DVC with Senior Parents

dvcmom3

Earning My Ears
Thinking of taking my parents to Disney World in early December and could use some advice. My parents are in their 80s and I am wondering which DVC resort would be the best for them as far as proximity to transportation. They know the walking involved as they have been in the past with us to OKW (which they loved) but my home resort is BCV and not so sure that's the best option. Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

Thinking of taking my parents to Disney World in early December and could use some advice. My parents are in their 80s and I am wondering which DVC resort would be the best for them as far as proximity to transportation. They know the walking involved as they have been in the past with us to OKW (which they loved) but my home resort is BCV and not so sure that's the best option. Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thank you!
I think Beach Club would be fine, the resort is much more compact compared to OKW. I would definitely recommend asking for a handicapped room and close to an elevator (if on upper floors) that should eliminate some walking...I would also recommend asking to be near or in the main house. The boats are great to get to both EPCOT and HS, quick and little walking. I would definitely rent scooters or wheelchairs so they aren't on their feet all day...or make sure you plan breaks out of the heat, like dining reservations. Overall I think BCV and Boardwalk would be fantastic options just because they are super close to 2 parks.

MK resorts are nice, but you are only close to 1 park and pretty far away from all other parks, so transportation is dependent upon buses to the other 3 parks...if you do stay at those resorts I would try to avoid taking the monorail to EPCOT because it's a pain to unload and re-load at TTC for people in wheelchairs/older individuals.

It this late date, what ever you can get. DVC is about booked solid, except a day here and there during the first 2 week of December.

Hoping you are planning for 2019. If you don't have something already booked for early December 2018, your choices will be very limited.

I think BCV will be just fine. Plan on taking your time, riding the buses (except for EPCOT, of course) and just going with the flow. There are so many Holiday activities to enjoy (especially at EPCOT), that as far as rides go, you probably won't need to do much more than your FP+ choices.

If for 2018, you have such limited options already I don't think this question is fair.

Depends on what they like to do. What are their limitations, walking, ECV. Do they like the parks, shops, landscaping, watching people? Do they get over heated, take naps, spend time in the room? How are they in the crowds, DS?

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks so much for your input! I had checked this am and there was availability for my dates at BCV so, based on the responses, I snagged it before it was gone! BCV is great for my husband and me because we love to be able to walk to Epcot and the Studios. I really do appreciate the reassurances that this resort would be fine for them and will call and request one closer to the elevator and not at the end of one of the never-ending hallways! Thanks again!

Have a wonderful time dvcmom3! :goodvibes

Anyone else reading I just wanted to add that PVB is an excellent choice for anyone in a wheelchair. So easy with the monorail there for both the MK area and Epcot. Not to mention the ferry TTC to MK is a great choice as well to get back to PVB.

My mother has passed away but it gives me a smile to think of how well she was taken care of by the PVB CMs and every single time she got on/off the monorail. Exceptional monorail staff on both routes. Brings tears to my eyes how lovely they all were.

My Mom was in her 80s and loved OKW, her last trip she was 86 years old, we generally requested to be near a bus stop, and the last couple of years got first floor units. Be aware that first floor at OKW increases the chance of a medical modified room, studios may not have a tub, only a roll-in shower, but it was still good for us. One bedroom and larger units will have the jetted tub and a stand alone shower.

Have you considered renting scooters for them? We've taken my aunt with us on a couple trips and rented one for her. She was pretty resistant and self conscience at first, but once she got in it she loved it. It allowed her to go at our pace all day long. The last trip we rented one from a non-Disney company so she had it the whole time and she really appreciated being able to take it in the resort and hallways. Of course, you either need someone young/strong enough to lift it and put it in the trunk or you need to take WDW transportation. But staying at BCV you are close enough to scooter to two parks already.

Last edited:
As others have said, I think that they will love BCV. I own at BWV and love the boat launches and the very wide sidewalks that circle the lake from Epcot and DHS and to BWV, BCV and Swan and Dolphin. And they can take the bus to AK and MK.

I don't know if this will help, but I will tell you my experiences over the years.

When I first starting using a cane to walk everywhere, I didn't have a problem. Then slowly over the years, I would stop and sit on a bench at MK for a minute or two and continue on. Then over the years there were more frequent stops to sit on a bench and people watch and then continuing on my trek through the parks.

Then I found it difficult to get from my resort room to the bus, etc..

And over the years they removed all of the benches from almost everywhere around the MK center square and up and down the sidewalks. There used to be benches in a lot of places in MK and other parks and everywhere else. I surmise that as MK got more crowded they removed the benches so that the sidewalks would not be as crowded.

That's when I rented a scooter at MK, and it was great except of the issues with of using the scooter among walking people.

But, I still had a problem getting from the bus to my resort room and visa versa.

So I rented a scooter from an outside source, and I used it everywhere. Such freedom to go and explore other resorts and out of the way places.

Then next year I bought my own three wheel portable scooter that I take with me to WDW. I have been doing that ever since.

Now, even with the scooter, and the older I have gotten' I don't spend as much time each day in the parks because of medical reasons.

But I still enjoy WDW and just go at a much slower pace until I get that feeling. I might even do an every other day thing where I would go to a park for half of a day, and then stay at a resort every other day.

It sounds like your parents have great genes, and they are much healthier and stronger than me.

Just keep an eye on them, and try to determine their pace. Let them people watch, enjoy the shows and what rides that they want. But even though they may be smiling, they may be tired and slowing down or even in pain.

Even though I may make a great schedule to follow in the parks, I have been just going with the flow and cancelling reservations in the allotted time if I can.

Good luck.

Ray

Last edited:
We just got back from BCV with my father who needed an ECV, we rented one from an outside company, the transportation on the buses isn't bad to and from the MK or AK. It is really convenient to getting to Epcot and not bad along the pathway to HW, the ECV can go faster than what my wife and I usually walk. The battery on the scooter had no problem lasting the whole day and we usually went from 7am to 8pm in the parks without a recharge.

We must have been quite a site to see, with one single stroller, one double stroller, and one ECV, all lined up trudging through the parks. I think getting on and off the buses was the only issue we had, the rest of the time the ECV worked out great for my father.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter