DVC trip cancelled - without any notification

I received an email cancellation from Disney today that my AKL booked with DVC points memorial weekend trip has need cancelled (May 24-26). So they are sending emails too

I received an email cancellation from Disney today that my AKL booked with DVC points memorial weekend trip has need cancelled (May 24-26). So they are sending emails too

Yours is the first one I have see this far out for DVC and that got an email,

I wonder if they are going to catch up and be on the same timeframe as WDW which has been a few weeks ahead of them.

Are you kidding? Have you read anywhere that WDW is open? Why would you think you would still be going? Have you not cancelled your flight yet?
I agree that’s its poor form to not notify guests with more than a few days notice. Some of us are holding on to reservations because our trips are celebrations of some form - for my family it’s a celebration of a graduation. My child isn’t going to get a prom or grad ceremony and has missed half of the senior year of high school. I’m holding on to my ressie too hoping we can make one thing happen that she has counted on for 2 years! No one wants to be disappointed but seriously less than a week is just cruel. Disney knows whether they can have a resort ready more than a week out, so just tell people sooner! As for parks, I get that might be modified or even not open and that may be unpredictable until the last minute, but c’mon a hotel? I feel like they know more than 3-5 days in advance.

And if it’s a matter of not enough employees to handle the volume of that, what about hiring back some who were furloughed to help? There are lots of people who need jobs!

Ugh.
I didn't say, anywhere, I was disappointed in having my vacation canceled.
And "you just heard about the pandemic" is just plain rude.

This is about customer service and understanding complex policies. It's very hard to get through to customer service. A cancellation should come with a confirmation notification. Not a change in status in my account that shows NOTHING except a bunch of points moved around.

And as it turns out, they did respond to an email, and the policy is not what I expected, and I will lose all 300 points for the current use year and the 133 banked from last year. 433 points. Gone. They expire on August 1 and there is no way I will be able to travel and use those points even if the resorts open for July. I was told to deposit then into RCI. I never had any interest in using my DVC for RCI timeshares.

Ugh.

This is about customer service and understanding complex policies. It's very hard to get through to customer service. A cancellation should come with a confirmation notification. Not a change in status in my account that shows NOTHING except a bunch of points moved around.

And as it turns out, they did respond to an email, and the policy is not what I expected, and I will lose all 300 points for the current use year and the 133 banked from last year. 433 points. Gone. They expire on August 1 and there is no way I will be able to travel and use those points even if the resorts open for July. I was told to deposit then into RCI. I never had any interest in using my DVC for RCI timeshares.
That stinks you are losing so many points. I would still put them into RCI h there are a lot of nice resorts on there that maybe you can get a staycation a little closer to home so they don’t go to waste. Although I have a feeling getting stays through rci will also be difficult as all timeshares are in the same boat.

But we have been talking non-stop on this issue for over a month now. Everyday, collectively, we get more information by working together to gather what we have been told by DVC.
Naturally customer service is going to be at reduced levels - they don't even have enough staff to answer the phones now, let alone if they sent out a massive wave of emails to tell everyone to contact them! I am quite surprised that over the course of this pandemic, you presumed that DVC would just reach out to you. Most owners have been frantically trying to contact DVC and have figured out Plan B, C, D, etc.

you say, "And as it turns out, they did respond to an email, and the policy is not what I expected, "
What policy did you expect ? They can't continue to honor borrowing and banking the way that they used to anymore, not until they work through 3 months of "lost" points in the system. And the primary intent of DVC points is their Use Year, not the added extra feature of banking and borrowing. I think they are bending over backwards to still accommodate letting points be banked at 50% of the next use year's points needed for a trip. RCI is an option that you are choosing not to take - don't put it on DVC that they didn't try to satisfy the value of your points by offering the RCI option.

I agree that’s its poor form to not notify guests with more than a few days notice. Some of us are holding on to reservations because our trips are celebrations of some form - for my family it’s a celebration of a graduation. My child isn’t going to get a prom or grad ceremony and has missed half of the senior year of high school. I’m holding on to my ressie too hoping we can make one thing happen that she has counted on for 2 years! No one wants to be disappointed but seriously less than a week is just cruel. Disney knows whether they can have a resort ready more than a week out, so just tell people sooner! As for parks, I get that might be modified or even not open and that may be unpredictable until the last minute, but c’mon a hotel? I feel like they know more than 3-5 days in advance.

And if it’s a matter of not enough employees to handle the volume of that, what about hiring back some who were furloughed to help? There are lots of people who need jobs!
What’s so funny Marcy?

But we have been talking non-stop on this issue for over a month now. Everyday, collectively, we get more information by working together to gather what we have been told by DVC.
Naturally customer service is going to be at reduced levels - they don't even have enough staff to answer the phones now, let alone if they sent out a massive wave of emails to tell everyone to contact them! I am quite surprised that over the course of this pandemic, you presumed that DVC would just reach out to you. Most owners have been frantically trying to contact DVC and have figured out Plan B, C, D, etc.

you say, "And as it turns out, they did respond to an email, and the policy is not what I expected, "
What policy did you expect ? They can't continue to honor borrowing and banking the way that they used to anymore, not until they work through 3 months of "lost" points in the system. And the primary intent of DVC points is their Use Year, not the added extra feature of banking and borrowing. I think they are bending over backwards to still accommodate letting points be banked at 50% of the next use year's points needed for a trip. RCI is an option that you are choosing not to take - don't put it on DVC that they didn't try to satisfy the value of your points by offering the RCI option.
I never said anything about banking or borrowing I’m talking about compounding a lot of other disappointments in the life of my senior. yes, there are bigger problems in this world, but I still have my own and laughing at me is rude and shows a complete lack of empathy. And it really shouldn’t be too much to ask to have more than 3-5 days of notice on the resort (dvc). They know more than 3 days out if that resort is opening or not. I’d rather be disappointed a week or two in advance than to get my hopes up, pack up, and then be let down at the last minute staring at suitcases I have to unpack because that’s how last minute the cancellation was.

I never said anything about banking or borrowing I’m talking about compounding a lot of other disappointments in the life of my senior. yes, there are bigger problems in this world, but I still have my own and laughing at me is rude and shows a complete lack of empathy. And it really shouldn’t be too much to ask to have more than 3-5 days of notice on the resort (dvc). They know more than 3 days out if that resort is opening or not. I’d rather be disappointed a week or two in advance than to get my hopes up, pack up, and then be let down at the last minute staring at suitcases I have to unpack because that’s how last minute the cancellation was.

We do understand your disappointment, But, I think some of the posts are referring to the fact that WDW and resorts are closed until further notice.

As long as there has been no notice with an opening date, the assumption should be things are still shut down, regardless of the fact your reservation was still there

DVC was not canceling except week to week, which they stared. I took that to mean that members didn’t have to worry about it themselves...ie: losing the points, not as a sign that it meant if it wasn’t canceled by them yet, it indicated the trip was on,

Park hours right now are gone until 5/31 which means parks will not be open before then. While not an official announcement, it does give insight into what may be happening.

I also believe that if DVC canceled way early and all of a sudden things open, owners might have a case if they couldn’t get things back.

Yours is the first one I have see this far out for DVC and that got an email,

I wonder if they are going to catch up and be on the same timeframe as WDW which has been a few weeks ahead of them.

ok so it’s been a really long week... the cancellation I got was not for my AKL KV DVC reservation. I read it too quickly and when I went back and looked at it today it was for my animal kingdom kidani village- Sanaa dining reservation for that weekend. :oops::badpc:

7 days is fine, but OP said "a few days" so I'm thinking that means 3? That's cutting it a little close! I don't want to cancel my trip but I also don't want to pack just to unpack. Give me at least a week's notice for goodness sake!

So what days of the week are they canceling? Like if I have a Saturday arrival, am I not going to know until the Monday of that week? And what if they closed for part of my reservation but it's not determined if they will be for some of the days? Will they just cancel everything?

Our vacation is in June and now I see what you mean that all of May has been wiped out for park hours. I just don't think this trip is going to happen. If I see a single day in June cleared off the Disney schedule, I'm bailing.

What a mess!
Under normal circumstances, yes. Everybody is aware what is going on with the world by this point, especially those who have expensive vacations planned. It's not a surprise that a trip this week wasn't going to happen, even if it still showed in the system.

I still believe Disney has to know more than 3-5 days out if they absolutely cannot open a dvc resort. I don’t think, even given today’s circumstances that a 7-10 day notice is an unrealistic expectation. But I appreciate those who I can debate this with without it being hateful or rude. Its just really disappointing when people come on these boards just to make snarky comments or try to make someone feel stupid.

I still believe Disney has to know more than 3-5 days out if they absolutely cannot open a dvc resort. I don’t think, even given today’s circumstances that a 7-10 day notice is an unrealistic expectation. But I appreciate those who I can debate this with without it being hateful or rude. Its just really disappointing when people come on these boards just to make snarky comments or try to make someone feel stupid.
I'm uncertain if the snarky comments include mine. Truly didn't mean it that way. Just that with everything up in the air right now, it's not surprising or misleading the way it would be under normal circumstances. It's a challenging time. I'd rather cut businesses some slack on things that in the big picture don't make much difference.

I can’t take this post seriously... it must a joke.

Ugh.

The faq about the closure on the dvc website says that you can still bank the current points if the reservation was canceled due to the closure. I think you should call them.

Attachments

• 2C358CB4-1C26-4F48-BA57-8C9C0D33D784.jpeg
    2C358CB4-1C26-4F48-BA57-8C9C0D33D784.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 4
I'm uncertain if the snarky comments include mine. Truly didn't mean it that way. Just that with everything up in the air right now, it's not surprising or misleading the way it would be under normal circumstances. It's a challenging time. I'd rather cut businesses some slack on things that in the big picture don't make much difference.
No not you :) I’m ok with different viewpoints, I’m not ok with rude and demeaning people. And if it was just a vacation maybe it wouldn’t bother me so much. But it’s my child’s senior trip and let’s face it the class of 2020 has had a lot of disappointment. I would just rather be disappointed again before our bags are packed. But apparently I’m not allowed to feel that way based on reactions on this board. (Again not you)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter