to future posters.

I'll offer a couple of ideas -- not so much rules or "red flags," but just general thoughts on renting.

Understanding a DVC Rental
We don't often see problematic DVC rentals, and when we do they are usually misunderstandings. Unfortunately, a lot of those misunderstandings come from lack of knowledge about how DVC works and how that differs from a traditional hotel reservation -- or a DVC reservation made through Disney CRO, for that matter.

You would think that the DVC owners all have perfect understanding of their accounts, and it's the people renting reservations who don't get it. You'd be dead wrong. Too often, neither party really understands the situation well enough to be able to anticipate problem areas.

If you are renting from a DVC owner, you don't need to fully understand all of the nuances of DVC ownership. But what you do need to understand clearly is this: There are serious limitations, restrictions, and penalties on the owner in certain cancellation scenarios. Those problems vary from owner to owner, from rental to rental, and you have no way of knowing what kind of restrictions the owner is under. If you get in a position where you have to cancel a rented ressie, the owner may not be able to help you.

You don't need to know all the nuances of DVC, but you need to CLEARLY understand what your DVC owner's cancellation/rescheduling policy is for your particular reservation. An owner who tells you, "Don't worry, if there is a problem, I'll work with you." is speaking in code. That's code for "I don't have a clue."

Be sure you fully understand what will happen if your plans change. That is critical, and if you are not comfortable with the answer, a DVC rental is probably not for you. DVC rentals do not work well for people whose plans are not firmly set.

Also understand that the reservation remains entirely under the control of the owner until your checkin, and you cannot make any changes to it. Any changes, and any additions like the Dining Plan or Magical Express will have to be made through Member Services by the owner.

Fraud
As luck would have it, my background is in law enforcement (retired now) and my specialty for the last 15 years has been fraud prevention, detection, and investigation. So hopefully I can offer some advice in this area.

The first thing you need to know is that fraud almost never occurs in DVC rentals. In the entire history of the DIS Rent/Trade board, I am only aware of four fraud situations, three of which unfortunately victimized people renting DVC ressies from an unscrupulous person. The other case was some time ago and involved an owner who got defrauded by someone renting from them.

Rather than bore you with all sorts of do's and don'ts and "red flags," I'll just give you two concepts to remember:

1. "Fraud looks a lot like stupid" That's a quote from a good friend of mine, and it's my favorite tip about fraud. If something doesn't look right, feel right, sound right, taste right, or smell right...that does NOT mean it's fraud, but you'd better perk up. If something seems "stupid," keep asking questions until you are completely sure you understand it, and you are completely satisfied that it's okay.

2. "If you are not comfortable, walk away." Nervousness and discomfort are our body's physiological way of telling us something is not right. It's a protection mechanism that all humans have had since the dawn of time. Uneasiness may not be an accurate indication that something is wrong...but those feelings are amazingly accurate indicators that something is not right for you. If you get those feelings about any financial transaction, just walk away. Yes, it is possible you will miss an opportunity, but there will be other opportunities. You will never get hurt walking away from any transaction you are not comfortable with.

Good luck. Do your homework well, and have a great DVC vacation!
Great post! Thanks for taking the time.

Does renting out some portion of your points interfere with having a reservation of your own? Say I had a trip booked 10/8/16-10/15/16 and used a portion of my UY points. Could I rent out the remainder points even if the renter wanted to go at the same time? Are there any limitations to renting some but not all of your points?

Does renting out some portion of your points interfere with having a reservation of your own? Say I had a trip booked 10/8/16-10/15/16 and used a portion of my UY points. Could I rent out the remainder points even if the renter wanted to go at the same time? Are there any limitations to renting some but not all of your points?

Points are taken from your account when each reservation is made. One reservation has nothing to do with another.

So to answer your question, no it doesn't interfere, yes the renter can go at the same time, no limitation other than the hidden 20 reservation limit per rolling 12 month period.

I don't think paypal technically allows for payments towards timeshare rentals so I'm thinking there wouldn't be any protection anyway if something went wrong.

You do have to be signed in to see them. Just look 2 or 3 forums down here in the DVC section of the boards.

I'm signed in and still don't see them. Didn't use to be this hard to find it.

Would like to rent for the first time - just to confirm - the reservation would be in my name, but the owner retains control over the reservation until I check-in. Which technically means they could cancel the reservation after I have paid them??

Would like to rent for the first time - just to confirm - the reservation would be in my name, but the owner retains control over the reservation until I check-in. Which technically means they could cancel the reservation after I have paid them??

Correct

Wow - yes, I've learned a level of trust needs to be in place (for both renter and owner). It seems that for the most part, the transaction goes well for both parties. I'm such a planner - and a bit of a control freak - I might just drive myself nuts for months worrying about it until we arrive!! Would not hesitate to rent from a DVC owner that I know, however any of those friends always use their points or give them to family members.

I read all the suggestions to first-time renters on this board (so helpful). I assume asking an owner for a reference won't offend them?

I have rented my points out many times to pay for our DCL vacations and you are correct, the owner has full control. That being said I use a contract for all of my point rentals to give the renter some piece of mind, and to also giving me the security of making sure you know whats due when, and what happens if you need to cancel your vacation. And the last time I rented was the first time I was asked for a reference and the first person I asked accommodated so don't be afraid to ask.

Thank you for the clarification - as I mentioned, everything that I've been reading about renting directly from an owner (as opposed to going thru a reputable agency) emphasizes the need to do some "investigating" to make certain the person is legit - truly does have DVC points to rent, is in good standing and also to ask for references. I just wanted to make certain that I wasn't going to upset someone with the request. The contract also offers some security - which is great. Next step is to start stalking the boards looking for owners who want to rent out points and hoping I can find a good fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!