DVC Polynesian 100 pts direct

Isabelle12345

DIS Veteran
I am looking more seriously into DVC and while I was considering BLT for convenience to MK, I am now thinking of Poly for the pull down bed (my kids would love to have separate bedding options)
Will I be able to purchase a 100 pts contract direct or will Disney force me to buy more points?
I want to buy 100 pts direct because I want the flexibility of going to new DVC resorts and then I might add a resale contract to the poly afterwards
Thanks for your help!

You can but you might be put on a wait list to buy direct. Probably wouldn’t wait long. Current price to buy direct is $245 per point. Understandably their are benefits of buying direct, but re-sell contracts are going in the range of $135-150 and would be a large savings.

Yes, if they have the points, they will sell them to you. When you are dealing with a sold out resort, you may have to wait, as they can only offer you what they have still.

As mentioned, resale will save you a lot on Poly. Have you considered RIV? 100 direct and then get some Poly points resale?

Will give you benefits and probably not cost that much more than just 100 Poly direct.

Of course, no sense buying a resort you don’t want either.

It doesn't make sense to buy into a timeshare location with 46 years left on the contract, for an extra bedding surface your kid will probably outgrow in the next 3 to 5 years.

If you like Poly and want to stay there, that's great, go ahead on. But making a long term decision based on something you'll maybe use 2 or 3 times isn't the right move.

I'm new to this world as well, and am currently awaiting the ROFR process on a 100 point Poly contract on the resale market. Personally, if I was set on buying direct, I would buy 100 at RIV for $60 less per point, and add on with Poly. My contract is over $100 less per point than buying direct, and any time I want to stay at Riviera, my plan is to rent my Poly points and use that cash to rent or transfer RIV points.

I'm new to this world as well, and am currently awaiting the ROFR process on a 100 point Poly contract on the resale market. Personally, if I was set on buying direct, I would buy 100 at RIV for $60 less per point, and add on with Poly. My contract is over $100 less per point than buying direct, and any time I want to stay at Riviera, my plan is to rent my Poly points and use that cash to rent or transfer RIV points.

I think this is a good strategy for RIV and the newer resorts, especially when someone isnt 110% sure it will be a resort one wants to own.

Hi! We just bought 100 points at the Poly direct at the end of October 2019. Our guide didn't tell us about a waitlist or a possibility of a waitlist at all when we took the tour three days prior to buying. I did call to set up a tour a few weeks in advance and noted I was only interested in the Poly, so not sure if that meant our guide tried to scrape some up via ROFR? Either way, no wait and points available the second the ink dried. ;)

I travel with my mom, husband and 4 year old and we liked the Poly because we could easily get two studios, it had the Stitch pulldown bed which my kiddo LOVES, and it has quick monorail to Magic Kingdom or a quick walk to the TTC and monorail to Epcot. Mama likes it because rum dole whips. :) The Poly is the one we keep coming back to and the one where we have all the pics of my daughter in front of "statue friend" in the lobby from less than 1 year old to just now on her 4th birthday. We will never be disappointed to "have" to stay at this home resort.

(Direct vs Resale is another question, but not one that you asked. I did add on 80 more Poly points resale at ~$100 less a point. But I went in half with my mom on the direct contract and we both were thirsty for that Blue card.)

Good luck! :)

Hi! We just bought 100 points at the Poly direct at the end of October 2019. Our guide didn't tell us about a waitlist or a possibility of a waitlist at all when we took the tour three days prior to buying. I did call to set up a tour a few weeks in advance and noted I was only interested in the Poly, so not sure if that meant our guide tried to scrape some up via ROFR? Either way, no wait and points available the second the ink dried. ;)

I travel with my mom, husband and 4 year old and we liked the Poly because we could easily get two studios, it had the Stitch pulldown bed which my kiddo LOVES, and it has quick monorail to Magic Kingdom or a quick walk to the TTC and monorail to Epcot. Mama likes it because rum dole whips. :) The Poly is the one we keep coming back to and the one where we have all the pics of my daughter in front of "statue friend" in the lobby from less than 1 year old to just now on her 4th birthday. We will never be disappointed to "have" to stay at this home resort.

(Direct vs Resale is another question, but not one that you asked. I did add on 80 more Poly points resale at ~$100 less a point. But I went in half with my mom on the direct contract and we both were thirsty for that Blue card.)

Good luck! :)

Congrats! If you didn’t have to wait, it is a good sign they have Poly points. It is not always the case that people have to waitlist, it’s just something to realize could be needed when buying sold out resorts direct.

Sometimes, having both direct and resale points can give you the best of all worlds!

Thanks all for tour replies! I am mostly interested in Poly because of the location (I am only considering buying in Monorail resorts)
And I love the dining options at the Poly!!! I was initially considering Bay Lake Tower but for almost the same price point (+/- 10-15$) the studios are MUCH smaller (and annual dues are also about the same) so Poly just makes much more sense!
my kids are currently 2 and 5 so I think we would use that daybed for a while still (unless it is that small?)
As to direct va resale, aside from the discounts and possibility to use at other resorts, is there another advantage? Because for almost 100$ more per point I would need to buy A LOT of annual passes 😆
@slashfemme , why did you choose to buy direct if I may ask?

Thanks all for tour replies! I am mostly interested in Poly because of the location (I am only considering buying in Monorail resorts)
And I love the dining options at the Poly!!! I was initially considering Bay Lake Tower but for almost the same price point (+/- 10-15$) the studios are MUCH smaller (and annual dues are also about the same) so Poly just makes much more sense!
my kids are currently 2 and 5 so I think we would use that daybed for a while still (unless it is that small?)
As to direct va resale, aside from the discounts and possibility to use at other resorts, is there another advantage? Because for almost 100$ more per point I would need to buy A LOT of annual passes 😆

I read above about not buying at Poly counting on your kids liking the pulldown one forever, but they do have the couch pullout, too. I only have the one kiddo (and that's the plan forever - heh) so I imagine she'll transition to the couch bed when bigger. Not sure if your kids are going to want to sleep in the same bed... Poly only had studios and insane bungalows, so that is something to think about. But you can always trade out points to stay at other resorts with two bedrooms/more room when you need it! The daybed is small... maybe a few inches shorter than a twin mattress? I can fit, but I don't want to sleep there at 5'4" ;)

And definitely like another poster said you can rent out your resale points and use cash at new resorts. Or buy direct at another resort with more room configurations and trade into Poly or any new resorts down the line with points. I love that DVC is so flexible that you can actually never stay at your home resort and just keep trying new places. :)

We bought direct at one of the most currently expensive direct resorts because we are emotional animals. Sigh. DVC marketing worked on my mom and I. We are even FL residents, so we already get the Gold pass option. I guess we really wanted to feel like we were part of the club, and the option to attend moonlight magic or whatever other things that may come down the line. And my mom wanted for her granddaughter to have the direct membership passed on years down the road. Definitely not a smart financial decision - this was 100% intangible/emotional. ;) Though it does bring me great joy to gaze upon the blue card and sign up for the MM events.

As to direct va resale, aside from the discounts and possibility to use at other resorts, is there another advantage? Because for almost 100$ more per point I would need to buy A LOT of annual passes

You lose the ability to trade for non-DVC Disney resorts and cruises (bad value), you lose a merch discount, you lose Moonlight Magic (if it continues, and if your trips even line up - and the money you save could buy After Hours tickets or dessert parties or whatev for a while). But the AP Gold is really the big economic thing, and FOMO on future resorts and "being a member!!!" are the big emotional things.

Resale points can be traded via cruise programs for cruises. They can also be willed to others if you die.

I do get that... not sure it’s worth 10000$ though...
Although if they want to limit resale, maybe they will keep increasing benefits for blue card members?
Every benefit for blue card members has to come out of profits. They cannot be dues supported. So the profit motive is going to be the limiter on how much they do there.

I have been reading a lot about DVC and a question popped to mind
I read about DVC reallocating points to modify the number of points required for a reservation
If I am buying Poly looking for studios, will I get priced out quickly since the only other option is the bungalows? My question being: do they reallocate points within the same resort or within all DVC resorts?

I read about DVC reallocating points to modify the number of points required for a reservation
If I am buying Poly looking for studios, will I get priced out quickly since the only other option is the bungalows? My question being: do they reallocate points within the same resort or within all DVC resorts?

Only within a resort. But, there is language that I think makes it difficult to reallocate between the studios and bungalows. Possibly more within the two views.

But, given there are what, 12 bungalows and over 320 studios, I think even if they did have the legal ability to adjust..chart is supposed to stay point neutral, I think any adjustment would have to be minimal.

Based on my math, even if they lowered the bungalows by 20 points a day, that puts about 88K points to be spread back into the studios....that might raise studios by 1 point a night?

Again, I am not even sure this is legally possible, but it would have to be a substantial reduction in bungalows and I just don't see that happening!

Only within a resort. But, there is language that I think makes it difficult to reallocate between the studios and bungalows. Possibly more within the two views.

But, given there are what, 12 bungalows and over 320 studios, I think even if they did have the legal ability to adjust..chart is supposed to stay point neutral, I think any adjustment would have to be minimal.

Based on my math, even if they lowered the bungalows by 20 points a day, that puts about 88K points to be spread back into the studios....that might raise studios by 1 point a night?

Again, I am not even sure this is legally possible, but it would have to be a substantial reduction in bungalows and I just don't see that happening!
Thank you for that detailed information! It reassures me that I am not making a foolish decision choosing the Poly as my home resort!

Don’t worry about outgrowing the bed! I am 34 and sleep on it often. As long as the person is about 5’8” or less, it’s perfectly fine.

My .02 - Buy where you want to stay. We've only bought direct because we're impatient. We bought the most inexpensive. Then we bought where we thought would be more 'centrally' located. Then we finally bought where we wanted to stay but we could only afford so much so we bought just enough to use every other year. We just added on to make the last contract annually usable. Consequently buying the least expensive ended up being very expensive.

We like our homes but we use the one to trade into others - which does NOT always work well. We've never sold anything. We've never lost points and usually bank / borrow every year. Still.

My .02 - Buy where you want to stay. We've only bought direct because we're impatient. We bought the most inexpensive. Then we bought where we thought would be more 'centrally' located. Then we finally bought where we wanted to stay but we could only afford so much so we bought just enough to use every other year. We just added on to make the last contract annually usable. Consequently buying the least expensive ended up being very expensive.

We like our homes but we use the one to trade into others - which does NOT always work well. We've never sold anything. We've never lost points and usually bank / borrow every year. Still.

Such a great perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter