Earliest flight you would consider after half marathon?

Isabelle12345

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
Looking into flights for Wine and Dine week-end, there are no flights out to my hometown on the Monday after the race, so we would either need to fly out on Sunday or Tuesday. My travel partner cannot afford to take Monday and Tuesday off work, so it looks like we would have to leave on Sunday.
I was hoping to do the challenge, she will be doing the 10K
What is the earliest time you would consider for a flight after the race? I am expecting to finish in less than 2hrs - So hopefully finish around 7-7:15 and be ready to leave for the resort around 7:30
Would an 11:30 flight be cutting it too short?
I would Uber back from the race to the resort to avoid buses, and then Uber to MCO; obviously I would need to do a quick shower in between
Is that crazy? (I think it is and I should do only the 10K, but I wanted other people’s thoughts who are as crazy about Rundisney as I am - because it makes me sad to skip the challenge 😂)

Looking into flights for Wine and Dine week-end, there are no flights out to my hometown on the Monday after the race, so we would either need to fly out on Sunday or Tuesday. My travel partner cannot afford to take Monday and Tuesday off work, so it looks like we would have to leave on Sunday.
I was hoping to do the challenge, she will be doing the 10K
What is the earliest time you would consider for a flight after the race? I am expecting to finish in less than 2hrs - So hopefully finish around 7-7:15 and be ready to leave for the resort around 7:30
Would an 11:30 flight be cutting it too short?
I would Uber back from the race to the resort to avoid buses, and then Uber to MCO; obviously I would need to do a quick shower in between
Is that crazy? (I think it is and I should do only the 10K, but I wanted other people’s thoughts who are as crazy about Rundisney as I am - because it makes me sad to skip the challenge 😂)
What time do the roads re-open after the start? (Consulting the event guide from princess weekend before it disappears for SS might give you an idea.) That may affect your timing if you can’t get out of Epcot at 7:15.

I usually finish the half around 7 and have never had a problem getting the bus right away. Of course, they could do something crazy with the course causing delayed road reopening.

The big thing to keep in mind is that mco security can take a couple of hours. Theoretically, if everything goes well, you could leave your hotel by 8:30 and be fine. However, I strongly suggest looking for an afternoon flight if one is available to give yourself more wiggle room.

Me personally no way to 11:30 flight out of MCO. I ran under 2 hrs at Princess and can tell you the buses are slow. So let’s assume 5:10-515 corral start. That’s 7:10-7:15. You’ve got the recovery walk with the medal hand out and buses. Ride back to hotel and shower is another hour at a minimum. You’d have to have everything already packed with fresh clothes laid out. MCO airport is nuts so you’d likely have to leave 2 1/2 - 3 hrs before flight. Boarding on a 11:30 flight probably starts at 10:50. I say no way

I am expecting to finish in less than 2hrs - So hopefully finish around 7-7:15 and be ready to leave for the resort around 7:30

Do you have a POT that would place you in the A corral? If not, you likely aren't starting until sometime after 5 a.m.

Also, do you have TSA pre-check (or could you get it)? That would save A LOT of time.

Are you going to be checking bags?

If you have your ducks in a row - and everything goes right - it's possible. But you have to know yourself (and your travel partner) and how crazy is the "go-go-go" going to make you.

If you go for it, make sure that you have plans to eat something substantial somewhere along the line.

this plan also assumes the race starts on time (no weather/transportation delays to the start of the race) AND that nothing happens during (or before) the race that would make you slow down.....like an injury. If a later flight is an option, I definitely wouldn't chance the early one since getting home on a specific day is the goal. What happens if you miss the flight?

Is it possible? Probably. Is it something I would try? No. Plenty of people fly out the same day as the race but its typically late afternoon-evening-night. If you do attempt I would make sure you have pre-check or clear to help get through TSA and that you do only carry ons. This will help with timing.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply - it makes me realize it was really crazy!
I think I just needed to hear it from others and get it out of my system!
I will be attempting to register for the 10K tomorrow then! There’s always next time for the challenge!! 😜

A bit confused (and i actually think 11:30 is doable lol, but definitely a risk). Is that the only flight option on Sunday?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter