DVC Trust Eroding - Trust Thermocline

What is scary about their lack of wanting to pay for maintenance is the fact that it is safety. A financial incentive not to take an attraction down could prove deadly one day.

I wonder how much of this is the fact things always change at Disney. For example, I'm sure people were upset when the Disney Institute was closed, or WESTCOt was cancelled, or the catastrophe that was the original California Adventure, etc. etc.

I wonder if there were many furious SSR owners when Pleasure Island closed... I could imagine several people buying in to be able to stay at the clubs all night and then stumble home after celebrating New Years or whatever...

The fact is this company is always changing, and will always follow the money...

I do worry about the future direction of Disney, but I think as long as there is an emphasis on short term results, which won't change under Peltz or these other groups by the way, Disney is doomed.

stumble home after celebrating New Years or whatever...
it was New Years every night!

but yeah, some serious financial strain on the company should inspire some changes, plus (like others have mentioned) the impending Epic Universe down the street might be an eye opener once it’s actually up and running (though it should be now, but whaddaya gonna do?)

It's kind of the story of the parks though.... Go big on investments, then overextend and cut back, and hope nobody notices. Then a few years later realize you have to do huge things to fix this place.

I have a lot of thoughts that I didn't get a chance to type out.

- If I have read correctly, when BLT was first sold, it had an established point chart and people bought in based on that. Then soon after, DVC changed the point chart to rebalance weekends/weekdays which meant a lot of new BLT owners were short on points for the trips they planned out when purchasing contracts. DVC reluctantly lowered the # of points for add-on so BLT owners could add on.
The total sum of all the points (all rooms/all dates) cannot change once declared, not unless new inventory/points are added. However at any time the points within may be shuffled around. That is not new or nefarious. It does not happen often, but at any time .....seasons can be changed... rooms can be changed.... values for weekdays vs weekends can change. As long as the overall total sum does not change then that has been in the contract from the beginning.

Buying the exact # of points to rent a 1 bedroom standard view at October every year (just for example) is not wise.... those point chart categories could change at any time, and you may find not having enough or too little if a reallocation happens.

Last edited:
For me, the straw that broke this camel’s back was VGF2. It’s really impacted our ability to get DLX studios (have no interest in the hotel rooms). I never thought when we purchased back in 2013 that our VGF points would be SAP…
The situation with the FLoridian was interesting, those new room offerings changed the inventory and changed the dynamic of renting DVC at that Resort.

It is interesting to see what rooms are the "hot" property.... At AKV (where I own) you have much less chance of getting a studio (value or club) than a 1 bedroom... why because they are all 2 bedrooms lock-offs and the studios are much more popular and go first. . Each resort has their booking dynamics and poplar room categories.

I purchased 2009. Since then I have seem more DVC related perks: Moonlight Madness.... Lounges specific to members. At the same time certain things more general Disney related have changed... Magical Express... sending packages to the resort.... resort check in. Some of those suck and are on DIsney for sure, but are not DVC. Overall my 'trust' in DVC has not eroded. I understand the contract I signed. I purchased direct so no resale issues. New contracts or resorts are way out of my price range, so I do not plan on purchasing another contract. I was so happy to buy in at under a $100 a point, and purchased enough points at the time so I have a little flexibility, but not enough that I don't use them all or tend to borrow ahead.... prolly could have used a hundred more, but oh well.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter