DVC Travel Insurance

wn01aa

DIS Veteran
hi.

Just wondering if I book a trip for my parents (or anyone else) and I purchase the usual $89 travel insurance will it cover them even if I am not on the reservation?

Thanks

It is my understanding that the insurance covers only if the member is in the room. I tried reading our policy and that is the way I read it. You might want to call Travelex to verify.

Hi Jean another question? Does the insurance cover trips on the calendar year? Say from Jan 1-Dec 31? I've always had a problem because my UY starts in August and September so trips overlap calendar years.

We have used www.vacationrentalinsurance.com instead of DVC insurance because its more straight forward. It depends on what coverages you are looking for...we found them from CSA TRAVEL PROTECTION which we have used for travel insurance in the past. CSA is the insurance provider behind vacationrentalinsurance.com.

Hi Jean another question? Does the insurance cover trips on the calendar year? Say from Jan 1-Dec 31? I've always had a problem because my UY starts in August and September so trips overlap calendar years.
The insurance is based on your points, so it goes by use year. If you are using points from more than one use year for a trip then you need to buy insurance for both use years. If the points for your trip are from one use year, even if the trip is Dec. to Jan, then you only need to buy insurance for one use year.
Travelex is a good deal for us because it is cheap, it covers all our trips from a use year's points for just one premium, it covers airfare (and we always fly), it is not priced by age like some travel insurance (and we are OLD), and if you buy it when dues are due in January then the pre-existing condition clause is waived. That last one is a big deal for us because DH has so many health issues and travel insurers can often use pre-existing condition clauses to avoid paying claims. I wish that Travelex would pay for anyone using our points because we give about half our points away every year, but I don't think it does. We have only filed a claim once for airfare but it was for 2 first class tickets and Travelex paid with no problem (after we had a doctor fill our paperwork). DH was hospitalized for a few days during our trip last month but he was discharged in time to make our flight home so we didn't have to file a claim. Still it was comforting to know that Travelex would have helped with costs of changing plane tickets and for costs for me if we had been forced to extend our stay.

The insurance is based on your points, so it goes by use year. If you are using points from more than one use year for a trip then you need to buy insurance for both use years. If the points for your trip are from one use year, even if the trip is Dec. to Jan, then you only need to buy insurance for one use year.
Travelex is a good deal for us because it is cheap, it covers all our trips from a use year's points for just one premium, it covers airfare (and we always fly), it is not priced by age like some travel insurance (and we are OLD), and if you buy it when dues are due in January then the pre-existing condition clause is waived. That last one is a big deal for us because DH has so many health issues and travel insurers can often use pre-existing condition clauses to avoid paying claims. I wish that Travelex would pay for anyone using our points because we give about half our points away every year, but I don't think it does. We have only filed a claim once for airfare but it was for 2 first class tickets and Travelex paid with no problem (after we had a doctor fill our paperwork). DH was hospitalized for a few days during our trip last month but he was discharged in time to make our flight home so we didn't have to file a claim. Still it was comforting to know that Travelex would have helped with costs of changing plane tickets and for costs for me if we had been forced to extend our stay.
Thanks Jean. Now I know why I have trouble using it. Let's say I use points from my Sept UY and I plan trips in October and May. Those trips fall into my UY BUT if I want to pay for it in January for the pre-existing condition exemption, I will miss covering both of my trips with the one premium. Am I reading this right?

When you pay in January you are still paying for your use year. When you talk with MS you tell them what use year you want to pay for. Your confirmation will state the use year, e.g. Sep. 1, 2016 - Aug. 31, 2017, if you had paid this past January for 2016 points dues and insurance. Then all trips you take using 2016 points will be covered. I actually always buy one year ahead in case I end up borrowing points, so I have already paid for 2016 and 2017 points insurance
I think I am doing a lousy job of explaining this so maybe someone else will chime in.

It is my understanding that the insurance covers only if the member is in the room. I tried reading our policy and that is the way I read it. You might want to call Travelex to verify.
hmmm, I may want to double check but when I got the travel insurance they told me it covered anyone using my points on the reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!