• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Early May Crowds?

Boo

DVC BWV '98
What are crowds like in early May for DLP? Weather? Are children still in school? We are planning to visit early to middle May and just want to get a feel for the park at that time. We love that time of year for WDW as it is warm and not very crowded- past the spring break rush. Just wondering if it is an equally ideal time for DLP. Thanks!

We have been to DLP twice, once the third week of May and then again last year the first week of June. Both times the park was virtually empty on weekdays and we were able to ride continuously (without getting off rides). It was great!! It did get marginally busier during weekends so my advice is to try to go from Monday to Thursday to avoid crowds. We are off to DLP again from May 22-27. The weather at this time of year is wonderful-not too hot but nice and comfortable and sunny with occasional showers-all round great time to visit park. The only negative that I can see is that you will miss fantillusion but in my opinion the positives outweigh this negative. Hope this helps.

Thanks Nicola for the info! We will be sure to plan for a Mon-Thurs stay! Hearing that it's a good time to travel there, is making me even more excited about the prospect!

The first week in May will be slightly busier than normal because some (although not all) French children have this week off from school - as we found out when we went last week! Also British kids tend to get either the last week in May or first week in June off, so the middle of May seems the best bet for you.

Oh No!!! Does anyone know when half term is for kids in uk? We are going May 22-27. Fingers crossed we will miss it.

Dont panic! We are also going 22nd May. The half term breakin our area (Kent) is week beg 30th May, so we should be ok - fingers crossed!!! :sunny:

I hope that by June 10th (our trip!), the kids will be back at school all across Europe. ;) Although we will be there for a weekend. (It a choice between weekend crowds or weekend travel, and I think I'd prefer the former!)

nicola said:
Oh No!!! Does anyone know when half term is for kids in uk? We are going May 22-27. Fingers crossed we will miss it.
Half term is normally the week that begins with the last Monday in May (i.e. the second May bank holiday). For 2006, that means it's 29th May - 2nd June :) .

Reading over this posts- I'm now curious... Do European children go to school year round with their breaks posted periodically? Do they not have a three month summer vacation as we do in the States? Some schools in the U.S. follow a year round plan, but it is definitely in the minority. Just curious about the cultural differences. I find it all very fascinating.

Hi Boo!

I can only speak for the UK but very roughly these are the school breaks we get:

One week in mid February (Feb Half Term)
Two weeks or so at Easter
One week at the end of May
Mid July to end of Aug / beginning Sept is the "long" summer holiday
One week towards the end of October
Two weeks or so over Xmas

So we have three "terms" and each term has a week off halfway through (Feb, May, Oct) with the Xmas, Easter and Summer holidays being the "main" holidays.

Does that make sense? There is talk about this changing and not all schools follow the above but most do at present :)

Thank you Miffy2003 for helping me put it into context! Now it makes more sense about why DLP has certain high vs. low seasons!
Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter