DVC Polynesian 100 pts direct

We are struggling with the same decision on direct vs resale. I see the significant savings on resale but there are also significant restrictions. One thing that we have added in to our equation is that we would probably want to stay at Riviera, Reflections and any other new properties that might come along at some point. Resale would not allow this. That will be come a bigger issue as 2042 when some resorts come to the end of their lives to be re-sold most likely with the same restriction on resale buyers as the new resorts now. Not sure if I am seeing things correctly or not but that extra $ spent direct is a probably more valued by those of us that do not yet have a blue card than by those owners that do.

Yes, you have a lot of good points. I think that the restriction of not staying at newer resorts,,,if one sees that as important..is a larger reason to spend more going direct than the blue card benefits.

I think it also depends on where one wants to stay. But, as mentioned, one can buy 100 points at RIV now for stays there and future resorts, get the blue card, and then add on via resale for addition points if one needs It.

Yes, those points and the RiV points would only be combinable at 7 months for L14 resorts, but it does give a way to get both.

However, I know 2042 is a ways off, but you are right...some very popular resorts will be off limits and if you are in the beginning stages of a DVC member, that is important.

I know when I bought in 2009, it cost me about $5k to buy BLT direct over SSR resale at the time. Why? Because it gave me home resort advantage.

Over the cost of ownership, spending more for direct now doesnt end up that much over the long run if one sees the benefits of what one gets, For example, BLT is going on average $130. For 200 points, you may get RIV around $175...so for $9k, you get new resorts, and blue card benefits. Plus the ability to stay at L14.

Of course, if you are looking at SSR or AKV at home resorts, then it’s a lot more, and in that case maybe a split between resale and direct makes sense.

Good luck!

Thanks all for tour replies! I am mostly interested in Poly because of the location (I am only considering buying in Monorail resorts)
And I love the dining options at the Poly!!! I was initially considering Bay Lake Tower but for almost the same price point (+/- 10-15$) the studios are MUCH smaller (and annual dues are also about the same) so Poly just makes much more sense!
my kids are currently 2 and 5 so I think we would use that daybed for a while still (unless it is that small?)
As to direct va resale, aside from the discounts and possibility to use at other resorts, is there another advantage? Because for almost 100$ more per point I would need to buy A LOT of annual passes 😆
@slashfemme , why did you choose to buy direct if I may ask?

Just curious when do you primarily plan to travel?

This might not even happen for direct points. Disney could build some new fancy pants California property, or whatever, and restrict it to just to those owners.

They've already created three classes of members, blue card, white card, and whatever color RIV-resale card will be. What difference is another few classes?

I don’t think that will happen, but remember, every change that DVC has made has always grandfathered in current owners.

The moves have all revolved around making resale purchases different than direct so trying to sell something like Reflections or any future resort..as a stand alone resort....no trading even for direct..would not sell well.

They are mostly available from middle of January until middle of September at 7 month mark...that doesn't mean it won't change as time goes on...but in general they seem to be there, and are a little easier I feel like to get right at 7 months even in tougher times, because people who want 1-bedrooms or 2-bedrooms at other resorts swap out right at 7 months.

Mostly in the spring or in the summer

You shouldn't have too many issues booking Poly at 7 months during those months then if you bought another resort direct. Summer is traditionally pretty easy to bounce around anywhere at 7 months...obviously things could change over time...but I think you'll be fine there.

This might not even happen for direct points. Disney could build some new fancy pants California property, or whatever, and restrict it to just to those owners.

This would be really easy to do. They could build a property and not have it join BVT at all. EOT, done.

I don’t think that will happen, but remember, every change that DVC has made has always grandfathered in current owners.

The moves have all revolved around making resale purchases different than direct so trying to sell something like Reflections or any future resort..as a stand alone resort....no trading even for direct..would not sell well.

Maybe. The new resale restrictions shocked me.

That made DVC into every other timeshare, and even more lockdown is the logical next step. At this point, I wouldn't be trusting Disney to let anyone into any future resort. Oh, that's an orange card resort. Oh, you have to pay the pink point fee.

I would expect HUGE change planned when the BCV/BWV resorts age out. That matters to me when I have a Poly contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter